Leffe Radieuse Recipe?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cant think that cherry flavour has ever been on my mind when drinking the clone OR the actual.
It has some aromas and maybe some sourness from the yeast, that you might associate with stonefruit and cherry, but I reckon any cherry flavours you are getting visually from the red.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
I am yet to brew a Radieuse clone, as a brewer who does not brew Belgium's often I need a recipe for this one off brew. I feel you maybe on the money there S.B. just need others feed back on your recipe ;)

Batz

if it's malt it's called black, roast means roasted barley, like this or this.
OK thanks, i think I got a bit confused - I think i was was thinking "special roast" which appears in some american recipes, and is subbed with brown malt IIRC

I'm thinking that some caramelization of the first runnings could be interesting

Just lightly caramelise the sugar to a reddish hue and bung a pinch of citric acid in with it as well, before using it in the kettle or in the fermenter.

23 litre batch, 60% eff
7kg pils
.2 cr120
.1 melanoiden
.1 roast
.2 munich
30g northern brewer 60min 20IBU
50G tetenang 60min 20IBU
10g saaz flameout
1kg sugar
SG 1080
FG 1010
Wyeast 3787

Do not add the sugar till two weeks into fermentaion or once gravity is below 1020
You need a huge starter or 250ml or so of slurry.
Start fermentation at 16 deg for one week.
Raise temp to 18 deg for another week.
Drop in sugar, raise temp to 22deg till final gravity reached.

200g of Munich, would Weyermann Munich II suffice here? Wouldn't I have to make it a partial with Munich and the Melanoidin in there, subbing some Pilsner with LDME?
Those hop weights are for a full 1.080 boil for 60mins?

The grain bill for the Belgian Strong Dark Ale recipe in 'Brewing Classic Styles' looks interesting

All-Grain option

15lbs Continental Pilsner
3lbs Munich Malt
0.5lb Wheat Malt

1lb Aromatic
1lb Caramunich 60L
1lb Special B
0.5lb Melanoidin

1lb Cane Sugar

90 min boil because of the Pilsner I assume.

They have a single addition of Hallertau@ 60mins for 31.4 IBU

200g of Munich, would Weyermann Munich II suffice here? Wouldn't I have to make it a partial with Munich and the Melanoidin in there, subbing some Pilsner with LDME?

The grain bill for the Belgian Strong Dark Ale recipe in 'Brewing Classic Styles' looks interesting

All-Grain option

15lbs Continental Pilsner
3lbs Munich Malt
0.5lb Wheat Malt

1lb Aromatic
1lb Caramunich 60L
1lb Special B
0.5lb Melanoidin

1lb Cane Sugar

90 min boil because of the Pilsner I assume.

They have a single addition of Hallertau@ 60mins for 31.4 IBU

SB, RexBanner, Ester Trub and myself all did the strong dark recipe from BCS for equipment comparison sake... is aging as we speak :) Ester Trub isn't around at the moment, we're awaiting his return for the taste-off.

SB the cellar your talking about is figgy cellars right?

SB, RexBanner, Ester Trub and myself all did the strong dark recipe from BCS for equipment comparison sake... is aging as we speak :) Ester Trub isn't around at the moment, we're awaiting his return for the taste-off.

WY1762?

is that the same yeast as WL530?

He he.. taste off.
If each of us have one 330 bottle of each others to taste.
Thats an 11.5% beer, man.
Im getting scared.
I reckon we need some impartials on the day, too.

IBU Volunteers?

Sure, why not. Its not exactly the same, but its a tiny amount and you are using these grains for colour and flavour, not so much for sugar, so no partial mash conversion is necessary.
yes, those are the hop weights.

Remember, guys, this is MY recipe, for MY gear, with MY dodgy skills and MY flawed taste buds.
Change anything you want, but for me, this is a close call on appearance, colour and flavour.

What Im looking forward to now, is the response to this thread in 6 months time, where the criticism of this recipe starts, even though the critics substituted grains, yeast, mash and ferment temps and hops.

"Hey, I did this recipe (with minor changes) and it tastes nothing like it"
<_<

Sweet. Might have to make a trip up there.

He he.. taste off.
If each of us have one 330 bottle of each others to taste.
Thats an 11.5% beer, man.
Im getting scared.
I reckon we need some impartials on the day, too.

IBU Volunteers?

Bring some to RAF (please)

WL 540 according to the Mr malty comparison chart: http://www.mrmalty.com/yeast.htm#Wyeast_vs_WLP

530 is 3787.

It appears there is an error in one case then.
'Brewing Classic Styles' has WLP530 as Abbey Ale IV.
Mr Malty has 530 as Abbey Ale Yeast and WY3787 as an eqivalent

The BCS recipe in question has WLP530 Abbey Ale IV, WY1762 Belgian Abbey II or Fermentis Safbrew T-58 as appropraite yeast options.

Worth an email. Jamil is responsible for both I believe (Mr malty and BCS)

Theres a typo in BCS in regards to that abbey ale, they mention it on one of their belgian CYBI episodes IIRC

Back