Little Creatures Rogers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MitchDudarko

Reaction score
Nice beer. Dark ale colour, but still quite transparent. Not too aromatic, but I have had the flu for a week and i'm just starting to recover. Lovely malty taste, slightly bitter aftertaste but nothing to get excited about. Not a great head retention pouring from stubbie to glass and light on carbonation. I reckon I could drink 6 tops before I started reaching for something else.
Mitch :)

I've noticed the bottle quality has been poor lately. With a lot of 6 packs having a metallic taste. Probably more a result of retail storage tho, as it's great at the brewery...

They had it at a pub near where I am in Newcastle. Out of a keg its the best ever. Out of a bottle I reckon its pretty top stuff too, I could drink way more than 6. And as a bonus, could probably still stand up at the end of it! :p

Love the Rogers.

Shame about it being a mid-strength beer though (3.8% alc/vol). With the Little Creatures Brewery pricetags, I keep reaching for the fuller strength bevvies in their stable - but it is darn good.

Hopper.

Best thing about it is that its a midstrength. Means I can have a decent drop and still be designated driver.

It's not like it tastes like a midstrength.

Best thing about it is that its a midstrength. Means I can have a decent drop and still be designated driver.

It's not like it tastes like a midstrength.
Take on board that the low alc/vol can be handy and see your point there.

I guess its a climate thing too - midstrength brewskis don't sell so well in colder places like Vic. Whereas in QLD they'll drink truckloads of XXXX Gold midstrength and Carlton MidStrength. Guess WA would be way warmer than out our way so the mids would have more of a following too as a category. You can drink 'em in the sun for longer.

Tis' personal preferences - but myself, if I'm buying a mid I'd want to be shelling out cash at a Mid-Strength price. Otherwise, its Little Creatures Pale or Bright Ales for this little black duck. Very yum.

Hopper.

Yeah, the Mids really come into their own if your the DD, and as mentioned, up in the warmer parts of the country (like here in QLD) they're great for a summer afternoon.

I'm really getting into making quality mid-strength beers myself atm. It's good fun :)

At least something like Rogers only set you back $15/6-pack. Pretty good value - and even better by the carton!

Cheers

I'm not sure if it's the same out your way, Rogers sells for ~$15 per six pack here, while the pale normally sells for ~$18. Pretty fair I think, given that there is probably only slightly less grain and hops added. Certainly no other midstrength on the market that is comparable IMHO.

Also worth remembering that the rogers is 3.8% ABV, not far off being a 'full strength' beer. That being said I certainly enjoy a few on the days when I have to drive, but not only that on the days when you're damned thirsty and a pale or a bright is going to be a little too sweet and full.

Love the Rogers.

Shame about it being a mid-strength beer though (3.8% alc/vol). With the Little Creatures Brewery pricetags, I keep reaching for the fuller strength bevvies in their stable - but it is darn good.

Hopper.
I don't think I'll ever understand this Australian obsession and perception that beer that is lower than 4.5-5% alcohol is somehow less of a beer :blink: It just confuses me. Some of the best flavoured, best bodied beers I've ever had have been between 3.1-4%. Not that I have anything against beers that are higher in alcohol. I just find it unusual, particularly amongst brewers, that people can be so dismissive of anything thats not 'full' strength. I think it's a throwback to the mid strength (usually lagers) common in this country from the megaswill corporations.

I haven't tried this particular beer as yet, but after reading this thread, I'll go out and try one ASAP.
Just my 2c.

I don't think I'll ever understand this Australian obsession and perception that beer that is lower than 4.5-5% alcohol is somehow less of a beer :blink: It just confuses me. Some of the best flavoured, best bodied beers I've ever had have been between 3.1-4%. Not that I have anything against beers that are higher in alcohol. I just find it unusual, particularly amongst brewers, that people can be so dismissive of anything thats not 'full' strength. I think it's a throwback to the mid strength (usually lagers) common in this country from the megaswill corporations.

I haven't tried this particular beer as yet, but after reading this thread, I'll go out and try one ASAP.
Just my 2c.

I agree 100%.

I also dont understand how the higher the alcohol the better it must be. Surely the beer should be judged on taste.
I detest the term "mid strength"
Regards

Graeme

Hear, hear!

I've had some incredibly flavourful milds and bitters. Not to mention some other stranger concoctions like kvass.

I'm a great fan of Roger's as a commercial beer I can drink a couple of then drive. Its 1 std drink per bottle too, making it easy to monitor your intake.

+2 hmm 3.8% abv is full strength for an ale. Although Mercs_own will try to disagree :unsure:

5% abv is getting up to special/premium bitter territory bordering on ESB.

"So many places borrow other people's culture. There are Irish, English and Belgian places. We wanted to create something that reflected the local area.'

Hallertau's biggest selling brew is Luxe. It's a light, golden ale based on a German beer called Kolsch, fresh and grassy with a hint of tropical fruit. Plowman says it's a beer for sauvignon blanc drinkers.

So you brew something based on a highly exclusive German style, and name your brewery after a German hop....brilliant!

lol

Thought id share this from an article on Hallertau brewpub, thought it sums up mega swill drinkers pretty well...

'Plowman and his wife Hayley set up Hallertau two years ago when they returned to New Zealand after living overseas.

"We thought the bar and pub scene in Auckland was really tedious,' he explains. "So many places borrow other people's culture. There are Irish, English and Belgian places. We wanted to create something that reflected the local area.'

Trained as a brewer in Australia, one of Plowman's first jobs was to come up with the four very distinctive beers that are always on tap at Hallertau. All are made from New Zealand-grown hops and Plowman says they're aimed more at wine lovers than diehard beer drinkers. "Beer drinkers in New Zealand tend to suffer really badly from brand loyalty.

"They will go and buy the same box of beer every week. But very few wine drinkers stick to the same wine week after week. They're always trying different types and are aware of the flavours.'

Hallertau's biggest selling brew is Luxe. It's a light, golden ale based on a German beer called Kolsch, fresh and grassy with a hint of tropical fruit. Plowman says it's a beer for sauvignon blanc drinkers.
Did my brewing training with Steve, well started a year before him , a really nice bloke.Hope to get over there to see what he is brewing.
GB

Hear, hear!

I've had some incredibly flavourful milds and bitters. Not to mention some other stranger concoctions like kvass.

I'm a great fan of Roger's as a commercial beer I can drink a couple of then drive. Its 1 std drink per bottle too, making it easy to monitor your intake.
+1 on both the flavourful mild, it is as much of a challenge to brew a good one as any other beer
+2 on the 1std drink per stubby, for many years this has been been my drink of choice for parties where I am DD and my partner is also dd "designated drinker"

Inspired by this thread I opted to be the DD tonight when Mrs Doogiechap and I went to Little Creatures for dinner tonight. The Rogers was fantastic ! Time to track down Roger Mellies clone recipe and try to punch out something similar at home. :rolleyes: .

I don't think I'll ever understand this Australian obsession and perception that beer that is lower than 4.5-5% alcohol is somehow less of a beer :blink: It just confuses me.

Not sure if high alc/vol is just an obsession in Oz - You could argue that the Belgians have an obsession with high alc/vol beer. Those trappist monks know a thing or two about ramping it up! And well beyond our levels!

Hopper.

Inspired by this thread I opted to be the DD tonight when Mrs Doogiechap and I went to Little Creatures for dinner tonight. The Rogers was fantastic ! Time to track down Roger Mellies clone recipe and try to punch out something similar at home. :rolleyes: .

Doug - good luck

Some major differences with the 3 clones I have attempted.

All have been > 4.5% and whilst the Chinook/Cascade hop combo is close I think I am still way off. Shouldn't stop trying though.

What I wouldn't do for a Rogers right now. I am on a project in Korea where the 2 beers available are called HITE (missing an S) and CASS (missing an R). Wine is hideously expensive, 375 mls of Dimple is available in the supermarket for AUD 31. Supposedly there are some decent bars in Seoul but I am stuck in BF Idaho - so...

Liver is getting a good (well earned) rest.

RM

<br />Doug - good luck<br /><br />Some major differences with the 3 clones I have attempted.<br /><br />All have been &gt; 4.5% and whilst the Chinook/Cascade hop combo is close I think I am still way off. Shouldn't stop trying though.<br /><br />What I wouldn't do for a Rogers right now. I am on a project in Korea where the 2 beers available are called HITE (missing an S) and CASS (missing an R). Wine is hideously expensive, 375 mls of Dimple is available in the supermarket for AUD 31. Supposedly there are some decent bars in Seoul but I am stuck in BF Idaho - so...<br /><br />Liver is getting a good (well earned) rest.<br /><br />RM<br /><br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

Could it have the nelson sauvin hop? I love this beer and am eager for a clone recipe but havent found one.

Trying a coopers indian pale ale with 50 grams of NS in it (1/3 @10, 1/3 @5 and 1/3 dry at rack) and 1.5kg of LME... more of a hop thief if taste memory from 4 years ago works!

Latest posts

Back