Little Creatures Rogers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Smack would be after a K&K or extract recipe though, as would I!

Anyone care to convert the above recipe in the link to an extract for me?

I would but my Beersmith don't have Pale Choc and it aint on their site. I cant even find the specs to entre manually

Thought id share this from an article on Hallertau brewpub, thought it sums up mega swill drinkers pretty well...

'Plowman and his wife Hayley set up Hallertau two years ago when they returned to New Zealand after living overseas.

"We thought the bar and pub scene in Auckland was really tedious,' he explains. "So many places borrow other people's culture. There are Irish, English and Belgian places. We wanted to create something that reflected the local area.'

Hallertau's biggest selling brew is Luxe. It's a light, golden ale based on a German beer called Kolsch, fresh and grassy with a hint of tropical fruit. Plowman says it's a beer for sauvignon blanc drinkers.

Am I reading this right? :huh: Complaining about rip offs from other parts of the world, yet names his place Hallertau and the biggest seller is a kolsch? Not knocking his gear or his drive but, really, hasnt he done the same as the Irish, English, Belgian etc as above?

Am I reading this right? :huh: Complaining about rip offs from other parts of the world, yet names his place Hallertau and the biggest seller is a kolsch? Not knocking his gear or his drive but, really, hasnt he done the same as the Irish, English, Belgian etc as above?
I inherited his 'kolsch' at Colonial. It aint no Kolsch. I agree, Steve should just call it a Kiwi Summer Ale, but mind you, so should have I, especially after taking it as far down that austere Nelson Sauvin path as we did.

I think Smack would be after a K&K or extract recipe though, as would I!

Anyone care to convert the above recipe in the link to an extract for me?

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com

TYPE: Extract
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 21.00 L
Boil Size: 24.04 L
Estimated OG: 1.039 SG
Estimated Color: 11.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 24.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.73 kg Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 91.98 %
0.05 kg Crystal (Joe White) (72.0 SRM) Grain 2.34 %
0.05 kg Crystal, Dark (Joe White) (110.0 SRM) Grain 2.34 %
0.03 kg Chocolate Wheat Malt (400.0 SRM) Grain 1.67 %
0.03 kg Pale Chocolate (205.0 SRM) Grain 1.67 %
37.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 23.3 IBU
45.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (1 min) Hops 1.3 IBU

Thank-you very much, Glaab.

Side note: Guess what I'm brewing this Sunday!!

Would you use US-05, or go the English 04 option for dried yeasts?

photo.jpg

Here's a photo of the hop / grain bill taken last time i visited Lc's in freo, it could be of some help for those that are trying to clone the recipe.

Also Glabb, i'm no expect on AG --> Extract Recipe Conversion but you might want to bump the specialties % up a bit given you'll probably get a lower

efficiency, i don't think that they directly corrospond like that.

Rob.

Those blackboard photos are pure gold!

With regard to yeast, I'm not convinced US-05 is the best yeast for the Little Creatures range. While a neutral yeast it does have a very recognisable (sulphery?) flavour which is easy to pick in, say, SNPA, but I've never encountered in LC beers. Next time I have a go at something like Rogers, LCPA or LCBA I'm going to experiment with something like S-04 or Nottingham fermented cool...

View attachment 28672

Here's a photo of the hop / grain bill taken last time i visited Lc's in freo, it could be of some help for those that are trying to clone the recipe.

Also Glabb, i'm no expect on AG --> Extract Recipe Conversion but you might want to bump the specialties % up a bit given you'll probably get a lower

efficiency, i don't think that they directly corrospond like that.

Rob.

Beersmith did the conversion, I just entered the AG recipe

The version i make is a mix of amarillo, nelson sauvin and cascade.

2.75 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC) Grain 66.27 %
0.50 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 12.05 %
0.50 kg Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 12.05 %
0.30 kg Carared (Weyermann) (47.3 EBC) Grain 7.23 %
0.10 kg Chocolate Malt (Bairds) (1100.0 EBC) Grain 2.41 %
20.00 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (30 min) Hops 15.0 IBU
20.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.00 %] (10 min) Hops 8.8 IBU
10.00 gm Cascade [6.00 %] (10 min) Hops 2.4 IBU
20.00 gm Cascade [6.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05) Yeast-Ale

25L (75% efficiency)
OG 1.040
FG 1.016
ABV 3.1%
IBU 26
EBC 26

Mashed at 69, hence the higher than expected FG. i was aiming for a 3.8% beer but was still learning about mash temps and how much impact they have on FG.

So its more of a light beer than a mid-strength if you want to label it!

i also liked the extra flavour resulting from no 60 min addition.

Back