Lion introduces "Tap King" - party keg / growlers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No reason you can't force carb with ext reg.
Might be possible with inbuilt reg. but still don't know what pressure it's dialled at? I'm guessing you'll run short of gas with 12g.

Captain Morgan said:
Sorry, can we just quickly summarise the "unmodded" situation? Are the 12g bottles from here http://www.ezychargers.com.au/index.php?cPath=51&osCsid=3gs4j5nr9pfvs9fupn4s6q8991currently working to dispense HB?

I want to mod mine to take 16g but I have a batch that desperatly needs bottling so I'm hoping to just go unmodded initially and want to make sure those ezy chargers work.

Thank you!
Got the 12g cartridges from ezycharges. So far it seems to work ok. Poured a few bottles of my HB into an empty TK, and I've attached some photos. Hope to carb my next brew in a few of these bottles in the coming weeks.

C360_2013-08-28-09-34-26-492.jpg

C360_2013-08-28-14-29-41-272.jpg

C360_2013-08-28-14-30-15-883.jpg

jorni said:
Got the 12g cartridges from ezycharges. So far it seems to work ok. Poured a few bottles of my HB into an empty TK, and I've attached some photos. Hope to carb my next brew in a few of these bottles in the coming weeks.
Hey jorni,

How many carb drops do you think I'll need for the 3.2 l tk bottle,, I've got a cooper pale ale in fermenter waiting to go, It's my first go so I'm unsure,

jorni said:
Oh, that made me thirsty! haha. Looks good

Hwkdog said:
Hey jorni,
How many carb drops do you think I'll need for the 3.2 l tk bottle,, I've got a cooper pale ale in fermenter waiting to go, It's my first go so I'm unsure,
Coopers recommends 2 drops per 740/750 ml, which is about 8 or 9 drops for 3.2 L. I'd start with that. But the beauty of home brewing is experimenting. I plan to try different dose rates with the TK. Good luck!

Hi Guys,
Totally new to this or any other forum so please be patient while I catch on.

I have been reading with interest the comments related to the 3.2 L Tap King.

In the factory where these bottles are made they are known as “Kegs”

Some info that may be of interest, as I understand it
The bottles are filled at the brewery between 2.8 and 3.2 volume, dependant on variety and how close they can hold there targets.

Dispensing pressure is between 10 and 12 PSI

The on board CO2 is to keep the head space in the bottle stable during dispensing only.

Are the bottles suitable for reuse?
Can they handle forced carbonation pressures?

I'm sure some of you intend to find out.

Another interesting point is, the bottles are multi layered; that's to say they are PET on the inside and outside surfaces but nylon is sandwiched between. Nylon has much better barrier properties against oxygen and CO2, this is good news for HBer's

Personally I struggle with the idea of HB in PET, it's fine if the turnover is high but.....

The Keg Guy

Also got my 12g chargers from ezycharges today. Tested 1 on an empty bottle and it gassed the bottle fine. I have 6 TK bottles to use so I am going to try different amounts of carb drops (4-8), will let you guys know how it went.

TJP said:
Yes I realise they are only designed for dispensing but as the bottles are only designed for single use and we have already gone past that I am just wondering where the limits are, by the sound of it some people are already using them for natural carbonation and as the way people are setting them up appears to be with an external co2 source and a mini regulator I were just pondering the possibility of also being able to force carbonate, obviousley you would have to bypass the inbuilt regulator but apart from that and pressure issues I were wondering if there were anyother reasons why it couldnt be done.
As others have said force carbing them at serving temp would be the best idea if you are prepared to wait, but then you would need to change the bulb at some stage prior to serving.

just rebuild my two with the 8g cartridges, will see how it goes planning on carbing to around 2.7 volume roughly.
worst comes to worse ill squeeze the bottle to get it out.

Triangular 2.0mm screwdriver from evil bay works a treat. Fits like a finger in a bu..... Bottle!

cheers mate will be ordering one then. got away with the 1.5 mm allen key this time around.

Just bought one and want to keep up to date with peoples progress.

Some points I can add;
-The unit works well at holding temp for an hour or so if you use a decent insulator around the exposed bottle part.
- The recommended temp for serving preparation is similar to using yeast. Err on the low side for less funky results.
-Measure your fridge before you buy one on that premise. Mine doesn't fit in the kitchen fridge as it is too long.

HTH.

Just filled to tapking kegs with coopers pale ale that I made, wait two weeks and ill let you know how it goes, changed the c02 cartridges no problems, just gotta be careful with the o rings, so far no leaks, let the countdown begin

After drinking the whole bottle last night just so I could pull it apart, I have a few questions ( and some advice I suppose).

Let me just start by saying that I don't advise drinking the whole 3.2L bottle in one sitting. I got up for an early morning training session at 5:00 and was onsite wearing my tool belt at 7:00. The hangover was fairly noticeable.

This got me thinking about the whole idea behind these bottles as a money spinner for Lion Nathan.
If they are a success short term, the marketing department has just worked out a way to charge more for less without the average punter feeling ripped off. Job done.
Further down the track it beats a path for larger session bottles for alcoholics. People that live day to day and have no sense for long term planning.
$18.50 for a 3.2L bottle of beer is an obvious winner for a pisshead looking for a quick fix ( as a six pack for $16-18 won't quite cut it) and this way the brewery can call on sensible drinkers for support. They just paid $30 odd dollars for the head unit and don't want the investment to go to waste.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that you can just unscrew the cap and pour a glass or seven. Heck, you could even just swig it from the bottle.

My gut feeling is that this is a very smart way for the breweries to get around many of the regulations that stop them doing what they want.

I remember when the Dry Dock in Balmain had happy hour for 2 hours, starting at 2pm, a couple of years back. $2 schooners and similar spirits prices.
It took 2 months for the licencing board to put a stop to it, but before then it was like Balmain used to be. People were knocking off of work early to get smashed and fights were pretty common, as was drink driving.
Good fun, but not allowed even though business was booming.

Moving on from my conspiracy theories, I'm still keen to adapt this system to a HB setup that keeps me stocked with fresh beer on tap for the average glass or two after work.

Questions;
- Which ezycharges bottle did people order? The Liss or Mosa?
-Can you buy these types of cartridges from a local shop, or are they a specialty item?
- Is 12g of CO2 enough to carbonate 3.2 litres of beer over a week at 1c? ( I would love a link to a calculator that can help here)
-Is there any reason why you couldn't just use one head unit for carbonating bottles and another for pouring?
-Has anyone pulled apart the regulator and can it be adjusted?

Looks like Lion maybe onto a winner with Tap King. Just been into my local Liquorland and noticed they had the refill bottles including JS Chancer. The girl at the counter said they were going really well.

Beerisyummy said:
Just bought one and want to keep up to date with peoples progress.

Some points I can add;
-The unit works well at holding temp for an hour or so if you use a decent insulator around the exposed bottle part.
- The recommended temp for serving preparation is similar to using yeast. Err on the low side for less funky results.
-Measure your fridge before you buy one on that premise. Mine doesn't fit in the kitchen fridge as it is too long.

HTH.
Yep, you can even get tap king stubbie holders on ebay
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tap-King-Stubbie-Holder-/271267125669?pt=AU_Breweriana&hash=item3f28c7d9a5&_uhb=1

Have only pulled one of this bottles apart .1 I got from a friend who bought a TK but I found the needle plunger was stuck in the co2 cartridge & was bent was that just poor trademanship on my behalf or does this happen?

hi fellas,

happay fathers day!.

ok so yes. i got myself a tapking. happy. not sure! but i managed to pore myself a glass of fome first up like most people i realise have reported. got alot of guggeling and thought something was wrong.......
of course i thought id see was wrong myself! and momentarily undetached the key STOPPP!(yes i know your thinking!. oh what a dumb ass! but 4 beers in we thought it was a good idea...and not knowing how the unit worked!.. look i know my way around a key! thought there was a leak............only to find 2 beers into the tapKing i couldnt pore anymore). not to worry us! beer lovers know how to get into a bottle like a monkey knows how to steal a torists wallet. still i felt alittle pissed. but now i got it sorted! all good.

now id like to point out i have a full home brew setup, korney keys and a keg king fridge for my full grain setup. so its not like i'm a total noob. but man i tell ya. reading this forum.. and wading through the posts........plenty of people doing the old whining about this product! but on the up side good to see people are inbracing this. love the old beer geeks hacking this stuff.
personally if i'm doing a 22 ltr brew, 19ltr in the corny and the 3ltrs in the tapking that i could bring to my mates to whann-kin off about how good my HB is. id say the small outlay for the tap is way worth it.

i think the disapointing thing is having to read the heap of beer snobs saying. "Oh golden ale isnt good enough for my plete" so what!. becuase i only drink something with and ibu of 25-60 or higher, becuase i you know what hops are, and you drink your beer in wine glass and sniff it alot....... give us a break you hipsters. grow a beard and havest your yeast from it. its still a good premis.
Id like to congratulate Lion for putting themselves out on the line for this product! look in a world where coles and woolies own 90% of pubs and there trying to make somthing we can bring home, and hack for homebrew. hell yeah! (oh wait Lion! evil corperation that forces us to drink bad beer! oh your probably blogging from you iphone but i guess thats fashionable) i can see this going britty far if people imbrace this. sure beer selection is limited ATM but i'm sure that will grow. if homebrewers can use this its a bonus for us. look i know lion are part of a huge food group but i think this is a great move for home brew. and if your from Lion reading this blog! dont worry i'll still by your beer espessially in this format. even if it dosnt meet the sleave tatoo hipster requirment of hoppyness. just give us some wider selections. and like Coopers did! invest in the homebrewing comutity because there the ones that really push the beer market. we dont all homebrew 100%!

anyway happy dday..

look forward to the upcoming post to see what people have done with this.

Latest posts

Back