Feedback Sought. My First Recipe.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blink471

Reaction score
I have been playing around trying to find a style of beer I like and can call my own thing.

Lately have tried using Coopers Canadian Blonde and Morgans Canadian Light as a base to start.. and add grain and hops to, to get that easy light style
bitter beer I like to drink.
But now want to get a bit more adventurous before going all grain... (one day).

I have come up with this and would like to hear from you guy's if I'm wrong in any department. Understanding it may not be your style of nectar.
I have used Kit and Extract spreadsheet to help with this and get approx final readings.

1 x 1.5kg Coopers Light Malt

1kg Light Dry Malt

500g Carapils

200g Light Crystal

50g Super Alpha (Dr Rudi) Hops

12g Galaxy Hops

Safale US 05

Steep grains for 30mins in 2.5 litres of water at approx 2.5 litres of boiled water.

Sparge drained grains with hot water to make up around 5 litres of liquid.

Bring liquid to boil and add Super Alpha hops @30 mins.

flame out and add Galaxy hops to liquid.

Add to fermenter and mix DME and can of LDM to combine.

Make up to 23 litres and when cooled to correct temp, add yeast.

Bulk prime and bottle.

Should get around 5.1 alc when finished which is slightly high.

I could add some dry hops during fermentation but will wait to see what everyone says.

Predicted OG 1.042
FG 1.006

IBU 35.8
EBC 8.9

Thoughts? :chug:

IMHO light coloured, easy drinking beers should be kept simple. If you're wanting to be more adventurous with the steeped grains, other styles would be better to learn on.

500g of carapils is way to much and will make the beer far to full bodied to be easy drinking. I'd be inclined to leave it out altogether .

Nothing wrong with the light xtal for a hint of flavour and better head retention .

50g of super alpha @ 30 will get you close to 50 ibu.

Thanks for your reply...

I thought that this particular grain steeped was pretty light.. not a lot of colour or body... Will have another look.

And by the spreadsheet calculations... the IBU should be around 35...

Don't mind a bit of body... more trying to achieve good head retention. Was just experimenting.

Carapils is light and doesn't add much flavour , so brewers basically just use it for extra body and head retention . In your case, the light crystal will accomplish that and add a bit of flavour.

I'm inclined to agree on the carapilis, just the crystal should give a nice touch of gold (always avoid making beer that is piss yellow) and a bit of toffee/caramel to the flavour.
If you are looking to improve the head, add about 400g of dry or 1.2 times as much liquid wheat extract.
Another trick is to match the gravity of the wort you are boiling the hops in to (or close to) the gravity of the beer you are making i.e. around 1.042 in this case. hops boiled in water or low gravity worts tend to taste different and the bitterness calculations tend to go to hell.
Welcome to the journey, just a warning, there is a saying in brewing - if you ask 3 brewers you will get 4 opinions - well there are hundreds of people here so you might get buried in ideas.
Have fun
Mark

Agree re: carapils.. I would stick to the light crystal.
Would reduce the super alpha at 30 mins to give you closer to 30-35ibu's
Would up the Galaxy at flame out. 12g won't give you much.. Would prob put at least 25-30 grams in.

MHB said:
I'm inclined to agree on the carapilis, just the crystal should give a nice touch of gold (always avoid making beer that is piss yellow) and a bit of toffee/caramel to the flavour.
If you are looking to improve the head, add about 400g of dry or 1.2 times as much liquid wheat extract.
Another trick is to match the gravity of the wort you are boiling the hops in to (or close to) the gravity of the beer you are making i.e. around 1.042 in this case. hops boiled in water or low gravity worts tend to taste different and the bitterness calculations tend to go to hell.
Welcome to the journey, just a warning, there is a saying in brewing - if you ask 3 brewers you will get 4 opinions - well there are hundreds of people here so you might get buried in ideas.
Have fun
Mark
Cheers to both you guys... I take every suggestion on board and learn.

I did look at using wheat extract. Was having a One Fifty Lashes at the pub today..and looked up its ingredients. And it has wheat as a part of it. Interesting....

And yes the gravity was something I intended to check while doing the boil... good tip. Thanks again.

stewy said:
Agree re: carapils.. I would stick to the light crystal.
Would reduce the super alpha at 30 mins to give you closer to 30-35ibu's
Would up the Galaxy at flame out. 12g won't give you much.. Would prob put at least 25-30 grams in.
ok... seems like the carapils aren't needed. its just that I had some crushed grain here and wanted to use it.

Can I ask what you mean about reducing the super alpha? Dont use as much?

If a brought the Super Alpha down to say 30g @30 mins.
And increased the Galaxy to 30g @5mins... might still give a good bitter taste and increase aroma?

Maybe?

blink471 said:
ok... seems like the carapils aren't needed. its just that I had some crushed grain here and wanted to use it.

Can I ask what you mean about reducing the super alpha? Dont use as much?

If a brought the Super Alpha down to say 30g @30 mins.
And increased the Galaxy to 30g @5mins... might still give a good bitter taste and increase aroma?

Maybe?
Yes, reduce the amount. I would shoot for around 25-35 IBU's.

Can put the Galaxy in at 5 mins or 0 mins. You will get plenty of aroma & still some bitterness depending how long it takes you to chill the wort

Back