Little Creatures

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not so much a strong reaction as a complete lack of one. I know LCPA is a favourite of many, and I'm sure it is a well constructed beer, but I get nothing from it. They may well use similar hops but I think that makes it pretty far from being "the same drink". I wish I saw in it what you do - I'd love to be able to get a beer of similar quality to SNPA at Safeway (at less than half the price, no less) but for me the comparison ends at "yeah, I can taste Big C hops".

Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers (I try to save that for Off Topic or The Pub ;) )but I think telling someone to clone a SNPA when they are asking for an LCPA recipe is not the most helpful advice (although I know which I'd rather make).

On that matter, if anyone didn't click the link directed to me by Cocko it is an excellent SNPA cloning resource. Currently using it to work out a partial recipe.

Not so much a strong reaction as a complete lack of one. I know LCPA is a favourite of many, and I'm sure it is a well constructed beer, but I get nothing from it. They may well use similar hops but I think that makes it pretty far from being "the same drink". I wish I saw in it what you do - I'd love to be able to get a beer of similar quality to SNPA at Safeway (at less than half the price, no less) but for me the comparison ends at "yeah, I can taste Big C hops".

Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers (I try to save that for Off Topic or The Pub ;) )but I think telling someone to clone a SNPA when they are asking for an LCPA recipe is not the most helpful advice (although I know which I'd rather make).

On that matter, if anyone didn't click the link directed to me by Cocko it is an excellent SNPA cloning resource. Currently using it to work out a partial recipe.

Once again, a response with no facts at all!!!

Your only saying if it isn't imported and it doesn't cost heaps it can't be good?

Give me a true comparison, malt, temps, hops, yeast. I explained how a starting recipe can be obtained; you've only bagged my response with nothing worthwhile.

But I guess after 7 months you know all....

QldKev

Jesus, dude. Take your pills.

Dear all,

Thanks for you help, i brewed the LCPA over the weekend as follows:

5kg JW Trad. Pale
0.25kg Crystal
0.25kg carapils
130g Cascade hops 6.3%
WLP001 Califorian Ale Yeast

Single infusion mash

hop schedule:
40g @ 60min
30g @ 20min
30g @ flame out
when i rack to secondary another 30g

The only problems was i was brewing with a mate and drinking some LCPA at the time and forgot to measure mash PH and add salts .... DOH!

Brewing efficiency was down with an OG of 1:044 for 22Litres

Cant wait until its ready.

For those that have mentioned SNPA, i lived in Colorado for 2 years and enjoyed many a SNPA amongst many others (mmmm Fat Tire). So i know what you are talking about but this time my preference was for a LCPA.

Cheers,
Peter

Mate here's a recipe that I've found for LCPA. Plenty of late and dry hops. Attached a photo from the LC brewery too. Ingredients are similar so should be a faithful clone.

24L batch

3.75 kg Pale Malt
1.00 kg AA Munich I
0.35 kg AA Wheat Malt
0.35 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine
40.00 gm East Kent Goldings 60 min
5.00 gm Chinook 60 min
30.00 gm Cascade 20 min
30.00 gm Cascade 10 min
10.00 gm Chinook 5 min

50.00 gm Chinook 0 min
50.00 gm Chinook Dry Hop 3-4 days
0.50 tsp Koppafloc

US-05

LCPA_ingredients.jpg

Mate here's a recipe that I've found for LCPA. Plenty of late and dry hops. Attached a photo from the LC brewery too. Ingredients are similar so should be a faithful clone.

24L batch

3.75 kg Pale Malt
1.00 kg AA Munich I
0.35 kg AA Wheat Malt
0.35 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine
40.00 gm East Kent Goldings 60 min
5.00 gm Chinook 60 min
30.00 gm Cascade 20 min
30.00 gm Cascade 10 min
10.00 gm Chinook 5 min

50.00 gm Chinook 0 min
50.00 gm Chinook Dry Hop 3-4 days
0.50 tsp Koppafloc

US-05

That would be my recipe from last year and it is quite close to the real thing, I think Plyers beer will be more like SNPA than LCPA without any chinook.

cheers

Browndog

Back