Lime Infused Cerveza

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickos

Reaction score
I found a recipe for a lime infused mexican cerveza. As follows

1.7kg coopers mexican cerveza
500g ldme
.75kg dextrose
250ml berri lime extract
kit yeast
23L

does this sound like a good recipe? do you use hops in it?
any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated
this would only be my second brew, am I over achieving too early?

this would only be my second brew, am I over achieving to early?
Absolutely not.

As for the other questions, I guess it depends what you're after. Assuming you like the similar commercial examples then I'd say leave the hops out and ferment as cool as you gear and yeast will allow.

I'd be checking the lime extract for preservatives but apart from that it looks a reasonably foolproof brew. I guess some might say the LDME might take you away the style a little - me, I wouldn't think some extra malt in such a brew is a terrible thing. Try some of the extract in a glass of beer first to try to work out if it actually tastes good and what rate you might like to use it.

Sounds Ok. I don't know what the extract tastes like though, but if you like the taste it"ll work. I did something similar but used bickford's brown lime cordial and BE2. Yours will be a little maltier but that's no.bad thing.

EDIT: beaten to the punch. And put better. If you do decide to use hops go with citra or something similar for an even fruition hit. But now your moving towards a lager style.

What yeast are you using?

Hops might conflict with the lime extract, not sure, I've done a lemon cerveza but never added hops of my own to it (just relied on what ever's in the kit). I'd suggest with the lime extract to grab a beer similar to what you want to make, in this case a cerveza, and add a few drops to it untill you hit a sweet spot you like, then scale up to what ever batch size you're making. This is so you don't over do it, because once it's in there it's not comming out. Alternativly, just make the beer with out the lime extract and add it to the glass when you drink it.

Edit: Slow fingers

Absolutely not.

As for the other questions, I guess it depends what you're after. Assuming you like the similar commercial examples then I'd say leave the hops out and ferment as cool as you gear and yeast will allow.

I'd be checking the lime extract for preservatives but apart from that it looks a reasonably foolproof brew. I guess some might say the LDME might take you away the style a little - me, I wouldn't think some extra malt in such a brew is a terrible thing. Try some of the extract in a glass of beer first to try to work out if it actually tastes good and what rate you might like to use it.

do you mean ferment at coolest temp for that kit???

I did this ages ago but it was just the kit and a kilo of sugar.
I threw the lime in near the end of fermentation and it was a fricken disaster.Bottle bombs everywhere!
The beer tasted like shite too,The lime was overpowering.If i was to do this now i would invest in a lime tree and just brew the kit as is and cut up some limes.

I never used that exact kit myself but I'm assuming it has the same rest as the rest of that range - should be able to manage down to 16-ish but if you can keep it at a steady 18C your brew will thank you. The instructions on the tins sort of give a (um, how shall I put this?) foolproof version of how to brew. They are not representative of the best way to do it - just the quickest way and the way least likely to cause confuse the novice brewer. Frankly, I think they underestimate their market but that's their business, I suppose. A cooler, slower ferment will keep some of those famous "home-brew" flavours out of your beer. But you do need to be careful as it is important to not go too low and keep the temps from fluctuating too much.

Of course, if you're happy with your current temp process then feel free to continue doing that - it's just a suggestion on how I think this brew might work best.

I did this ages ago but it was just the kit and a kilo of sugar.
I threw the lime in near the end of fermentation and it was a fricken disaster.Bottle bombs everywhere!
The beer tasted like shite too,The lime was overpowering.If i was to do this now i would invest in a lime tree and just brew the kit as is and cut up some limes.
Mickos, ignore my advice. It's a bit hard to argue with dcx3's post.

thanks for everyones advice, may just make it without the lime, not too sure at the moment. Will think it over a bit before going ahead with it. was trying to think of somethin good for summer drinkin. cheers all.

Yep good idea. Never done one of these brews and probably won't, but I would follow dcx3's advice. It'll save you a lot of headaches if you have to throw out 23L of undrinkable beer. Just dunk a wedge of lime whilst drinking the finished product.

And spend an extra $5 and get a decent yeast, ferment cool as you can.

Bowie

Yep good idea. Never done one of these brews and probably won't, but I would follow dcx3's advice. It'll save you a lot of headaches if you have to throw out 23L of undrinkable beer. Just dunk a wedge of lime whilst drinking the finished product.

And spend an extra $5 and get a decent yeast, ferment cool as you can.

Bowie
Hey mickos,
you cant go wrong with the coopers cerveza, makes a nice fresh swiller.
Nothing wrong with your sugar and malts, I make mine very similar. It is a little maltier then Corona, more towards an El Cantina, but very drinkable after about 6 weeks in the bottle. I have had mine with a slice of lemon in the glass(I Iprefer lemon to lime) and its quite nice, but very drinkable without.
Agree with not going lime into the mix, add it later for better control.

Despite all the previous comments, I am going to attempt a Lime infused Cerveza using a Coopers Cerveza kit.

I have had the kit on it's own before and it's definitely drinkable. I have a kit I need to use up and plan on doing something a bit different to normal (without adding grain shots or hops).

I have a lime tree with limes so what the hell.

My question is how many limes to add at the start of fermentation? Do I cut them into quarters and chuck them in? Do I squeeze out a little juice into the fermenter and then chuck them in? Do a grate some of the rhind?

I want a noticable lime flavour to it but not overpowering.

Hey Bats, I'd throw 4 1/2 limes in, squeeze 'em first if you want to, I dont know how big or juicy your limes are.......

Following on from Bats (how'd that go BTW??) I'm going to do the same, but not so strong. Straight CMC kit but with Kaffir leaves in the ferment to improve the citrus hint without its being the focus of the brew.

I have a tree with lots a leaves (but no fruit unfortunately), and considering how potent they are normally, any thoughts on how much leaf to use?

MattyC said:
Following on from Bats (how'd that go BTW??) I'm going to do the same, but not so strong. Straight CMC kit but with Kaffir leaves in the ferment to improve the citrus hint without its being the focus of the brew.

I have a tree with lots a leaves (but no fruit unfortunately), and considering how potent they are normally, any thoughts on how much leaf to use?
It went surpisingly well.

I ended up using the Coopers Cerveza kit and kilo with about 4 limes. I zested them and squeezed in the juice.

It was a little too citrusy at first but in time it mellowed and was quite sessionable.

It can't be too bad if I plan on doing this again. Maybe sooner rather than later if these weather keeps up.

Latest posts

Back