Little Creatures Next Single Batch

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two cartons? Everywhere in Perth seem to be limiting it to 4 bottles per person!

I had it at LC last night. While it is well balanced and well made, I was expecting a little more 'double' in my ipa. The alcohol is supremely well hidden, but it was there in effect. I also made the call that it tastes like a double LC Pale. Hops are sweet and resinous, but still restrained. Good beer, but didn't make me hang around for more than one.

Had a schooner yesterday at the Archive in West End, & thought it to be a very nice IPA. Balanced, and bringing their pale ale up to a serious percentage. Guess I was hoping for more of a hop-hit with the DIPA / 'Seven Hops' billing. Still, quite good, just not overwhelming.

Agree with the general consensus of being a double pale. Also thought the hops tasted a bit harsh, muddled, grassy and not like the US hops listed. For me there was little depth of hop flavour. Had a can of punk IPA just after it, and the punk blew the Dipper away for pure, clean, explosive hop flavour.

Geez these go quick... Droppped in to Chippendale Cellars yesterday, sold out... Called a place in Surry Hills, one in the fridge and none out back. Hoping to get some more in next week.... (might be dreaming) Dropped into St Peters today, sucess, grabbed a couple. Tasty. The fella there reckons they got 5 cases and can't get any more...

I enjoy hops so I wish LC would put something like this one on the roster full time. I understand that 80% of the Aussie public are not so huge on hops but it certainly suits me.
All good though, working my own house IPA which is as we know a pile of fun..

Drinking one right now at The End. Very restrained in both hop aroma and bitterness. Would definitely agree with everyone in saying that it tastes like a beefed up LCPA... A little underwhelming, and almost too balanced for an IPA I would say. Personally I prefer big in-your-face bitterness, and over-the-top hopping. Can see however, that this is a great step up for those who want to move from LCPA or similar into bigger, more hoppy beers....

Anyway, going to let my glass warm up and reevaluate. Will post an edit if I come up with any other thoughts...

Cheers!

After dropping into or telephoning EIGHT bottleshops this week (places that I thought would stock it), just tonight I managed to score a CASE of Big Dipper.

Anyone in Sydney want a tip-off, Concord Village Cellars on Majors Bay Road has ONE case left as of an hour ago.

To those wondering why there is little stock around.. LC SB of late have had less stock in bottle and more in keg for venues. Get it while it's around...

Also i find the Town Hall hotel in Balmain always has good stock around, even previous SB releases out of stock everywhere else.

Had me a pot at Archive yesterday, bought 2 pints to go too(had one tonight!). Not a bad IPA. Agree with what most are saying well balanced etc.... But hardly a x2 IPA IMO.

Anyone in Brissie interested getting their hands on a few bottles should check out Festival Cellars in Red Hill. They've got a good supply compared to some of the other bottle-o's I've seen.

I had purchased some from FC at Red Hill. They had 13 cases when I was in last night. Said they wouldn't sell by the case.

Was a little disappointed upon tasting; the specs of 55IBU and 7.8% already had me doubting! I have travelled a fair bit in the US and have had an opportunity to have most of the true IIPAs (Pliney the Elder etc). This is no where near a IIPA.

It certainly needs a bit more bitterness back bone and I would only class it as an IPA. I found it a bit cloying - potentially difficult to drink more than one.

I think there are better examples here in Oz. I would suggest you get a bottle to taste before buying a heap.

I preferred the Brown Ale.

Nice beer, very aromatic, well balanced. Didn't taste like 55IBU.

Given it cost me half a keg, and the said keg I started on after it, was at least as aromatic & bitter (though I will say their choice of hops was fantastic, well balanced and added the right complexity - "the hops played well together").

Goomba

I was heading passed Dans in Canningvale today and knowing that they usually receive a few cartons of the single batches I stopped in to grab a bottle to try.
I couldn't find any, so asked one of the helpful blokes if they had it in yet. (Not being sarcastic, he was helpful)
"Not yet. We should get it in a few weeks." When I told him that other independent stores are stocking it now he replied "Oh, I know. Because our headquarters are over east, all of the little creatures batches are transported over there to our main store and then shipped back over to W.A." He looked as bemused as I probably did.

Fresh!!!

BTW, there were about 4 pallets of beer sitting out in the sun around the back. Only CUB shite, so nothing to be concerned about.

Haha that is nice to know when shopping at Dans if i think I might pick up a few pint bottles of LCPA for a party that they arent from just down the road. My partner suprised me and picked up 2 bottles on the way home last night which went down a treat. Must say I do agree that the alc% is there but the bitterness isnt as in your face as id expect from a Double IPA. The hop combo is awesome but would have liked a little more IBUs. Good beer all round and looking forward to bottle 2!

Hmmm

Something interesting kicking around....details to come.

finally tried this beer tonight . a nice beer with good hop aroma and flavour and well hidden alcohol given the abv. but was it a dipa? nowhere near it, had it next to a lagunitas ipa and a moon dog skunk works dipa witch both left it miles behind in bitterness and sheer hop presence. once again a beer wich while okay is no better than what other breweries are doing as day to day beers, thinking along the lines of holgate hopinater or hop hog witch is a bigger beer in every aspect other than alcohol and while lower in claimed bitterness has a higher percived bitterness than big dipper. when i see single batch on a label i think oh wow something special, more on the edge and extreme than the usual. once again little creatures has brought it weak and released an underwhelming beer. they seem to be content with just playing it safe while the rest of the craft beer producers just keep surpassing these piss weak efforts with theyre every day lines. i for one wont be bothering to rush out and try another single batch from little creatures unless they really do something special. 100+ ibu barley wine or 12% abv r.i.s or shock horror a sour beer for example, if they are shit scared it wont sell then maybe they should look at the example brewdog has set.

Slowly destroyed a case over the last week..

Great beer, however i would have preferred a more robust hop flavour and aroma for a double IPA and a lot more bitterness.
Other than that it was quite well balanced and went down probably a bit to easy.

finally tried this beer tonight . a nice beer with good hop aroma and flavour and well hidden alcohol given the abv. but was it a dipa? nowhere near it, had it next to a lagunitas ipa and a moon dog skunk works dipa witch both left it miles behind in bitterness and sheer hop presence. once again a beer wich while okay is no better than what other breweries are doing as day to day beers, thinking along the lines of holgate hopinater or hop hog witch is a bigger beer in every aspect other than alcohol and while lower in claimed bitterness has a higher percived bitterness than big dipper. when i see single batch on a label i think oh wow something special, more on the edge and extreme than the usual. once again little creatures has brought it weak and released an underwhelming beer. they seem to be content with just playing it safe while the rest of the craft beer producers just keep surpassing these piss weak efforts with theyre every day lines. i for one wont be bothering to rush out and try another single batch from little creatures unless they really do something special. 100+ ibu barley wine or 12% abv r.i.s or shock horror a sour beer for example, if they are shit scared it wont sell then maybe they should look at the example brewdog has set.

I wouldn't go so far myself. There is no doubt that the products are more "market friendly" than say the "previous" LC SB's. Though, the products are much easier in a retail enviroment to sell, than say BrewDog. And that's from a shareholder in BrewDog.

There is a fine line between extreme development and market capability. LC is in a good spot right now, and one would have a hard time saying...move to something more extreme. Matilda Bay did numerous crazy things, side on side with their retail sales. Maybe LC should consider something like that if you think they need too.

This is no where near a IIPA.
Hmm ... seems a fairly typical comment ... with which I'd disagree. I think this SB compares very favourably with the first SB, a US IPA IIRC. They've upped the IBUs and the ABV, don't really see what people have to critcise. Of course there could be a bit of BS (Beer Snobbery) starting to take hold. I see a lot of posters with a lot of posts but nout much longevity.

Sorry hadn't read this one. This is real BS.

Back