Leffe Radieuse Recipe?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batz

Batz Brewery...Hand crafted beers from the 'Batcav
Reaction score
Does anyone have a tried and tested recipe for this? I have one for the Blonde but not the Radieuse.

Batz

Too easy Batz,with nearly 8700 posts surely you have some idea where to go. Post you're proposed recipe and and the forum will help you fine tune it.

HD

Very interested in this also. It is my fav Belgian but the blonde always gets the attention... typical.

Too easy Batz,with nearly 8700 posts surely you have some idea where to go. Post you're proposed recipe and and the forum will help you fine tune it.

HD

I'm not a Belgian fan and have only brewed two Belgians in my life, both were good according to all who sampled them.
I asked for a tried and tested recipe, sure I can work one out myself but it would take a few brews to perfect it and I don't want a few brews of this <_<

As far as posting a recipe and it being fine tuned here...I don't think so, I get very frustrated reading others help in fine tuning recipes, in fact it often makes me scream ! Having said that there are of course lots of experienced brewers that do offer excellent advise, but when I read stuff like add Cascade to an Aussie Lager :huh:

Batz :ph34r:

I asked the same question about a year ago batz. Don't remember the answer though. I'm on the iPhone so I'm not searching the responses to my question though. Sorry.
Edit
screw it I'm procrastinating from study. Results here
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...amp;hl=Radieuse

bugger all use though. I'd certainly be interested in the responses though

Clearly we all love it but haven't made it.

My google fu could be off, but I can't find anything on the interwebs that hints at a recipe either - lots for the blonde but nothing for the radieuse.

cheers

grant

I asked the same question about a year ago batz. Don't remember the answer though. I'm on the iPhone so I'm not searching the responses to my question though. Sorry.
Edit
screw it I'm procrastinating from study. Results here
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...amp;hl=Radieuse

bugger all use though. I'd certainly be interested in the responses though

Yes I found that thread city, and also came up with nothing on my goggle attempts. It's an interesting one hey?

Batz

Could you not take the base grains of the Blonde or other trappist grain builds, tweak with say a grain that gives a darker red hue, add a dash of coriander to give it the spice and stick with a low to medium bitterness hop build using german noble hops (still not sure on my hop tastes so i wont offer a suggestion)? All the reviews talk about caramel notes and one even describes its a a fruitcake (cherry) flavour similar to a christmas beer. They (WWW) also say that the Radieuse is a more bitter beer than the Blonde, so that may help in calculations.

Other things i have found:
- Bannana flavour (subtle) totally yeast driven
- Yeast used is a top fermenting yeast, something that can handle the higher ABV level (narrow it down a bit)
- Spring water from high in the mountains used originally (Leffe valley)
- From WWW : The ingredients are dark malt, corn, water, hops and spices (coriander, among others) and yeast which give it a bronze colour. (http://www.jamesclay.co.uk/beer-suppliers/terms-j-l)
(note:at work no coffee could just be talking out my arse)

Could you not take the base grains of the Blonde or other trappist grain builds, tweak with say a grain that gives a darker red hue, add a dash of coriander to give it the spice and stick with a low to medium bitterness hop build using german noble hops (still not sure on my hop tastes so i wont offer a suggestion)? All the reviews talk about caramel notes and one even describes its a a fruitcake (cherry) flavour similar to a christmas beer. They (WWW) also say that the Radieuse is a more bitter beer than the Blonde, so that may help in calculations.

I was thinking the same thing, and that's exactly what I'll do Eater, it's a bit of a challenge that has been thrown at me.

Batz

I would be very keen to see what you think would be a good start, i like that particular beer so much i paid our Vintage cellars up here just a tad over $150 to get a carton up for me last xmas. To make my own would be heavenly.

I would be very keen to see what you think would be a good start, i like that particular beer so much i paid our Vintage cellars up here just a tad over $150 to get a carton up for me last xmas. To make my own would be heavenly.

I'll send you bottle to evaluate Eater

Batz

It seems contrary to what Belgians do but maybe they used a lager yeast to hid the alc of this beer given that it's 8.2% and it's so clean. Nfi where the cherry comes from, it can't be fruit si must be yeast driven somehow.
Maybe it's the same trick employed in white rabbit (well one bloke recons they use raspberries in the clone thread - highly unlikely but a yeast or malt trick makes more sense).

subtitles taken form their website description if it helps

This full-bodied Radieuse is slightly more bitter than Leffe Triple. It has the most hops of all Leffe beers.

A deep brown, almost rusty colour and an alcohol content of 8.2%. Lets first pour the perfect Leffe.

Its best to pour the bottle at an angle of 45 degrees. Now lets have a sip.

Its got this great fruity flavour with a hint of banana and a lovely spicy clove taste and coriander

Did you taste the smokiness and hints of citrus too?

Thats why it goes great with lobster and cheese.

So it's made with smoked lobster and cheese?! U good 4*. u can do better than that, I know u can

So it's made with smoked lobster and cheese?! U good 4*. u can do better than that, I know u can

I dont want to stir up Batz complex disorder and try and make up a belgian recipe that i know almost nothing about. Besides, the only belgians ive made have been witbiers :ph34r: (oh and a faux saison)

I know... shame... shame!

MI'M thinking a trick with special b and yeast. No idea why just a gut feeling. It's the cook in mE

MI'M thinking a trick with special b and yeast. No idea why just a gut feeling. It's the cook in mE

I think you're right, definitely in the yeast and a manipulated fermentation no doubt.

I reckon that there's a quantity of dark sugar/candi in there as well, maybe some wheat too

I dont want to stir up Batz complex disorder

Good idea

ChildsPlay1.jpg

That would be great Batz ;)

Ok so far i can see a call for :
Wheat (50%+?)
Special B (caramel tones)
Pils malt (guessing)
Wyeast 1762 or 3522 (taken from various blonde recipes about the nets)
Reddish hued grain (Carared?)
Coriander
Citrus flavouring hop addition (or maybe bitter orage peel like a wit)
Dark candi sugar for gravity im guessing
Small dark smokey grain addition (Rauchmalt?)

Still to create flavour for the cherry hint and the clove (im assuming putting cherries and cloves in is not the way to do it). How do xmas beers get the flavour of cherries in?

i would say they use a slightly higher then average fermentation to get the fruit/cloves flavour but still low enough for clean alcohol, would have to be a delicate balance.

Back