Leffe Radieuse Recipe?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had the opportunity to sample this delicious beer last night, alongside the blonde, and I have to say that I now have a thing for redheads.
Very keen to make an attempt at something similar to it and would like some pointers for an extract or partial recipe.
Anyone have anything a little more specific than previously mentioned as yet?

WY3787 might be the one but not sure.
WY3522 sounds like it might give something similar.
WY1388 dunno,

what do you reckon, any of these or perhaps another?

WY3787 might be the one but not sure.
WY3522 sounds like it might give something similar.
WY1388 dunno,

what do you reckon, any of these or perhaps another?
No idea what Radieuse is like but sounds psoitively good so might have to go
and try to find one.

Perhaps another interesting angle is THIS REVIEW concludes Radieuse is a bit like
a Scottish Wee Heavy and the Wyeast style description could be informative.

Being a K&E brewer at the moment, Coopers' Wee Heavy scotch-ale recipe
might make the following interesting to try:

1.7kg Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale beer kit
1.5kg Thomas Coopers Amber Malt Extract
500g Dark Brown Sugar
Wyeast 1762 - Belgian Abbey II
(and Saaz?)

Tom

23 litre batch, 60% eff
7kg pils
.2 cr120
.1 melanoiden
.1 roast
.2 munich
30g northern brewer 60min 20IBU
50G tetenang 60min 20IBU
10g saaz flameout
1kg sugar
SG 1080
FG 1010
Wyeast 3787

Do not add the sugar till two weeks into fermentaion or once gravity is below 1020
You need a huge starter or 250ml or so of slurry.
Start fermentation at 16 deg for one week.
Raise temp to 18 deg for another week.
Drop in sugar, raise temp to 22deg till final gravity reached.

I didn't find this beer to be much like the blonde in a side by side, in fact I could of swore the blonde was more bitter and had a fairly different yeast profile but the Radieuse is 8.2% alc which may alter the perception.
A bit of Dark Belgian Candy Syrup wouldn't go astray would it?

SwingingBeef, is this your recipe?
Yes.

I had this beer in Rome (where you cant get good beer... apparently!)
Its been a favorite of mine for years.
Fortunately, my local bottle shop havent quite worked out what it is.
Leffe Blonde $6.95
Leffe Brune $8.95
Leffe Radiuse $4.50

Lets hope they never do.

I think I paid 5 bux somethng for it, worth the money anyway.

Would you classify this beer as a Belgian Dark Strong Ale according to the guidelines?

I've found a nice lookin recipe in 'Brewing Classic Styles' by Zainasheff and Palmer that looks something similar, maybe.
They are using around 5% Belgian Aromatic and just under 3% Melanoidin which I'm not sure I really want to try in an extract brew without any high DP base malts in the bill.
Maybe this brew could be a good one to put on the boiler until I'm doing AG, so to speak.

Maybe this brew could be a good one to put on the boiler until I'm doing AG, so to speak.
No way!
I find the best extract brews are the ones that do their best to conceal the extract aftertaste with overwhelming aromas and flavours of either hops, yeast or roast.
This one should be yeasty.
Go nuts!

23 litre batch, 60% eff
7kg pils
.2 cr120
.1 melanoiden
.1 roast
.2 munich
50G tetenang 60min 20IBU
10g saaz flameout
1kg sugar
SG 1080
FG 1010
Wyeast 3787

Do not add the sugar till two weeks into fermentaion or once gravity is below 1020
You need a huge starter or 250ml or so of slurry.
Start fermentation at 16 deg for one week.
Raise temp to 18 deg for another week.
Drop in sugar, raise temp to 22deg till final gravity reached.
I assume northern brewer is UK not US?
I also assume straight infusion mash at around 65C (for simplicity sake - I assume that actual beer is decoc mash)

I assume northern brewer is UK not US?
I also assume straight infusion mash at around 65C (for simplicity sake - I assume that actual beer is decoc mash)
UK/US.... 60 minutes... who cares?
Single Infusion mash, 63 degrees.

UK/US.... 60 minutes... who cares?
Single Infusion mash, 63 degrees.
cause they taste differant. thats why.

mash temp makes sense for a little drier finish.

looks good. might have to have a crack over summer

23 litre batch, 60% eff
7kg pils
.2 cr120
.1 melanoiden
.1 roast
.2 munich
50G tetenang 60min 20IBU
10g saaz flameout
1kg sugar
SG 1080
FG 1010
Wyeast 3787
Roast malt? Where do you get that? Is brown malt an acceptable substitute?

cause they taste differant. thats why.

mash temp makes sense for a little drier finish.

looks good. might have to have a crack over summer

Reckon you could taste the difference of such a small bittering addition in a big belgian? I think you could ANY hop for bittering in this and noone would pick it.

Roast malt? Where do you get that? Is brown malt an acceptable substitute?
brown malt wont do as a sub. roast is common as. should be able to get it anywhere. black malt, roast barley, black patent etc. all roughly the same thing.
failing that ive got shite loads of roast. I can give you 100g for free.

edit: beaten by sammus

Reckon you could taste the difference of such a small bittering addition in a big belgian? I think you could ANY hop for bittering in this and noone would pick it.
quite possibly, yeah. but i was asking becasue i havent made this before and it was a question. if i ever use US NB in this reciepe ill let you know. personally i dont think US NB is the go in this. you dont want to chance that wood/mint character coming through. IMO of course.

edit2: and of course by UK I actually mean germany. woops.

quite possibly, yeah. but i was asking becasue i havent made this before and it was a question. if i ever use US NB in this reciepe ill let you know. personally i dont think US NB is the go in this. you dont want to chance that wood/mint character coming through. IMO of course.
I tend to disagree with Sammus.
But not on this occasion.
Use whatever hop you want for 60 min in this beer.
You are talking 20ibu in a near 8kg grain bill.
Three fifteenths of a bee's dick will be the amount of flavour contributed by NB.

I tend to disagree with Sammus.
But not on this occasion.
Use whatever hop you want for 60 min in this beer.
You are talking 20ibu in a near 8kg grain bill.
Three fifteenths of a bee's dick will be the amount of flavour contributed by NB.
cool thanks for the info.

another question, have you been getting that cherryish kick from the above recipe that you find in the actual radieuse?

I cant think that cherry flavour has ever been on my mind when drinking the clone OR the actual.
It has some aromas and maybe some sourness from the yeast, that you might associate with stonefruit and cherry, but I reckon any cherry flavours you are getting visually from the red.

I cant think that cherry flavour has ever been on my mind when drinking the clone OR the actual.
It has some aromas and maybe some sourness from the yeast, that you might associate with stonefruit and cherry, but I reckon any cherry flavours you are getting visually from the red.
good enough reason to go our and treat myself with buying a few for evaluation purposes :D

Latest posts

Back