Lets talk vacuum storage

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulhill

Reaction score
so i think its time I start vacuum storing my hops
i'm starting to buy larger amounts and think this will be the way to get the most out of my hops

what systems do u use and why do u like them ???

Aldi have vacuum sealers on special a couple of times a year, but I've recently been buying a fair bit of household stuff online from the likes of Deals Direct and OO.com.au, having just set up in a new place, and
I note that OO usually have the sealers for about the same price as the Aldi special and quite often have a freight free weekend. Worth keeping an eye on.

I've found OO to be quick and dead reliable.

I don't buy hops in bulk anymore but if I did I'd invest in one.

Vac sealed in plastic then wrapped in alfoil to keep the light out. Kept in the freezer. I also dont buy hops from mobs who dont vac seal.

Those vac sealed silver pouches that you get from LHBS - can they be vac-sealed again after opening? (or do you have to transfer any left overs to a new vac seal bag?)

The Luvele branded vacuum sealers usually get well regarded based on older queries about sealers (http://stores.ebay.com.au/threesixtycompany/)

I have one of the '120W Turbo' ones (was middle of their range when i bought one) and use it for both hops and sous vide and it works well

Not without effort and ingenuity, most home vac sealers are set up for channel bags, not flat.

Some sealers have a little tongue thingy.. Not many though.

so i guess what i'm hearing hear is there a great thing to have
and that any unit will do the job ??

paulhill said:
so i guess what i'm hearing hear is there a great thing to have
and that any unit will do the job ??
yes and good for camping, sous vide and any meat etc in the freezer

Our vacuum gets stored in the linen cupboard, but with 3 kids it may as well stay close to the kitchen table

Can anyone recommend a non channel vac sealer, basically one that can seal most plastic or foil bags?

Got one of those cheap BigW/Kmart/Target/Aldi . ...at the end of the day they pretty much do the same job.

Vac em up and wack em in the freezer

danestead said:
Vac sealed in plastic then wrapped in alfoil to keep the light out. Kept in the freezer. I also dont buy hops from mobs who dont vac seal.
Wrapped in alfoil to keep the light out. Kept in the freezer .?

Haha lads, touché! A bit of overkill there I think. Maybe it's the feral tusk 11.8% iiiipa I'm having!

Back