Little Creatures Style

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being a new brewer this thread has given me alot of headaches with my method of brewing. I do not understand the whole process of boiling. Does it really make your beer that much better than if you use cool boiled water to mix it together?
Are there any good sites or documents that give a detailed outline to the process of boiling for the novice, i have too many questions.
Cheers

the only advantage to boiling your water to fill your carboy with is that its cleaner than tap water and will give you less chance of infection.

the main reason home brewers do boils is to boil hops to give extra bitterness/flavour/aroma.

its a very simple process.

to do a mini boil, just take a nice big pot, fill with a few litres of water, some malt extract, and then once boiling, add hops.

depending on what you are aiming for, you boil hops for different amounts of time.

for bitterness, 60minutes is good.
flavour, 20-30 minutes is the best
and for aroma, 5-0 minutes (where zero minutes means you add them as you take the pot off the head while the wort is still hot).

if you are still a kit + kilo brewer, give this method a go. you will be amazed at just how great a beer you can really make from doing something so simple.

once you have given it a try, you're practically doing extract brewing.

the best thing about making beer this way is you control what bitterness and flavour your beer will have.

from extract brewing, you can then step up to all grain, but thats a different kettle of fish :p

If LCPA DOESN'T have Chinook in it I'll eat my hat. It stands out like the proverbial dog's... in a good way of course.
ok i' m givin' the old chinook a go ...whats the go ...say 12g cascade @15 mins, 12 g chinook @ 15 mins same for aromra at flame out ...you think this would be the ok yeah? (add all the other stuff of course..tin of goo, sugar etc..)
cheers simpletotoro

Simpletorotoro - I am unable to advise on chinook aroma additions, I've only ever used it to bitter, in combination with Willamette for later additions (that worked well.)

If Little Creatures use Chinook for late additions, it obviously works well that way too. Either way you will definitely notice its presence. I love the stuff, can't get enough of it!

ok i' m givin' the old chinook a go ...whats the go ...say 12g cascade @15 mins, 12 g chinook @ 15 mins same for aromra at flame out ...you think this would be the ok yeah? (add all the other stuff of course..tin of goo, sugar etc..)
cheers simpletotoro

I'd stick to flame out for the chinook - the flowers are added to their hopback not the boil, I believe.

cheers Ross

G'day! I recently had success with this reasonably simple recipe found in a magazine at my local HBS (with some slight modifications):

Coopers Premium Selection Traditional Draught 1.7kg
Thomas Coopers Wheat Malt Extract 1.5kg
Dextrose 300g
50g Cascade pellets 6% AAU
Safale US-56 / US-05 American Ale Yeast 11.5g

Delicious!

G'day! I recently had success with this reasonably simple recipe found in a magazine at my local HBS (with some slight modifications):

Coopers Premium Selection Traditional Draught 1.7kg
Thomas Coopers Wheat Malt Extract 1.5kg
Dextrose 300g
50g Cascade pellets 6% AAU
Safale US-56 / US-05 American Ale Yeast 11.5g

Delicious!

Thanks for the recipe

When and how do you add the hops?

Thanks for the recipe

When and how do you add the hops?

From my log:

Hop process 60 minute boil. Brought 2 litres of water to the boil, added 15g at 1 hour, added 15g at 45 minutes, and added 20g at 55 minutes.

Next time (due to knewly acquired knowledge) I'd do a much shorter boil of 20 minutes and add 15g at 20 minutes, 15g at 10 minutes and 15g at 2 minutes.

Good luck with it!

From my log:

Hop process 60 minute boil. Brought 2 litres of water to the boil, added 15g at 1 hour, added 15g at 45 minutes, and added 20g at 55 minutes.

Next time (due to knewly acquired knowledge) I'd do a much shorter boil of 20 minutes and add 15g at 20 minutes, 15g at 10 minutes and 15g at 2 minutes.

Good luck with it!

Thanks for the advice.
I will try the same
:party: :party:

Latest posts

Back