Lemonade

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay after reading through this forum topic i have decided to join the search for the illusive holy grail lemonade brew.

My attempt is based loosly on the Nosebleed Hard Lemonade recipe and goes like this (23 ltr batch):

2.5kg Lemons

1.5kg Oranges

5g Pectinaise

1kg white sugar

2kg brown sugar

1kg honey

2 Cinnamon Sticks

2 Star Annise

100 g Ginger

20g Wine Nutient

Super Market Yeast (Tandaco from Coles) coz it was left over from JAOM

Sterilised fruit then rough cut into quarters boiled, cooled added pectinaise and let sit over nite.

Boiled in morning then mashed and let cool to handling temp.

Poured into fermenter through a wine fruit mash bag sitting in a colander.

Squeezed out mash bag into fermenter Transferred Cinamon and Star Annise and 100g of fine pulp no seeds and no skins to fermenter.

Added water to 23 litres and 26 degrees C. Hydro was 1.055

Added wine nutrient (20g) and stirred vigorously for 5 mins aerating and making a big splashy mess

Made 500mls yeast starter with 100g fine sugar and let sit covered fo 60 mins

Pitched yeast sealed and put in cupboard.

Visable fermentation started after 1 hour (blub blub).

Plan on adding a champaign yeast when supermarket one dies and fermenting till below 1.000, then bottling with a Jelly bean in each stubby.

Tasted yum and Sour <_< but not to worry coz it is after all Hard Lemon Ale.

Will post updates.

Here's my update.

Fermented to 0.098 and stopped bubling today (4 days)

Did not have to add any yeast or nutrient during the ferment.

Darn how can i slow down the fermentation time?

Stayed at 26 degrees whole time, maybe this needs to be cooler so ill try this again in winter.

Tastes fine, like lemons but without and ounce of sweetness no yeasty flavour yay.

Im thinking of changing my game plan and kegging this one tommorow with sugar to sweeten then cool in fridge gas and serve at Christmas.

Am surprised at this supermarket yeast fermenting out so quickly and completely same as with my apple cider experiment.

Any thoughts?

Here's my update.

Fermented to 0.098 and stopped bubling today (4 days)

Did not have to add any yeast or nutrient during the ferment.

Darn how can i slow down the fermentation time?

Stayed at 26 degrees whole time, maybe this needs to be cooler so ill try this again in winter.

Tastes fine, like lemons but without and ounce of sweetness no yeasty flavour yay.

Im thinking of changing my game plan and kegging this one tommorow with sugar to sweeten then cool in fridge gas and serve at Christmas.

Am surprised at this supermarket yeast fermenting out so quickly and completely same as with my apple cider experiment.

Any thoughts?

Definitely ferment cooler to slow it down 18deg would be better and use CY17 or SN9 yeast.

Add a bottle of Bickfords lemon cordial

I made the recipe a couple of pages back, wasn't much chop when we first tried it so it stayed in a keg for about a month until I remembered it was there. Soooooo much better after a few weeks, keg didn't last long after that

Raised the lemon tree today. Juiced just under 7L worth. Some for the kids for their lemonade and some for me.

4.1L lemon juice
16L water
1kg brown sugar
1kg dextrose
100G lactose
2 cinnamon sticks
Dash nutmeg
1/2tsp ground cloves
1tsp yeast nutrient
Zest of a shite load of lemons. About half of all the lemons.

Into boil went 3L of juice and 2L water and then just randomly added zest throughout the 20min boil. All the spices went into boil at the start also.

Haven't decided whether I'm using champagne yeast or trusty us05
Forgot to report Back on mine.
Certainly needs a few week or months conditioning (no surprise).
Very much like lemon juice slightly sweetened so I guess like old fashioned non alc lemonade. Then again I can eat lemons by themselves. Mysore is happy to drink it with some lemonade as it's not sweet enough for her. So more lactose I think.
But for me it's a great summer thirst quencher...with a nice alc kick :)

Lemonade Recipee

Doc, your Lemonade Recipee is alot different from mine.

Here is mine:

Ingredients -
2.5kg - 4.5kg of Cane sugar - depends upon alcohol strength wanted.
18 - 24 lemons - depending on size - sliced up or better still through a food processor....including peel.
2 oz fresh grated Ginger
1 teaspoon of yeast nutrient and gypsum
1 ale yeast or better with Mead/Pinot Noir Yeast - especially for the higher alcohol version.
Water to make 5 gallons.
Optional:
spices - cinamon, nutmeg and cloves to taste.
100 gms of Belgian Candi Sugar

Boil all ingredients except yeast in a sacepan with 5 litres of water for 20 mins.
Let stand for 10 mins and then strain into fermenter. Top up to 20 litres with cold water - pitch yeast when cool enough.
Rack after 2 weeks and lager for a further 2 weeks in the secondary.

Keg lemonade and force carbonate at 300 kpa - rocking keg for 5 mins and then leaving it on the presure for 48 hours.
Cut to normal pouring presure, and serve.
Add a slice of lime for an extra tang.

Doc,
what do you think....

Sounds like a nice drink.
I will be trying out something like this soon

a month since the last post and its almost all gone and time to make more :) that little bit of conditioning does wonders. and you can certianly tone the alc down unless you want to knock back a few pints quenching your thirst and then stumble around :)

Bump, anyone got a decent recipe to report back?
Looking for something for ahem SWMBO :D

Latest posts

Back