Lion introduces "Tap King" - party keg / growlers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read it all too, sounds like you've been emptying a few Lion Nathan filled TK kegs to make room for your own HB. Nice one :)

jorni said:
Got the 12g cartridges from ezycharges. So far it seems to work ok. Poured a few bottles of my HB into an empty TK, and I've attached some photos. Hope to carb my next brew in a few of these bottles in the coming weeks.
Hi jorni,Like your idea of just replacing the cartridge,instead of the other options I've seen.But have you had any problems with the pin that punchers the cartridge?

Has anyone actually confirmed that the Ezychargers are foodsafe? The site claims that they are 100% pure, is that reassurance enough?

Just got this response back from Ezychargers:

Hi there,

They are not food grade. They are made for air pistol and bb guns or
inflating tires. However, that has not stop people from buying it for
dispensing beers (TAP KING).

Hong
How do you guys feel about that? Is there any real concern here?

Guysmiley54 said:
Just got this response back from Ezychargers:

How do you guys feel about that? Is there any real concern here?
Why do they use Co2 for inflating tyres,could be a difference in written English here between Australia & china . :p Just as a tangent here, 1 of my workers suggested using nitrogen cartridges as they do with Guinness.Should produce a creamier longer lasting head.( WHO DOESN'T LIKE A CREAMIER LONGER LASTING HEAD ) :p

Hi All,
Been playing with the TK dispenser and some of you may be happy to know the internal regulator is adjustable, by how much I'm unsure. A reliable source informed me they are factory set to around 11 PSI, yet to test this with a descent gauge.

Remove the top cover (4 screws underneath) and the regulator is clearly visible, the white device at the top.

Regulator

The adjustment cap is the part with the vertical ribs, finger grips.
The locking device hooks onto a short shaft sticking out of the top centre of the adjustment cap and when in place clips into the under edge of the adjustment cap.
To adjust the regulator take a small blade screwdriver and GENTLY force / lift the the top of the locking device off the short shaft. Place the tip of the screw driver between the parts and apply a twisting motion to separate them, seemed to do the trick for me. Be careful it can launch off, put you hand over it to keep it contained.

Dismantled reguator

This opens up some interesting options...
Can you set-up one TK at carbonation pressure and a second one for dispensing, click click ready to go??
I have a kegerator so I can just fill from the tap, change the CO2 cylinder and head for the BBQ.

For those of you less fortunate, if you have to use those pesky little cylinders for charging they simply have to be attached from the outside and preferably 2 at a time.
We need someone's help with the internal CO2 plumbing, come on you engineering types get involved. How do we get CO2 hopefully from a decent cylinder into the system.

A second project I'm looking at is a disk that can go inside the cap after removing the current innards.
It mounts at the 4 small screw holes (with 3 mm SS cap screws not the triangle ones) and has a ¼ BSP tapped hole where the internal gas gas bottle would normally be seen, hook up the gas and charge in the bottle.
The underside has a step to allow reuse the current rubber seal.

There seem to be some questions related to the pressure these bottles can hold. Firstly they are made for single use but so are twist tops and look how many of those are in faithful service for the HBer.
All I can say is sample bottles are regularly pressure tested at manufacture and are taken well beyond normal HB charging pressures. Keep in mind internal carbonation pressure is directly related to temperature so don't leave them in a hot location.

Keg Guy

ash2 said:
Hi jorni,Like your idea of just replacing the cartridge,instead of the other options I've seen.But have you had any problems with the pin that punchers the cartridge?
Hello ash2, actually it was driftdaddy who first took it apart and replaced the cartridge. He inspired me...

Anyways, so far no problems with the pin that punctures the cartridge. Just have to remove it from the punctured cartridge and reuse.

Beerisyummy said:
I'm interested to know why the Finewhip site lists the same brand as food safe? They do seem to cost a fair bit more.

http://finewhip.cart.net.au/store/12g-un-threaded-keg-chargers-x-5-strong-food-grade-strong.html
I think they r same as the other ones , it says nothing about food grade in description , only in the title, description talks about paintball guns an re filling bike tyres, why the hell would u need food grade for that?

I'm guessing the site is cashing in on tap king folk,

Happy to be proven wrong

Hwkdog said:
I think they r same as the other ones , it says nothing about food grade in description , only in the title, description talks about paintball guns an re filling bike tyres, why the hell would u need food grade for that?

I'm guessing the site is cashing in on tap king folk,

Happy to be proven wrong
The Finewhip site does list some other 12g cartridges as industrial grade only. The Mosa ones all seem to be made for making soda primarily.

keg guy said:
We need someone's help with the internal CO2 plumbing, come on you engineering types get involved. How do we get CO2 hopefully from a decent cylinder into the system.
This is pretty easy. The existing reg has a 6mm OD hose that takes CO2 from regulator does a quick U-turn and injects straight into lid using another little plastic 'needle.'
That hose is held on by 2 black plastic fittings which are easily slipped off. The hose end can then be pushed into a 6mm ID pipe and a little stainless clamp 7-10mm goes around that making a simple reducer.
The 6mm ID hose can then be connected to any CO2 regulator. My regulator used 6mm ID hose anyway so didn't require any other adapters. I drilled a hole in side of tap king and threaded hose through.
This way you can set dispense pressure at 11psi or carb pressure higher say 30psi? And you can remove bottle from tap without wasting all the gas as happens with the bulbs, just remember to turn gas off before disconnecting bottle.
The other upside is you aren't reliant on the O-rings in TK which are made for single use.

driftdaddy got there first with reusing bulbs, I tried this but found it frustrating dealing with tiny screws and sourcing replacement bulbs. I still remove the empty bulb and reseal lid just so I can identify if it's used or not.
p.s. I am an engineering type but more familiar with 18t bulldozers than 2mm triangular screws.

That'd be cool if you could just alter the existing reg to force carb pressure, I naturally carb the bottles and was worried that sediment would clog small inlet hose but no issues so far?

mrTbeer said:
That'd be cool if you could just alter the existing reg to force carb pressure, I naturally carb the bottles and was worried that sediment would clog small inlet hose but no issues so far?
Where does the dip tube actually sit? Are you getting sediment the whole time, or is it just on the initial pour?

The tap king pops the end of the bottle up about a 1cm. The dip tube sits at the very bottom where curve meets face if that makes sense.
First glass seems to cop all sediment and foam.

ash2 said:
Why do they use Co2 for inflating tyres,could be a difference in written English here between Australia & china . :p Just as a tangent here, 1 of my workers suggested using nitrogen cartridges as they do with Guinness.Should produce a creamier longer lasting head.( WHO DOESN'T LIKE A CREAMIER LONGER LASTING HEAD ) :p
Co2 common for tyres especially MTB but also motorbikes. Smaller/lighter to carry than any other bike pump.
I'd be surprised if Lion don't start selling Guiness in 3.2L tapking, they own Aussie rights so it seems logical.
Fully agree on last comment. :D

Playing with a dispenser today and started wondering if I could get the Tap King regulator out side the unit would that be useful.
One thing lead to another and its in pieces again.
What I discovered is a well placed hole drilled under the tap handle gives access to the single phillips head screw that holds the regulator in position.
Pull the handle forward and remove the spout as though for cleaning. Drop the handle all the way to the bottom exposing the whole front face. Use a ruler and mark a point on the vertical centre line 14.5 mm above the top of the spring, note only the end of the spring is visible.
On my dispenser if I look very closely at the surface around this location, by changing the light angle, there is a slightly raised bump surrounded by an indentation. The screw head is directly below the slightly raised bump.
I used an 8 mm drill but go slowly you don't want to damage the screw head.

To remove the regulator slide back the black retainer at the hose end and release the hose from the regulator.
In order to get the regulator out I had to be sure the unit is in the open position (lever on the side all the way towards the front) and remove the locking device from the regulator and now feed it out through the centre where the bottle cap would go. Just could not manage to get it through as a complete unit. I suggest you mark the location of the regulator cap and body before disturbing it, refit the locking device once the regulator is removed.

If your really brave you can dismantle the mechanism and take the screw out without the hole in the front, this also gives access to replace the PVC hose rather than joining to the original piece

Can the regulator be mounded some where outside and be adjusted to a reasonable charging pressure???

One might assume most small CO2 cylinders would be charged to similar pressures, the size seems to change as the volume does, 8,12 and 16 g.
Given the above I guess a 16 g cylinder connected to the regulator would be no more stressful than the 8 g cartridge already being used.

Have fun, the Keg Guy.

mrTbeer said:
The tap king pops the end of the bottle up about a 1cm. The dip tube sits at the very bottom where curve meets face if that makes sense.
First glass seems to cop all sediment and foam.
The tap a draft comes with a little plastic thingo that goes over the intake tube in the bottle to keep it a few mm off the bottom of the "keg" to reduce sediment.

Wonder if a similar mod would help us?

http://buyfreshgrapes.beer-wine.com/sites/default/files/images/products/Tap-a-DraftRegulator_0.jpg

Keg guy you can get access to that same screw by undoing all screws inside, the mech comes apart and can be reassembled with a bit of patience. I too think all bulbs are probably same pressure ~900psi regardless of size. The problem is with TK reg. out it doesn't have a good connector on HP side ie. no threads, no piercing dart.

Latest posts

Back