Leftover hop IPA/Pale Ale advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bats

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I always use other people's recipes therefore I am hopeless at designing my own.

I have some hop pellet dregs that I am getting rid of so doing a brew as we speak (or read) to get rid of the leftovers.

I want to get something close to an IPA. I love a good hoppy IPA!

I am currently mashed in with 5kg 2 Row and 500g crystal. My final volume will be about 23 to 25 litres.

If anyone has any idea on hop measurements and a schedule it would be greatly appreciated.

Here's what I have to play with:

Galaxy 14.5% - 78g
Cascade 7.14% - 35g
Chinook 11.8% - 16g
Magnum 11.3% - 14g

Cheers.

Just looking at the 10 min IPA recipe on the database.

If I used all as a 10 min hop addition, would it be a disaster?

Chill or no chill? I've heard galaxy is very potent so it might not be a good idea throwing all 78g of that in. Still an amateur myself but I'd bitter with magnum and throw all the cascade and chinook and probly half of the galaxy in the cube then maybe dry hop with more galaxy.

hey mate, if I punch in 5.5 kg the abv won't get into IPA range
20ltrs brings the abv to 5.9 based on 3v 70% eff

It's a hard thing with the hops, you could use all the magnum at 60 then all the cascade at 20 which is 50 ibu's
Then you could whirlpool the chinnook and dry hop with Galaxy, the options are many

Choices you have

LiquidGold said:
Chill or no chill? I've heard galaxy is very potent so it might not be a good idea throwing all 78g of that in. Still an amateur myself but I'd bitter with magnum and throw all the cascade and chinook and probly half of the galaxy in the cube then maybe dry hop with more galaxy.
It will be no chill.

Good point. Might hold back a bit on the Galaxy.

Latest posts

Back