Little Creatures

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peter.brandon

Reaction score
Hi,

As this will be my first post i would like to say what a great site and the list of recipes ... awesome! I am looking to brew a little creatures pale ale this weekend and was thinking the following:

5kg JW Traditional Ale
0.25kg Crystal
0.25kg Carapils
Cascade hops - maybe to 30 IBU - not sure what hop schedule yet
US05 - yeast slurry i kept from pervious brew

My questions are:
1) Is US05 yeast ok or should i use WLP001 for authentic taste or is US05 ok?
2) Is just using cascade yeast ok or should i add other hop varities?
3) What IBU's should the brew be? 25? 30? 40? any suggestions on the hop schedule?

Cheers,

Pete

Welcome to AHB, try having a serch for "little creatures Pale ale recipes" there's a whole heap of them on here. IMO I think you'll be fine with just Cascade, US-05 would be fine but as always liquid is gonna be better, IBU wise I think about 40ish.

Welcome to AHB, try having a serch for "little creatures Pale ale recipes" there's a whole heap of them on here. IMO I think you'll be fine with just Cascade, US-05 would be fine but as always liquid is gonna be better, IBU wise I think about 40ish.

LCPA definitely needs some late added/dry hopped chinook.

+1 for the search function. you'll find lots of helpful info

Hi,

As this will be my first post i would like to say what a great site and the list of recipes ... awesome! I am looking to brew a little creatures pale ale this weekend and was thinking the following:

5kg JW Traditional Ale
0.25kg Crystal
0.25kg Carapils
Cascade hops - maybe to 30 IBU - not sure what hop schedule yet
US05 - yeast slurry i kept from pervious brew

My questions are:
1) Is US05 yeast ok or should i use WLP001 for authentic taste or is US05 ok?
2) Is just using cascade yeast ok or should i add other hop varities?
3) What IBU's should the brew be? 25? 30? 40? any suggestions on the hop schedule?

Cheers,

Pete

Welcome Pete to AHB

1. S05 will be fine just make sure to ferment it 17-20C
2. Cascade is great but maybe some Centennial/Amarillo american hops as well? Keep the hopping on the aroma/flavour end of the boil (eg 20mins and on) and definitely late/dry Hop like you stole it.
3. Between 30 and 40 will be nice

Happy brewing

Chappo

I used Super Alpha for the 60min, and Cascade for the rest.

I love amarillo, JSGA is my fav drink; so I try and not use it in all my brews as I want a distinctly different flavour.

Also try a search for 'Sierra Navada Pale Ale' it's basically the same drink.

QldKev

edit: spellung

I did a small extract batch a while back using all Fuggles - neck to neck with the LCPA I must say is almost exactly identical :p

...or am I crazy?

I did a small extract batch a while back using all Fuggles - neck to neck with the LCPA I must say is almost exactly identical :p

...or am I crazy?

Yes, you are crazy. :) What was the origin of the Fuggles you used in this beer? I've only used the U.K variety and I don't find a similarity to anything in LCPA.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Guess its time to ponder all those points over a beer!

Cheers,
Pete

Also try a search for 'Sierra Navada Pale Ale' it's basically the same drink.

I must disagree with this in the most vehement fashion. Well, actually I guess I'll try to do it quite reservedly and be polite but I'm sure you get the gist. I've never had a SNPA in the US but by the time it gets here it is a very different beast to the LCPA. IMO, obviously. The SNPA is my second favourite beer and, despite the absolute gushing over this beer that occurs on this board, the LCPA raises little more than a "meh" from me.

Horses for courses and all that, naturally.

SNPA is all Cascade as far as I'm aware. LCPA uses EKG in the boil and a late hop combo of Cascade and Chinook.

SNPA is slightly easier to clone IMO due to the yeast character. There's a particular flavour of US-05 yeast, which I assume also appears in its liquid equivalents. It's present in SNPA and every home brew made using US-05 I've ever tried. For some reason it's not in LCPA.

LCPA apparently uses WLP-001 or 1056 but somehow manages a (even) more neutral yeast character.

You posted this for some reason in the kits and extract forum, anyway I moved it into the grain brewers forum.

recipe looks good just late hop it well, 30g at 20mins and at least that at 0mins, specs should be around 1.055 40ibu.
30 ibu is too low for this beer it needs a refreshing bitterness at the end, at 30ibu the end will be a short full flat grainy sweet malt with this floral, citrus, catty and grassy hop floating on top of it.
Anyway 40ibu.

So they bitter with both and don't do a flavour addition? Or is finishing flavour and aroma or just aroma? I would think cascade is added to the whirlpool....

This is my favourite beer, I travel to LA once a year for work, have done for 5 years now.... main reason I love to get there is to get a fresh SNPA.

I have cloned it, through a recipe adjusting process... and it is Perle flavouring.

Many have.... Its Perle flavouring.

:icon_cheers:

EDIT: Link for Bum

Excellent link. Bookmarked. Thanks heaps for that.

You posted this for some reason in the kits and extract forum, anyway I moved it into the grain brewers forum.

recipe looks good just late hop it well, 30g at 20mins and at least that at 0mins, specs should be around 1.055 40ibu.
30 ibu is too low for this beer it needs a refreshing bitterness at the end, at 30ibu the end will be a short full flat grainy sweet malt with this floral, citrus, catty and grassy hop floating on top of it.
Anyway 40ibu.

Thanks!

I must disagree with this in the most vehement fashion. Well, actually I guess I'll try to do it quite reservedly and be polite but I'm sure you get the gist. I've never had a SNPA in the US but by the time it gets here it is a very different beast to the LCPA. IMO, obviously. The SNPA is my second favourite beer and, despite the absolute gushing over this beer that occurs on this board, the LCPA raises little more than a "meh" from me.

Horses for courses and all that, naturally.

Tell me then, why is it soo different. LCPA would have a reduced amount of Crystal, and extra Cascade in the auroma; making it more hoppier and not as balanced as the SNPA; but why such a strong reaction.?

QldKev

Latest posts

Back