Little Creatures Next Single Batch

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys,

As usual... the debate continues! I quite enjoyed this one.

We went for a very low mash temperature, and thus final gravity. My experience tells me - from both in the USA and Belgium - that when you start to arc up the alcohol content, that beers can be very cloying, heavy and unbalanced. The final gravity of this beer was only around 1.012, which is low for a strong beer - but I think this is important. A good reason why Duvel uses around 20% dextrose.....

As we only do these things once, it is always a big experiment. I can tell you a *%&^-load of hops went in, and I can tell you that the fact of the matter is that the bitterness was measured at 55IBU - not calculated. I have seen analyses of beers that say 100IBU that analyse at 48, but I think all that matters is the flavour and balance.....

With regards to style guidelines, according to the Brewers Association for a DIPA:

Original Gravity (Plato) 1.075-1.100 (18.2-23.7 Plato) ● Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (Plato) 1.012-1.020 (3-5 Plato) ●
Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 6.0-8.4% (7.5-10.5%) ● Bitterness (IBU) 65-100 ● Color SRM (EBC) 5-13 (10-26 EBC)

I guess we fell a touch short on the IBU, but we could have just posted the calcuated value on the label, and not the actual on the label..... Everything else seems to be in line with the guidelines? So not a DIPA.....? (but hey, I'm happy to put more hops in next time! :D )

Anyway, onto the next one!

Cheers,

Alex

people will moan when they can buy it...and then they will moan when they cant.
its as simple as that.

Was actually surprised to find this in my local.

I like it, but like about 50 million others have said, doesn't conform to my idea of a IIPA. It's good enough for me to be thinking about buying a box on the weekend though. Not really complaining at all.

My mates dropped into LC in freo on the weekend and had a couple of these, they were quite chuffed so I picked up a carton of this last night to crack one tonight for my birthday. Cost me $60 from big brews in warnbro! score!

I enjoyed it :icon_cheers:
I'll echo the 'not a IIPA' sentiment but a great drop and very happy that I found a case of it at Cellarbrations in Willagee.
I love the single batch concept and enjoy exploring the interpretations of various styles which may not necessarily be extreme but are far removed from the sea of insipid piss that we are typically exposed to commercially.

So it was you who cleaned them out before I could get in there...

Managed to grab the last 6 sitting on the shelf luckily

Thanks for posting, Alex.

Even though we are a tough audience, it shows balls to keep posting and putting yourself out there on this. Good on you.

I think (I hope) when I posted - I did mention it was really enjoyable - though unfortunately too quaffable for a 7.8% beer, I'd be under the table pretty quick if I drank it like I wanted to.

Given I have most of your hop varieties either in my freezer (or coming to a freezer soon), I'll definately have a crack at a 4.5% (mashed high, finish high) version of this.

And honestly, I'm getting to the point where I'm irritating myself with my beer geekiness, because I'm always analysing beers - mine or others. I'm my 2nd harshest critic (SWMBO is the 1st). I'm probably a bit OTT, but I enjoy beer making as a hobby, as well as beer drinking.

Cheers

Goomba

Popped in to the LC drinking hall in Fitzroy on Monday and had a pot, $5.50, was a good pale ale.

Good ipa, double or not. My favorite things were the lack of galaxy aroma/flavour and the well attenuated malt backbone

Hey,

One thing I should mention about bitterness....

We have had a number of these single batch beers to which we have added a heap of hops - the Dipper, Dreadnought Stout, IPA (the first single batch from last year) and the Brown Ale.... and all a bitterness of around the 50 - 55IBU mark. As gravity increases hop utilisation decreases, and as hop addition increases hop utilisation also decreases...

I guess it is interesting to actually see some text book material in action. And it seems that we will have to try even harder in the future to get the bitterness level up!

Cheers,

Alex

Hey,

One thing I should mention about bitterness....

We have had a number of these single batch beers to which we have added a heap of hops - the Dipper, Dreadnought Stout, IPA (the first single batch from last year) and the Brown Ale.... and all a bitterness of around the 50 - 55IBU mark. As gravity increases hop utilisation decreases, and as hop addition increases hop utilisation also decreases...

I guess it is interesting to actually see some text book material in action. And it seems that we will have to try even harder in the future to get the bitterness level up!

Cheers,

Alex
I wouldn't be too hung up on what some people are saying here. This is a rad beer and I'd be stoked if I could walk into a pub and buy it. I'd be stoked if I could make anything half as good for that matter.

But if you want to up the iboo's then wack a heap of galaxy in the kettle. that'll sort it out ;)

mmm..........a bit of AHB snobbery perhaps! Since when did you need to be an AHB Grand Poobah to have an informed opinion.
You don't. But once upon a time we didn't have this type of toss off.

Alex mate,

You guys should be proud. I have sold every one of your previous single batches, and none have sold like the DIIPA. Style guidelines or not, LC has shown that they can put a big and balanced beer out there.

Dont listen to the beer snobs (of which I am definitely one), I also would have liked more hops, but god damn, what a great, easy drinking beer.

Would love to hear more from you on AHB, as your reputation is, well, sort of legendary....

I tracked down a few bottles of this tonight, cellarbrations in frewville and unley on clyde both have a little stock left in Adelaide.

Loving it! I do get a little passionfruit in the aroma but more grapefruit and a bit of pine in the flavour. Lots going on with the hops with the malt taking a very back seat. The bitterness is spot on for the upper end of accessible to non beer nerds, my missus loves it too! I might try to grab a few more of these for the beer fridge.

Spotted some in the Highway tonight as well Tim. Their beer selection is really coming along.

I'd like to get a bottle or two. Been loving SN torpedo, so be good to compare the two side by side.

Finally got my hands on a couple of bottles, nice easy drinker, but for me I think it needs more hops. Certainly not disappointing though. Glad I got got to try it, I thought I'd miss out on this one

Alex the keg you dry hopped with citra on hand pump at the wa craft event was superb. This really tasted like I imagined when I first heard of the small batch. Well done indeed.

Also the bottled version was great as well. I just managed to buy 11 bottles on Wednesday and mate they go down easy. Looking forward to beer night.

Has anyone in the bunbury area found it yet?? I have tried dan murphy's and cellerbrations and i will try frankels today after a nap today from night shift.

Back