Lemonade

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottled it today.
Came it at 7.4%
Lemon bitter aftertaste so primed the bottles with CSR Brown Sugar (couldn't find muscovado sugar at the supermakert this morning).

Let you guy know what it tastes like in a month or so.

Beers,
Doc

What temp did you ferment at? or recomend to ferment at. Might make a batch for the missus. and then i'll hit her up for the ok to buy more brew equip/supplies

CM,

I used an ale yeast so fermented at 18degC.

Beers,
Doc

I may some of my lemonade tonight brewed well over a year ago.... Its around 14% unfortunately I doubt the flavours improved with age lol.

Missus has forbidden me to drink it but she's at work tonight.

Come think of it the reason she forbid me to drink it was because I punched and shattered a schooner glass for no reason!!! So maybe not!!!!

I may some of my lemonade tonight brewed well over a year ago.... Its around 14% unfortunately I doubt the flavours improved with age lol.

Missus has forbidden me to drink it but she's at work tonight.

Come think of it the reason she forbid me to drink it was because I punched and shattered a schooner glass for no reason!!! So maybe not!!!!

That's reason enough for me! Sounds like a party drink! :beerbang:

I did my lemonade today after reading the rest of the thread.

Method

2 packets of coopers yeast in a 1.25L starter, with 1/2 cup sugar and two pakets of boiled yeast (it went off)

Chopped up about 20-26 lemons and boiled for 45 min (no pith)
Zest of about 12-15 lemons boiled 5 min
Added 2kg brown sugar to lemon boil and 2kg brown sugar to fermenter.....
made up to 25L..

i have about 1 doz left and I may zest and boil and add to seconary when racking..

Tasted like sweet lemonade out of the frementer I am unsure of the OG as kids dropped Hydrometer this week.

I am hoping for about 6%-8% with a sweet taste :chug:

I hope that it will ok for spring / summer if not I will give to brother in law to incorperate into his still....etc

I did my lemonade today after reading the rest of the thread.

Method

2 packets of coopers yeast in a 1.25L starter, with 1/2 cup sugar and two pakets of boiled yeast (it went off)

Chopped up about 20-26 lemons and boiled for 45 min (no pith)
Zest of about 12-15 lemons boiled 5 min
Added 2kg brown sugar to lemon boil and 2kg brown sugar to fermenter.....
made up to 25L..

i have about 1 doz left and I may zest and boil and add to seconary when racking..

Tasted like sweet lemonade out of the frementer I am unsure of the OG as kids dropped Hydrometer this week.

I am hoping for about 6%-8% with a sweet taste :chug:

I hope that it will ok for spring / summer if not I will give to brother in law to incorperate into his still....etc

Great stuff Shawn. It sounds like a great brew - I reackon the brown sugar is the masterstroke.

Cheers,

Sean.

Does anyone make a Hard Lemonade concentrate like the cider and ginger beer ones you can get..

Quick and Simple..

CHEERS

sure does, I was looking at doing this one next week.

ColonyWestLemonade.jpg

Colony West Lemonade
Original home style recipe. Use with 1kg of dextrose to make a full strength refreshing lemonade.
$13.50

http://brewhaus.com.au/html/OtherDrinks.html

Just a quick update on the lemonade that I made.. about 5 posts up.

I guess it has been in the bottle for about six weeks now. Taste well its not sweet but it has a slight tarte aftertast.. I find it quite nice poured over some ice on a warm afternoon. It should be even better over summer.

My thoughts brown sugar is better?
Pith is the enemy!
lots of flavour in the zest.

I think I might follow your lead, Shawn. Your recipe looks spot on, and my lemon tree is looking mighty ripe. I might add some cinnamon to spice it up a little. Did you get much yeast flavour from the coopers?

Yes i am sure that I could tate the yeast flavour.....but I have an uneducated palete and could be mistaken. It tastes a lot like a wine with a lemon flavour with a slightly tarte aftertaste(with a yeaty note?) . I have been drinking it in a scotch glass with a few cubes of ice. What i have noticed though is some are more cabonated than others (PET 1.25) I think that the yeast may have given up the ghost before fully carbing some bottles. The ones I have tried have been light on the carb.. but not detracting from the taste. I have enjoyed the process of making it and we are enjoying the drinking of it which is I guess the whole point of getting into home brew.

Shawn

That looks the goods Shawn...thinking I too will steal your recipe! :D

Might go for a more neutral yeast strain myself, but aside from that, will follow your directions to the letter :super:

PZ.

This is how mine turned out:

30 lemons (~5kg, whole)
4kg brown sugar
500ml honey
1 cinnamon stick
yeast nutrient
ale yeast
champagne yeast

Boiled the flesh of the lemons in about 20 litres of water for 45 minutes. Brown sugar added once boiling. Yeast nutrient added at 20 minutes (remaining). Cinnamon added at 10 minutes. Zest of 20 lemons added at 5-10mins. Honey added at 5 minutes.

Made up to 28L of 1.070 with preboiled water. I'd have gone thinner, but I was running out of space in the fermenter.

Originally was going to use wyeast 1007 (german ale) for the bulk of fermentation, but had trouble getting it started so added a generic ale sachet, which worked very slowly. Champagne yeast added after 5 days. Both were started in a light (1.030) dextrose/lemonade/wort starter.

I have also prepared a vodka extraction of the zest of 10 lemons, which will be strained and added to the brew before bottling.

Taste so far is promising, though the brown sugar has added a heap of colour, so it will definately be an odd looking lemonade. It should finish up pretty dry, so I plan to drink it sweetened over ice in when the weather warms up.

Regardless of whether this is safe/sensible/a good idea, I am currently pasteurising all of my lemonade. It had reached sufficient carbonation, so instead of putting all 28L into the fridge, I thought I'd try my hand at killing off the yeast.

I bottled most of it in 2-2.4L plastic bottles, so I put them all in a big esky, and recirculated very hot water between my HLT and the esky until I'd reached a consistent temp around 65C. I left this for half an hour and am now chilling the whole lot in the same manner but with chilled water.

Does anyone want to comment on whether this was a bad idea/will turn my lemonade into vegemite/etc?

I don;t want to comment, but I sure am interested in what happens.....

I just made up the kit pictured earlyer in this post
Its the West kit, has the "lemon essence" everyone keeps downing...

I added to the 23L brew 6 fresh squeezed lemons, and used a microplane to zest the lemons.
been a few weeks i tried one lastnight, I stored it in the freezer for alot longer then a beer to get it icy cold, not sure why it took so bloody long. but when it did finally get icy cold i sat down on the couch and cracked it open, perfectly fizzy, smelt like icy poles had no smell of yeast or alcho at all.
Poured out a glass and my wife was first to try she was impressed with the flavour, I then tried and it was like a schweeps lemonade very refreshing and no taste of alcohol at all.. This will be stored untill summer when i am working hard outside and need something to slam down fast!!

Impressed for a $10 kit...

The ginger addition sounds good.
How does yours turn out? Sweet ? How alcoholic?
Does adding the peel make it a little tart?

Cheers,
Doc
the peel isnt what makes the tartness it is the white bit inside the peel
i would suggest just using the peel and strain before bottling/kegging it has more flavour then juice... just a shitload more work and alot of wastage

OK, this is something that I want to get into...

Now, lactose is good to add due to its not being fermented, but how much is the ideal amount? Have people experimented with how much they put in? 500g in a 22L batch seems to be the most common one, is this enough/too much?

Anyways here's a recipe I'm thinking of-

25-30 lemons (my other half's lemon tree gives relatively small lemons, so may need 30), juiced
zest of 5 lemons
2.5kg brown sugar
500g lactose
champagne yeast

Boil mixture for 5 minutes, make up to 22L

Sound good? is 5 lemons worth of zest not enough/too much?

Hmm... much to consider...

the peel isnt what makes the tartness it is the white bit inside the peel
i would suggest just using the peel and strain before bottling/kegging it has more flavour then juice... just a shitload more work and alot of wastage

I don't agree Damo (sorry mate :unsure: ) the peel is where you get the extra tartness to back up the lemon juice, the white (pith) is where the nasty bitterness comes from. That's why recipes (cookery and otherwise) generally advise care to make sure that you grind only zest and not pith, because it tastes bloody awful. (Many years in the kitchen.. I am the master of the lemon meringue pie :D )

edit: stupid head. making double negatives....:(

Latest posts

Back