Length Of Fermentation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotty2

Reaction score
Hi folks, just after a bit of advice/opinion. I haven't brewed for a few years, but decided to fire up the hobby again. Put a brew in 2 weeks ago (Tooheys's Lager) and it is still fermenting, average temperature has been 26 degrees all that time. Is this normal, I thought it would only take about a week to ferment ...
cheers,
Scotty2

Hi Scotty,

glad to hear you are back to brewing.

Just a quickie - how do you know it is still fermenting? Are you taking regular gravity readings with a hydrometer? If it's the airlock that is still bubbling, it is possible for an airlock to still bubble even after fermentation has finished.

give us a bit more info mate and someone can help out a little better.

Cheers,

Nath

Airlock not a true indication of fermentation as said previously.
Check gravity with a hydrometer.

HINT:- Try fermenting closer to 20C for a much better result.
Cheers
Nige

Agree to the airlock thing but just like to add - take daily hydrometre readings and when you have 2 consecutive days @ the same reading she is ready to bottle.
That is without going into anything overly tech and confusing.

I have discovered that the hydro readings will fluctuate depending on the weather. I take a reading of water (ambient temp) after the brew reading to see if the brew is moving, or if it's just the air temp telling my lies. If water is 998 then I add then I add +2 onto my brew readings.

I don't take a load of hydro readings can kind of tell when the ferment is about done as the krausen tends to go and the beer starts clearing from the top down. I then take a reading hopefully to confirm that it is safe to bottle or wait another 3 days and take another reading to be sure.

ahhh, thanks folks, memory playing tricks on me, I thought once the airlock stopped, that was it .. ready to bottle, but yes, I will take a hydro reading,

cheers!

Latest posts

Back