Leaving sodium perc in plastic for weeks?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmac91

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a 48L storage tub (here: https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/198495 ) and fill it with bottles and sodium perc. Weeks later I'll brew a new batch, rinse the sodium perc off and bottle.
Is there a problem with this logic?

Would it be an issue to leave sodium perc in a plastic container for weeks?

I do it regularly and haven't had any issues.

Although are you also sanitizing with something like starsan?

one thing ill point out is that sodium perc breaks down in its use. its a one shot thing and is only good for the first couple of hours. then its water and its by products.

Yeah I have starsan solution in a spray bottle and pray 2-3 squirts per bottle before bottling.

Barls, so I'd basically be leaving them in water, which would be relatively useless?

Better to rinse with clean water and store dry sodium perc works for more then a few hours if its hot that may be different.

yep sorry to be the bearer of bad news. it may last a couple of hours at the best but not weeks. maybe try a caustic solution if you want to do something like this.
other wise id suggest as above clean water rinse then store dry.

barls said:
one thing ill point out is that sodium perc breaks down in its use. its a one shot thing and is only good for the first couple of hours. then its water and its by products.
Hmm. I've soaked things in strong sodium perc solutions and found that after a couple of hours they're still brown. But after overnight = white as snow.

Yeah I don't think it's as active anymore but put your hands into it after days or weeks, still strips your skin lining making your skin feel nice a silky, which I think means it's a basic solution in terms of pH?

Phoney said:
Hmm. I've soaked things in strong sodium perc solutions and found that after a couple of hours they're still brown. But after overnight = white as snow.
what I'm pointing out is that its a limited time reaction not something like caustic that will hang around till its neutralised.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_percarbonate
Dissolved in water, it yields a mixture of hydrogen peroxide (which eventually decomposes to water and oxygen) and sodium carbonate ("soda ash").[1]
it would be the soda ash that does the whitening its also a very mild alkali

The initial reaction will happen anyway, OP mentions putting the bottles in the sodium perc solution and leaving then rinsing. Doesn't mention re-using. The water, hydrogen peroxide and sodium carbonate mix shouldn't reverse the cleaning soak of the initial sodium perc mix.

I am usually lazy and just leave the bottles/fermenter full with the sodium perc and water, then rinse and sanitise when required later. Although when doing a new clean a fresh sodium perc/water solution gets put in.

Latest posts

Back