Lion introduces "Tap King" - party keg / growlers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mrtbeer, what about the ones they use for 19L kegs, I think they are 16 g, coluld they be adapted? Are they discharged completely the first use or can they be removed from the bottle without gassing out. I have never played with with these little bottles before.
the keg guy

they discharge completely.

The 16g can be used externally, see my pic a few pages back.

The 16g won't fit inside standard TK lid which is made to accommodate a 12g without a thread.
The 8g will fit inside standard TK lid but the unthreaded part is a different size.
When pierced on TK lid the bottle cannot be removed without discharging all gas.

Completed my first Tap King homebrew:

Method:
  1. Replaced 12g CO2 bulb with one from ezycharges (some people say you don't need to use a cartridge). I have a bottle waiting to be tested without a co2 bulb, will post the result later but didn't want to risk it as I am thirsty :icon_drool2: .
  2. Used 7 carb drops, probably could have used 8 in retrospect as the beer is carbonated but could of used a little more gas.
  3. Connect and :drinks: , image is of the first beer I poured with very little froth.
Beer: was an imitation Little Creatures Pale Ale that my local home brew shop supplies the hops etc for.

I think eventually I would like to do a mod to be able to use larger CO2 bottles and avoid the hassle of replacing the screws etc on the lid.

20130905_183528.jpg

swampdog said:
Completed my first Tap King homebrew:

Method:
  1. Replaced 12g CO2 bulb with one from ezycharges (some people say you don't need to use a cartridge). I have a bottle waiting to be tested without a co2 bulb, will post the result later but didn't want to risk it as I am thirsty :icon_drool2: .
  2. Used 7 carb drops, probably could have used 8 in retrospect as the beer is carbonated but could of used a little more gas.
  3. Connect and :drinks: , image is of the first beer I poured with very little froth.
Beer: was an imitation Little Creatures Pale Ale that my local home brew shop supplies the hops etc for.

I think eventually I would like to do a mod to be able to use larger CO2 bottles and avoid the hassle of replacing the screws etc on the lid.
7 carb drops? Maybe bulk priming would work better?

I think it's great that TK has brought a little excitement to everyone. Love your work mate!

I have a question about filling the bottles for everyone.

When naturally carbonating, how far do you fill the bottles from the top?

My main problem with this tap king setup, is all those times i've yelled at the kids "don't stand there with the bloody fridge door open" is going to come back and bite me in the arse..

Beerisyummy said:
I think it's great that TK has brought a little excitement to everyone.
I used the 3.2L bottle as a big growler fill for a Honey-Porter today. Caused some "mild euphoria." The bartender had a few questions, 2 other blokes passing by asked about it, and the next customer asked "how much for the big bottles?" Plus another couple questions on the walk to car. Cheers H.

swampdog said:
some people say you don't need to use a cartridge
I've had two fail to fire now which have been store bought ones, not HB. After the first glass, it barely dribbles out so I'm not sure how far you'd get with no cartridge.

I just opened up one that failed and the CO2 had been pierced and emptied. I didnt notice any gas escape when I first inserted the bottle into the tap so its got me beat. I've had successful firings between the 2 that have failed so I'm stumped!

I replaced the cartridge with one that i've ordered for my HB and inserted it again. There was a big "whosh" but I'm not sure if that was just the CO2 filling the bottle or escaping. I managed to pour a glass and the bottle is now hard again (it was soft by the time it stopped pouring properly before i changed out the cartridge) so I'll try another few glasses this afternoon and see if it holds a gas charge.

I've just replaced the cartridges in 3 x Tap Kings, relatively painless. I think if you decided to go ahead with the external CO2 idea you still need to pull the lid apart every brew as beer gets into the various parts of the lid and would lead to an eventual infection. It wouldn't be a big deal if the screw threads started to wear out as when the lid is on the screws aren't doing anything and could even be taken out without any problems.

Captain Morgan said:
so I'll try another few glasses this afternoon and see if it holds a gas charge.
Nope, its empty and flat again. I have a leak somewhere and of course, I didnt keep my receipt.

I'm ebarrased to say that I'm even having trouble pulling apart the tap to see whats going on in there ... -_-

Captain Morgan said:
Nope, its empty and flat again. I have a leak somewhere and of course, I didnt keep my receipt.
Where are you? I have a receipt for Dan's @ Willoughby.

Then again, you might just be able to pull the unit apart and stop it leaking.
6 screws and the whole thing is in pieces.

Beerisyummy said:
Where are you? I have a receipt for Dan's @ Willoughby.

Then again, you might just be able to pull the unit apart and stop it leaking.
6 screws and the whole thing is in pieces.
Oh thats very kind of you, thank you. I'm in Hurstville.

I pulled out all the screws I could see, but it still seemed quite well stuck together still. haha. I'm usually quite mechanically minded so perhaps I haven't had enough beers today. :p

Captain Morgan said:
Oh thats very kind of you, thank you. I'm in Hurstville.

I pulled out all the screws I could see, but it still seemed quite well stuck together still. haha. I'm usually quite mechanically minded so perhaps I haven't had enough beers today. :p
Don't be a pussy. Crack a beer and get the screwdrivers out. :beerbang:

20130907_183527.jpg

It takes around 5 minutes to dismantle the unit and put it back together.

Haha.. iTs apart, but I cant see anything out of the ordinary. Nothingt to suggest it should leak

Looking closely at the unit, I would guess the regulator and gas line would be the culprit in 90% of faulty units.
If the regulator is leaking I'm pretty sure you're stuffed.

Like I said, I've got a spare receipt I can send you if you PM me your details.

After stripping down the unit a few times I can appreciate just how well thought out this design is. Yeah there are a few things that could be better, but some parts are just brilliantly simple.
The valve system on the lid is my favourite.

At this stage I'm going to do away with the top part of the faux keg and leave the regulator where I can adjust it. The next trick is to set up a mini reg/charger with a spear for carbonating the bottles.

Next stop, full keg system.......one day.

PS.
Just hooked up a new bottle to test the adjustment on the regulator. So much better at pouring when you dial it down a quarter turn.
My plan is to dial it back up to the normal position when I'm done drinking and let it maintain the factory bottle pressure while sitting idle.
Perfekt!

Hi Guys, Can someone give me the details as to how you post images? what the trick?
Thanks the keg guy

Next to the post button is the "more reply options" go into the full editor and you'll see where

Beerisyummy said:
Like I said, I've got a spare receipt I can send you if you PM me your details.
You're an absolute champion! I've worked the old credit card a bit lately so I wasnt looking forward to the eye rolls from the wife when I had to tell her I needed another tap. PM on its way. Thanks again, its very kind of you. :beer:

I've been promised 7 empty tap kings, I'll have at least 11 by the end of the year, I'll have three bottled in the next two weeks, brilliant.

So the thing I'm most interested in is refilling the bottles and priming for self carbonation, leaving the standard carbonation in place.

Keeping it really simple, am I missing something here? Everything I am seeing is around pimping it use bigger cartridges or SodaSrtream bottles.

Latest posts

Back