Little Creatures Next Single Batch

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm ... seems a fairly typical comment ... with which I'd disagree. I think this SB compares very favourably with the first SB, a US IPA IIRC. They've upped the IBUs and the ABV, don't really see what people have to critcise. Of course there could be a bit of BS (Beer Snobbery) starting to take hold. I see a lot of posters with a lot of posts but nout much longevity.

have a look, doesnt even match the minimum bitterness for style. it is not a IIPA
14B. American IPA
Vital Statistics: OG FG IBUs SRM ABV 1.056 - 1.075, 1.010 - 1.018 ,40 - 60+ ,6 - 15, 5.5 - 7.5%
only just makes it for single ipa. if it was advertised as a ipa not an extreme iipa then maybe the disapointment wouldnt be so biting.

14C. Imperial IPA

Vital Statistics: 1.075 - 1.090, 1.012 - 1.020, 60 - 100+, 8 - 15 , 7.5 - 10+%

the bjcp might not be an almighty holy grail but in this instance it really highlights how weak they have brought it with this beer.
as i said nice enough beer but dipa it isnt. if you think thats bs or beer snobbery then so be it.

have a look, doesnt even match the minimum bitterness for style. it is not a IIPA
14B. American IPA
Vital Statistics: OG FG IBUs SRM ABV 1.056 - 1.075, 1.010 - 1.018 ,40 - 60+ ,6 - 15, 5.5 - 7.5%
only just makes it for single ipa. if it was advertised as a ipa not an extreme iipa then maybe the disapointment wouldnt be so biting.

14C. Imperial IPA

the bjcp might not be an almighty holy grail but in this instance it really highlights how weak they have brought it with this beer.
as i said nice enough beer but dipa it isnt. if you think thats bs or beer snobbery then so be it.

Its not uncommon to sneak outside the guidelines in a particular area, and still be "in style". But in saying that, I agree it doesn't taste hoppy enough for a IIPA. I wonder if LC cut back (with RO) and treat their water with gypsum, or use the chloride and sodium heavy tap water. This could explain a lack of apparent hoppiness (and touch of harshness) despite the bucketloads of hops that have gone into this beer.

I enjoyed it :icon_cheers:
I'll echo the 'not a IIPA' sentiment but a great drop and very happy that I found a case of it at Cellarbrations in Willagee.
I love the single batch concept and enjoy exploring the interpretations of various styles which may not necessarily be extreme but are far removed from the sea of insipid piss that we are typically exposed to commercially.

I don't care what style it fits. Had one yesterday - tasty beer, nice flavour and balance, noticeable resinous hops and no passionfruit (for once).

I'd happily sink a few more.

Hi Guys

Just read about this in Yesterdays Courier mail. They said the seven hops are Citra, Simcoe, Stella, Centennial, Chinook, Cascade and Columbus. Just thought i'd put it out there if anyone was interested.

Cheers

...............Of course there could be a bit of BS (Beer Snobbery) starting to take hold. I see a lot of posters with a lot of posts but nout much longevity.

mmm..........a bit of AHB snobbery perhaps! Since when did you need to be an AHB Grand Poobah to have an informed opinion.

My view came from having had IPAs and IIPAs in the US over the last 5 years while there numerous times for work. It was sold to me as IIPA by LC but it wasn't - simple! Also I didn't think it was that good but others do. That is the beauty of craft beer - everyone can have a view regardless of their AHB status.

A kind person (I have no idea who. and thank you whoever you are) brought some to the adelaide swap. I don't care what it's called. I loved it.

A kind person (I have no idea who. and thank you whoever you are) brought some to the adelaide swap. I don't care what it's called. I loved it.

= Mick. He was such a good chap he brought a few of them. Cheers Mick!

At the time I thought it a bit sweet and lacking punch. This was at the case swap after a variety of overly hopped beers/randals etc...
I saw one at a bottlo on Monday so bought a couple to try at home on a clean palate. Tasted nothing like it did at the swap... :D

I give it the thumbs up, nicely balanced and enjoyable though my palate couldn't detect the range of flavours I was expecting from 7 types of hops.
You wouldn't know it's a 7.8% ABV until it has snuck up on you.

finally tried this beer tonight . a nice beer with good hop aroma and flavour and well hidden alcohol given the abv. but was it a dipa? nowhere near it, had it next to a lagunitas ipa and a moon dog skunk works dipa witch both left it miles behind in bitterness and sheer hop presence. once again a beer wich while okay is no better than what other breweries are doing as day to day beers, thinking along the lines of holgate hopinater or hop hog witch is a bigger beer in every aspect other than alcohol and while lower in claimed bitterness has a higher percived bitterness than big dipper. when i see single batch on a label i think oh wow something special, more on the edge and extreme than the usual. once again little creatures has brought it weak and released an underwhelming beer. they seem to be content with just playing it safe while the rest of the craft beer producers just keep surpassing these piss weak efforts with theyre every day lines. i for one wont be bothering to rush out and try another single batch from little creatures unless they really do something special. 100+ ibu barley wine or 12% abv r.i.s or shock horror a sour beer for example, if they are shit scared it wont sell then maybe they should look at the example brewdog has set.

what a load of twaddle, I fail to see how you can say the LC are piss weak for introducing a nearly 8% abv very hoppy beer that is well packaged and distributed and well priced to customers, most of whom dont even realise there is a beer called a DIPA

If you think holgate hopinator is a good beer you need a palate transplant

Sorry, though I prefer LC ADIPA (alleged DIPA) to Holgate Hopinator (which I do like), it is weak, not in abv%, but in terms of what they allege they were trying to achieve (DIPA - hop head beer - all that).

And well priced it ain't. I had the SN PA, and thought that considering it came on a boat across the ocean, it was better priced and in no way a worse ale than LC.

Both are over-rated IMO - I've made way better and way hoppier. And considering a bottle of it from archive was half the cost of filling my own keg with said beer, I'd rather wait a couple more weeks for my next batch to be made and drinkable.

Don't get me wrong - I like the LC ADIPA, it's a great beer. But for the price and considering the marketing and claims about it, it's an epic fail.

If it were about 60% of the price and they'd bottled it as a strong APA, I'd be all over it like a fat kid in a lolly shop.

Goomba

its $4.50 a pint FFS, how cheap does it need to be?

A friend of mine picked up a case of pints for $50.00 and gave me one. I didn't sit there and analyse it, I just drank it and enjoyed it.

A friend of mine picked up a case of pints for $50.00 and gave me one. I didn't sit there and analyse it, I just drank it and enjoyed it.

Fair call.

In my defense:

1. At $10 a pint (in a bottle), I think I retain the right to analyse it - a right I wouldn't retain for a $3.50 bottle of Zwiec; and
2. I think homebrewers, once they get to a certain stage in their brewing, analyse their own beers (often quite critically in my case), and probably carry that habit wherever they try beer styled as "craft" - especially if they've made a beer similar in style.

Goomba

I phoned my mum and she picked me up a carton from the brewery. Thanks mum! :D

Now I'm looking forward to that week of R&R in Perth! :chug:

Fair call.

In my defense:

1. At $10 a pint (in a bottle), I think I retain the right to analyse it - a right I wouldn't retain for a $3.50 bottle of Zwiec; and
2. I think homebrewers, once they get to a certain stage in their brewing, analyse their own beers (often quite critically in my case), and probably carry that habit wherever they try beer styled as "craft" - especially if they've made a beer similar in style.

Goomba

And fair enough. If I'd paid $10.00 for it, I too would've analysed it. I paid $8.00 for a 330ml Imperial Stout the other week and ran a fine-tooth comb through each sip.

As the DIPA was free, I thought I'd just guiltlessly guzzle it.

It's about $7 a pint here in Brissie, depending on where you go.

I see the point that it's not really at the same level as the other DIPAs out there but it's not exactly the first time a beer has been mislabelled by a brewery/marketing campaign. From a purely critical standpoint I'd say it sits on the border between IPA and DIPA but in the end it just comes down to whether you enjoy it.

14B. American IPA

14C. Imperial IPA

One thing to point out here, and it may have been mentioned already but I'm not scrolling back through 20 pages:

LC's DIPA is 55 IBU's *measured*, not calculated. During fermentation the yeast can soak up nearly a third of the bitterness from the wort. And as far as I know, no brewing software I have seen takes this into account. They just give a calculated IBU value.

So, say you were brewing an Imperial IPA, looked to the BJCP guidelines and decided for your BU calculations to go down the middle (80 IBU). By the time your beer is in bottle and most of the yeast is gone, you may well have an actual bitterness of, well, 55 or so.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that the DIPA is a bit too smooth on the old bitterness. But, I think it was an excellent beer nonetheless. You don't see many Aussie beers on this scale tipping that balance in size, even if it is a bit light on. There's definitely hats off to that in my book.

Yeah I agree there is plenty of bitterness in that beer, its certainly not cloying. A quality IPA is all about the intense hop flavour/character and aroma, not the bitterness anyway.

Craft beer market is still very small here.
LC make really good beers, mostly very well balanced and yeah, nothing over the top.

They are not aiming at beer geek's plain and simple. They are trying to continue grow their market share and you don't win new customers, especially considering the rest of the beer market in this country buy making over the top beers.

I am grateful for their larger presence that's for sure cause when i run out of HB i at least have something to turn to thats pretty decent.

I enjoyed this current beer for what it is and try not to get to tied up about the name.

my humble penny for you all

Latest posts

Back