Lemonade

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting that this topic came up again after cracking a bottle of my 'Kumquat brew' on the weekend.
I used around 700g of freshly picked kumquats, 1kg of raw sugar and 1kg of dextrose. Squeezed the juice from the fruit, and boiled it up with the skins and sugar, strained it all into a fermenter and filled it to 12L. Just used a left over kit yeast I had in the fridge, and the resulting drink is quite similiar to a very potent (9%+) sour/bitter cloudy lemonade.
Luckily a few months in the bottle has cleared it up a bit and taken the edge off the alcohol and sourness, and its quite drinkable. Bit like a sharp sparkling wine of sorts.

metabisulphite (sodium or potassium) should do the job. Campden tabs are just this. From memory tab per 30L. Never tried it tho but its what used to kill the wild yeasts in freshly squeezed/crushed apple juice.

potassium sorbate

P&C how sweet is a glass of milk?

25-30 lemons (my other half's lemon tree gives relatively small lemons, so may need 30), juiced
zest of 5 lemons
2.5kg brown sugar
500g lactose
champagne yeast
Boil mixture for 5 minutes, make up to 22L
I do one for SWMO with
2-2.5kg lemons (and or limes) - half sliced, half juiced
Zest of some of the juiced ones
2-2.5kg of dextrose
1 tsp of yeast nutrient
Add enough water to safely boil.
Boil 10-20 min's

Strain into fermenter and make up to 19 litres.

Generic ale yeast.

Either let it ferment out or taste it and when it is about the right sweetness keg/chill it.

First batch AKA 1.5 dogs with all the lemons sliced was a bit too tangy (marmalade anyone?)
Second batch aka 1.9 dogs with half juiced and their pith disgarded much better.

hehehe
finally, an out of towner

Mate, a while back a bloke called Duncan made alcoholic lemonade and sold it in kegs around Adelaide. It was a pretty big hit. We bought a keg of the stuff once and drank it until we almost drowned. The batch must have had about 2% alcohol. But generally it was pretty good stuff. Tatsed like lemons, not dishwashing liquid. He later sold it to the bigwigs who changed the recipe and fu<ked up the whole thing.
Anyway, it was called "Two Dogs" after the old joke about the Indian names.

Bumpy Poop!!!

GREAT TOPIC BTW!

Doc how's the brew after 5 odd years? Are you game?

Ok I blame CM2 for my interest in this (cheers CM) but I am afraid it needs to be done. I have 2 trees, one lemon and one lime chok-a-block full of fruit with all the rain we have had, so I'm thinking a lemon/lime-ade.

Let's call it "Lemlimaide" kinda sounds chinese?

Worked up P&C's recipe. BTW how is it going P&C? Thanks for the inspiration.

Anywho here's a recipe I'm thinking of doing in the next week or two:

15-20 lemons juiced (these are bush lemons big on flavour, big on pith and as rough as my head)
15-20 limes juiced (smallish limes excellent taste I will have to sneak these past the resident gin drinker)
zest of 15 limes (Thought this would be an interesting twist, No?)
2.5kg brown sugar
500g Ironbark honey
500g lactose
champagne yeast

Boil 20lts say for 30mins

Add brown sugar 30 mins
Add lactose 15 mins
Add zest 5 mins
Add honey 5 mins

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

I cant find my reciepe anymore :( it was based on GMK's GMKaide (*cough* gateraide rip off *cough*) :) His recipe is back on page 2 of this thread

Chappo - make sure you get the zest from the leomns as well. The pith though will make it bitter. dont get that in there.

I cant find my reciepe anymore :( it was based on GMK's GMKaide (*cough* gateraide rip off *cough*) :) His recipe is back on page 2 of this thread

Chappo - make sure you get the zest from the leomns as well. The pith though will make it bitter. dont get that in there.

Roger that CM2 - I really don't want it to tart.

The flavour I am shooting for (mind you completely blind folded BTW) is the tart of lemons mellowed by the subtlity of limes (less harsh) and a pleasing sweetness with a dry finish.

Actually just had a thought what about this:

15-20 lemons juiced (these are bush lemons big on flavour, big on pith and as rough as my head)
15-20 limes juiced (smallish limes excellent taste I will have to sneak these past the resident gin drinker)
zest of 5 lemons? maybe more
2.5kg brown sugar
500g Ironbark honey
500g lactose
2 sticks cinnamon
champagne yeast

Add brown sugar 30 mins
Add lactose 15 mins
Add cinnamon
Add zest 5 mins
Add honey 5 mins

I add cinnamon to my ginger beer and it makes a huge difference to it, makes it more mellow and earthy?

I love that champagne yeast - it's makes it as dry as the Todd River and very crisp.

Chappo, I'll be down to test this with some cigars. Because nothing goes better than Lemlimade & Cohibas! :lol:

InCider.

I love that champagne yeast - it's makes it as dry as the Todd River and very crisp.

Chappo, I'll be down to test this with some cigars. Because nothing goes better than Lemlimade & Cohibas! :lol:

InCider.

Anytime "N#gga", what's mine is yours you know that! But keep your hands off my sheep, damn thing had to be sedated after your last visit... don't care to know what you did? :lol:

zest of 5 lemons? maybe more
2.5kg brown sugar
500g Ironbark honey
500g lactose
2 sticks cinnamon
champagne yeast

I'd personally go for more lemons than limes.
zest from all the lemons.
definitely the cinamon. yum.

champaigen yeast will dry it out a lot. you can get cider yeasts that wont finish as dry. up to you for what you aiming for, the lactose will help keep/provide someof the sweetness.

also the pith wont make it tart, it will make it bitter. really yuk. spoils it. also if it finishes too dry or not sweet enough you can always mix a little something in there to sweeten it up.

Cheers CM2 I agree the champagne yeast will make it too dry which is not what I am after.

Ok so it's starting to look like this then:

20-30 lemons juiced (these are bush lemons big on flavour, big on pith and as rough as my head)
10-15 limes juiced (smallish limes excellent taste I will have to sneak these past the resident gin drinker)
zest of 15 lemons? maybe more
zest of 10 limes (Thought this would be an interesting twist, No?)
2.5kg brown sugar
500g Ironbark honey
500g lactose
2 sticks cinnamon
cider yeast

Add brown sugar 30 mins
Add lactose 15 mins
Add cinnamon
Add zest 5 mins
Add honey 5 mins

Any ideas on neutrients? And if I should use them?

wouldnt hurt. But I havent ever used them. I'd day at the beginning and at a couple days. depending on alc % maybe towards the end. sorry cant be much help here.

but hurry and make it so I can learn from your mistakes :p

but hurry and make it so I can learn from your mistakes :p
:lol:

Yep this new yeastie neutrients stuff has me a little baffled but a bit of surfing should solve that! :D

BTW I'm going to have a crack at this on the weekend. Tree's are full of fruit and I figure it's simple enough recipe plus a good way to shake down my new kettle etc. I am furiously trying to get my Brewery together so I can get my first AG under my belt in the next few weekends.

If it turns out I will definitely let you know.
icon8.gif

Seeing this thread alive again reminds me I should get under the house and dig out a bottle from the 2003 experiment :p

Doc

havent read it all but looks interesting... This is what smirnoff are doing now isnt it to avoid the tax laws or whatever... might give this a try would be interesting to see if i can make my own binge drink haha

Latest posts

Back