Leffe Blonde

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoctorBob

Reaction score
Well, flushed with my recent success usinig extract and a bit of grain, on an amber ale, my next cunning plan is a Leffe Blonde ....

comments appreciated........

3kg light malt extract (Coopers)
1kg dry light malt extract (Coopers)
0.5kg Cane sugar
250g Wheat malt steeped at 67C ish for 30 mins
35g Hallertau Hersbruck, 4.5%, 60mins
17g Saaz (Czech), 5%, 15 mins
17g Saaz (Czech), 5%, 1min
yeast WYeast 1214 Belgian Abbey

My ameteur calcs give:
OG 1072
FG 1018
ALC 7.8%
IBU 28.2

Will this hold a head with this alc content? Should I add some corn syrup to help?

Congratulations on past successes!

That should float I'd guess, however I'm not really a Belgian fancier so it is hard for me to say. Lines up roughly with the specs in Brew Like a Monk, although Hieronymus has no wheat but some maize adjunct and 6.6%abv, so maybe ease up on the fermentables or increase the volume and adjust hops if need be (~25IBU). There have been a few threads on this in days gone by, probably worth a search (TDA's this or this look good, but are AG).

SG 1016 tonight.....obviously not wanting to waste the sample had a taste.

This will be yum. Warm high alcohol, and estery, plus a hint of wheat.

I think your little mash of malted wheat will be much better for the head retention than simple sugars like corn syrup. It has been said that head retention and alcohol are not directly related, but I don't have an opinion, and have had various small and big beers with both small and big heads.

That is a pretty decent looking "extract with grain" beer there.

Bottled this tonight. Yum. Still lots of estery taste, can taste the wheat, and not that warm tasting considering FG 1016 makes it around 8%. Let you know how it drinks in a month....

I'm new here, and sorry if I'm not sayin' it right.
But I have my first brew kit made it by myself. And was bottled it in one week.
The point is that yesterday I was drink original Leffe blond and my suprise was that taste of my one week old beer and Leffe taste is absolutely the same. The kit I was made is Brewferm's Diabolo. Alc.8% vol. in 9 liters. Hope this helps.
Cheers mate! :beer:

Latest posts

Back