Little Creatures Pale Ale 20l Stovetop Recipe Ideas?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AussieJosh

Reaction score
Hey guys
I would not mind trying to give a beer that is kinda like LCPA (does not have to be exact) a crack for my second AG brew!
I have seen some Recipes on this site but they all contain a lot more grain then the 4g i used for my first AG, probably because there for a Large AG set up!?
Anyway i was looking for some ideas and what you guys think? I under stand the hops for LCPA are chinook and cascade.
So if any of you AG guys could give me an idea of what grain i should use and how much keeping in mind that im doing it on a stovetop, and if i should be using the chinook and cascade how much and when in the boil.
Cheers and thanks for your help guys!

Josh.

Not sure if you realise this, but you can use less of the base malt in any recipe and add some malt extract (liquid or dry) instead.

Hey guys
I would not mind trying to give a beer that is kinda like LCPA (does not have to be exact) a crack for my second AG brew!
I have seen some Recipes on this site but they all contain a lot more grain then the 4g i used for my first AG, probably because there for a Large AG set up!?
Anyway i was looking for some ideas and what you guys think? I under stand the hops for LCPA are chinook and cascade.
So if any of you AG guys could give me an idea of what grain i should use and how much keeping in mind that im doing it on a stovetop, and if i should be using the chinook and cascade how much and when in the boil.

Josh.

Josh, at the risk of sending this a little OT (and not helping out), I found when doing a stovetop beer (I've recently refurbished an esky for a Mash Tun), that 4.5kg worked better for me. Just so I wasn't spending the whole time worrying about efficiencies, and it made it a little easier to be a bit lazy on sparging. I found that 4kg, I always ran the risk of getting a SG just a bit lighter than I'd like.

Worse case scenario is that you end up with a higher than planned gravity and you need a little water to bring the gravity down. This means more beer at the end, so not a bad problem to have. I have more than once ended up with 32 bottles instead of 30.

Grain, not sure - though I do like Perle Malt (Bairds) at the moment as a base. It's cheap, has good diastatic qualities and a nice malty flavour. I buy 4kg x 3.50 per kg = $14 from a site sponsor (milled).

Goomba

Firstly have a look at Ralph's excellent MaxiBIAB Guide

As in the guide he usually uses 4.5kg of grain for his standard brew length and up to 5.5kg can be mashed in a 19L pot using this method.

However if you're set on using only 4.5kg of grain you could add a couple hundred grams of DME to the boil to get your gravity. For an LCPA type beer you want a starting gravity of about 1053.

So try this recipe;
Batch Size: 20.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated IBU: 42.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.25 kg Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 5.26 % (15min)
2.80 kg Ale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 SRM) Grain 58.95 %
1.10 kg Munich I Malt (Weyermann) (7.4 SRM) Grain 23.16 %
0.30 kg Carapils Malt (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM) Grain 6.32 %
0.30 kg Wheat Malt Pale (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM) Grain 6.32 %

5.00 gm Chinook [11.40 %] (60 min) Hops 6.8 IBU
15.00 gm East Kent Goldings [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 8.6 IBU
12.00 gm Cascade [5.00 %] (20 min) Hops 3.9 IBU
12.00 gm Chinook [11.40 %] (20 min) Hops 9.9 IBU
12.00 gm Chinook [11.40 %] (10 min) Hops 5.9 IBU
12.00 gm Cascade [5.00 %] (10 min) Hops 2.3 IBU
12.00 gm Chinook [11.40 %] (5 min) Hops 3.3 IBU
12.00 gm Cascade [5.00 %] (5 min) Hops 1.3 IBU
20.00 gm Cascade [5.00 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
20.00 gm Chinook [11.40 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -

1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

But if you want to keep it strictly all grain you've got 3 options;
1. try and fit more grain into the pot to get to your OG
2. make a smaller brew length to the same OG = less beer :(
3. lower your expected OG based on the amount of grain that you can comfortably mash. Since you've already said you're comfortable only getting 4.5kg in the pot. Then try this;

Batch Size: 20.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
Estimated IBU: 38.9 IBU
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.80 kg Ale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 SRM) Grain 62.22 %
1.10 kg Munich I Malt (Weyermann) (7.4 SRM) Grain 24.44 %
0.30 kg Carapils Malt (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM) Grain 6.67 %
0.30 kg Wheat Malt Pale (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM) Grain 6.67 %
15.00 gm East Kent Goldings [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 8.9 IBU
20.00 gm Cascade [5.00 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
10.00 gm Cascade [5.00 %] (20 min) Hops 3.4 IBU
10.00 gm Chinook [11.40 %] (20 min) Hops 8.5 IBU
10.00 gm Chinook [11.40 %] (10 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
10.00 gm Cascade [5.00 %] (10 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
10.00 gm Cascade [5.00 %] (5 min) Hops 1.1 IBU
10.00 gm Chinook [11.40 %] (5 min) Hops 2.8 IBU
5.00 gm Chinook [11.40 %] (60 min) Hops 7.1 IBU
20.00 gm Chinook [11.40 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -

1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Note that the IBU has been lowered also in the "lighter" version. This is to maintain the balance. Just reducing the grain amount and keeping at the same IBU will unbalanced overly bitter beer.

BTW... if it were me... i'd be trying to get as much grain into the pot as possible. You could always test it out by adding all your spec malt to the mash then progressively adding your base malt till you can add no more. Then adjust your hop addition based on the post boil gravity to create your target IBU. I reckon you could get more than 5kg in there.

Edit: for 20L brew length

Noticing that Chinook is 11.4% AA% - just an "out there" idea - have you thought of replacing with Citra (11.1%). I'm not sure if you are trying to get a clone of LCPA, or something similar or the same style but want to add your own creative touch.

Goomba

Hey, Quote from the an interview with the head brewer on Craftypint.com says the chinook was replaced with Galaxy

It used to be made using Cascade, Chinook and East Kent Goldings, then two or three years ago we phased out Chinook as Coors had taken it and switched to Galaxy but kept the balance.
The beer has changed a little over time but weve never made crazy changes.

http://craftypint.com/news/post/h100-behind-the-pale/

If you really want to do the all grain option and not ad any extract then you can always just make less beer.

Hey guys

Josh.

If you find a recipe for 24L and you want to make it 20L, divide 20 by 24 and then multiply that number by all the ingredients.

20/24 = 0.833.

0.833 x 5.35kg of base malt = 4.45kg.

If the 24L recipe needs 5.35kg then the 20L version needs 20/24ths, or 83%, or 4.45kg.

EDIT: your efficiency will go down horribly using much more than 4kg in a 19L pot.

Thanks for all th info guys!

I think i will use just the 4kg of grain, using the recpie argon put up but ill just use 2.30kg instead of his recomended 2.80 kg Ale Malt. And make it to 20L.
I know it will not be a LCPA clone but still think it will be a good drop!
Thanks again everyone!!! :)

Hey guys I just have a quick few questions, But first id like to say thank you Nick for your threads and replys and helping me to move to AG!

First off you said you would not add more then 4kg of grain for a 19L pot due to bad efficiency Id just like to know is there anyway i can make a 23L beer from your stove top method? Just because Id like to keg a batch but also bottle a few long necks to give to friends and age.

One more thing........

A AG friend of mine thinks that a 70c mash temp like the one sugested in your 20L stovetop method is a very high temp for a mash? After looking around at some AG recipies i noticed there are a bunch of diffrent mash temps people use. When i make my LCPA like im planning to do today (did not get around to it last week) how do i know if the temp should be 70c or lower? and do i leave them all for 90 mins? Cheers and thanks you so much for your help!

Josh.

Hey guys I just have a quick few questions, But first id like to say thank you Nick for your threads and replys and helping me to move to AG!

First off you said you would not add more then 4kg of grain for a 19L pot due to bad efficiency Id just like to know is there anyway i can make a 23L beer from your stove top method? Just because Id like to keg a batch but also bottle a few long necks to give to friends and age.

One more thing........

A AG friend of mine thinks that a 70c mash temp like the one sugested in your 20L stovetop method is a very high temp for a mash? After looking around at some AG recipies i noticed there are a bunch of diffrent mash temps people use. When i make my LCPA like im planning to do today (did not get around to it last week) how do i know if the temp should be 70c or lower? and do i leave them all for 90 mins? Cheers and thanks you so much for your help!

Josh.

Hi Josh,

I'm not Nick, and wouldn't deign to answer on his behalf. However, I increased the stovetop method (initially) - all I did was acquire a second big w pot (it was on special for $11) and a second lot of swiss voile and split the grain bill and did a double BIAB. My stove has (just) the amount of room required to put 2 big w pots on it.

That way I get a fullsized batch, without sacrificing efficiency.

Now I use an esky as a mash tun - I acquired a 55L very cheap on ebay. But other than a couple of alterations, I use the fundamentals from Nick's method, even now. The only time I don't get good beer, is when the brewer does something stupid/lazy.

Goomba

One more thing........

Josh.

For an LCPA i'd mash at 65C... so that'd mean i'd prepare the water at about 68-69C then add the grain to end up with 65C. No real need to mash for 90mins. Try a simple 60.

+1..... Approx 65-67c mash for 60min....most important to hold temp with towels etc...

Thanks for your help guys! Might post some pics of how things are going later on.

Cheers!

Back