Lion introduces "Tap King" - party keg / growlers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I think a little extra reading has cleared this up for me. Going to grab one and just refill the bottles with my HB for now - maybe look at bigger cartridges as well.

I have a spare Soda Stream bottle that I might add to the TK later down the track.

got one fitted with an 8g cartridge and natural carbonation but have yet to tap it soon though

At 2/3 the co2 I don't think it will pour the whole 3.2L. The standard 12g cartridge runs out just after you finish the bottle.
Pretty keen to hear just how far it gets you though.

Diggs, simplest way is to make a triangular screwdriver and order 12g cartridges online.
Fiddle around swapping new cartridge into old bottles with your beer.
Next, if you get tired of that is to adapt so it can use external gas. The lids are just used as a regular lid and you'll use fewer gas bulbs overall and cheaper ones that are more easily available.
I've already got a couple of sodastream bottles 330g which are cheaper again and available at Woolies etc. but so far finding the fittings to adapt from one size to another has been a pain in the neck.

Beerisyummy said:
At 2/3 the co2 I don't think it will pour the whole 3.2L. The standard 12g cartridge runs out just after you finish the bottle.
Pretty keen to hear just how far it gets you though.
strange cause all the one i played with still had pressure in the cylinder when i finished
will try it maybe over the weekend.

I Thanks for that mrT.

Going down to the WRC this weekend, sounds like a great excuse to grab a TK with a couple of bottles of JSGA.

barls said:
strange cause all the one i played with still had pressure in the cylinder when i finished
will try it maybe over the weekend.
I hope it goes well with an 8gm cartridge.
All four of the bottles I've polished off have had maybe an extra glass of gas left once empty.

Unfortunately I have to wait another couple of weeks before my refills are good to go.
until then I'll have to live vicariously through this thread.

worst come to worst ill open the bottle and just pour it out. the bottle im looking at only was filled 2 weeks ago but already is about the same pressure as the ones in the store.

mrTbeer said:
Here's my hack in pictures using 16g bulbs. I had some lying around for my bike.
MFL fitting ($2.50), 6mm hose (had it?), stainless clip ($1), 4mm hose and plastic (TK $23), mini-regulator ($39)

1.Remove 2.Drill 3.Assemble 4.Pour

Put a new TK bottle in here and you can reuse the lid/bulb and bottle after for your HB in another TK.
Put a used TK bottle in here and you can dispense your HB from it.
Where you get the hose connector to fit to the mini reg I think it's 5/16 to 6mm barb?

It's 1/4" (JIC or MFL) to 6mm barb.

I had one lying around, had a hard time getting a second though.
Started a thread called "Flare Fitting" and ordered one on ebay for $2.50
It took nearly a month and arrived yesterday, they sent 1/2" for some reason, d'oh!

The thread is the same as the black and grey QD's so that may offer a workaround.
Let me know if you find one somewhere?

I was put onto TK by a work collegue just after they came out, I quite like the JSGA.

Straight away I wondered if they would be suitable for doing a HB in, though I have never home brewed before.

After finding this forum and thread, am very keen to give it a go, thanks for the great posts!

Have 8 TK kegs to fill!

Great thread, but it has me asking myself " Why modify a Tap King when I could just buy a Tap a draft?"

Seems you save a small amount on the Tap King but then have to spend time/money modding it anyway.

Also hanging out for the "Tap it", tap and co2 regulator to fit on growlers. Kickstarter project took off, just waiting for production.

Khellendros13 said:
Great thread, but it has me asking myself " Why modify a Tap King when I could just buy a Tap a draft?"

Seems you save a small amount on the Tap King but then have to spend time/money modding it anyway.

Also hanging out for the "Tap it", tap and co2 regulator to fit on growlers. Kickstarter project took off, just waiting for production.
If you don't have a man cave, I think the Tap King looks a lot better in the family fridge then the tap a draft system. Also my wife saw one on tv and said "ooh honey you should buy one", I learnt along time ago never to turn down anything to do with buying beer when you can! :lol:

So what is the consensus,8g Co2 or 12g Co2 cartridges ?. :beerbang:

mrTbeer said:
The 16g can be used externally, see my pic a few pages back.

The 16g won't fit inside standard TK lid which is made to accommodate a 12g without a thread.
The 8g will fit inside standard TK lid but the unthreaded part is a different size.
When pierced on TK lid the bottle cannot be removed without discharging all gas.
I was under the impression they didn't fit as well as the 12g.

Khellendros13 said:

Tap-a-draft cost $138 vs. TK $23+ $50 parts. Bottles come free.
12g inside, 16g outside

:icon_offtopic: Does anybody here use Tap-a- Draft,i havn't heard of it before now ? :unsure:

I've noticed the best before dates on all my Tap King bottles are 3 months, I guess oxidisation starts to really kick in around that time. Limits the amount you should bottle into a TK when you factor in bottle conditioning. Would like to do some session beers in a fair few bottles, they mature fast and you can drink large quantities.

Back