Lime Pickle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philmud

Reaction score
I had it with breakfast today, but it's equally at home as an accompaniment to a curry. This is my first shit at making any kind of pickle & I think it came up pretty good. More chilli powder next time! image.jpg

I made choko sandwich pickles yesterday, they came out terrific.

I'm currently baking 24 loafs of bread, all shapes and sizes, dark, white and mixed grains, used about 6kg of flour.

Been at it all day, still a few lining up in the oven queue.

I pre bake them in the oven for ten minutes, let cool, cover in foil and freeze.
When we need bread, put one in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes for a freshly baked loaf of bread.

DSC_4509.JPG

EDIT: sort of off topic, but would go well with OP's pickle.

NewtownClown said:
fresh chillies!
Recipe?
I shouldn't admit the here, given the importance of exactitude in the brewing process, but I kind of mixed and matched from a few recipes, including my mother in laws (she's Fijian Indian, but I suspect she left out ingredients, so I used google too). What I did was;

-Boiled approx 8 limes for about 10 mins ( I'd shorten the time by at least half next time)
- cut limes into chunks ( quarter wedges, cut in half or thirds)
- put in a ceramic bowl with about 20 cloves of garlic, cut chunky, about 1/3 cup of salt, a but load of freshly cracked pepper and a tablespoon of chilli powder (if I used fresh chilli, I'd cut it up fine for maximum coverage).
- covered with glad wrap and a tea towel and left on kitchen bench for a week, every day or so I gave it a stir and usually added a large pinch of salt - taste it, you'll know if it can handle more salt - if it can, it needs more.
- after a week, I added a good Tablespoon of mustard seeds, 2 bay leaves, a few cardamom pods, a cinnamon stick and about six cloves to 1/3 cup of hot olive oil and fried them off till fragrant but not burnt. I remove the bay, cinnamon and cardamom.
- Then, I stirred about a tablespoon of garam Marsala into the lime/ garlic mix and added the to the hot oil. I heated this to a boil and made sure the oil was well incorporated. this went into 2 jars I had sterilised with boiling water, and sanitised with starsan (I probably should have read up on bottling - my method might have been insufficient to ensure a safe, preserved product).
- I waited two weeks to eat & it's pretty good - could handle more chilli and maybe more dry spices, but the lime skin is nice and chewy and the flesh of the lines is spreadable and piquant.

I'll do this again, maybe with green mango next time, and I'll keep playing with the balance if spices until I get it bang on.

Florian said:
I'm currently baking 24 loafs of bread, all shapes and sizes, dark, white and mixed grains, used about 6kg of flour.Been at it all day, still a few lining up in the oven queue.I pre bake them in the oven for ten minutes, let cool, cover in foil and freeze.When we need bread, put one in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes for a freshly baked loaf of bread.
attachicon.gif
DSC_4509.JPGEDIT: sort of off topic, but would go well with OP's pickle.
Indian pickles are such a versatile condiment, they work with lots of western foods. My favourite pickle meal is leftover roast pork, cold, on thick slices of toast with a healthy slather of pickle - magic!!!

I will never forget the disappointment that came with my first taste of lime pickle. Not what I was expecting at all. The words sound so much better than the reality.

bum said:
I will never forget the disappointment that came with my first taste of lime pickle. Not what I was expecting at all. The words sound so much better than the reality.
That's a shame you don't like it, Bum. I strongly discourage you from trying this recipe then ;-)

I promise you that you did not trick me into trying salt rind (the more correct name) ever again.

I don't wish to impede anyone else's enjoyment of it, of course.

A quick google tells me that "salt rind" is something different. I suspect the most correct name is a Hindi word, or maybe even Sanskrit

Cannot argue with the second half of that but will not back away from my rhetoric.

Salty, rindy tasting stuff.

Latest posts

Back