Leaking font?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullyhc

Reaction score
Hi guys,
This might not be the place to ask, and is probably a really dumb question, but whenever I take one of my taps off, beer sprays out everywhere. My question is... can it be easily fixed (like replacing a seal) or does the whole font need to be replaced?
The thing is, it's in a commercial bar, and the (semi-retired) cellarman is on long service leave. I have been placed in charge of doing all the cellar work, but I get a beer shower whenever I try to remove the taps for cleaning/ maintenance purposes. It's only on the one tap, all the rest are fine.
So what happens is I remove the tap and it sprays out everywhere from the inside of the snaplok bit. It has done this for as long as I have worked there, and our Licencee won't let us call in a repairman as it doesn't leak at all when the tap is on, so he thinks it's not a problem. If it's just a case of changing an o-ring or something, surely I could fix it. But I would have to waste a fair bit of beer to pull it apart, and that would be a huge no-no if the leak couldn't be fixed.
Sorry if I sound like I don't know what I'm talking about, cause I don't! I just don't want another shower when I clean the lines tomorrow morning.

Not that I can assist, but what sort of tap is it? May help with people problem shooting for you.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding part of the problem, but as an intermediate solution to having excessive beer spray out, could you disengage the keg coupler for that tap when doing cleaning/maintenance? (Unless you're already doing this and you're talking about beer from the residual pressure in the line).

tallie said:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding part of the problem, but as an intermediate solution to having excessive beer spray out, could you disengage the keg coupler for that tap when doing cleaning/maintenance? (Unless you're already doing this and you're talking about beer from the residual pressure in the line).
Yep, still spraying out after the coupler is disengaged. It's just frustrating, as getting soaked in beer is the last thing I feel like doing at 5.30am! Especially on cold mornings :/
It's a brumby tap with a snaplok adapter (not sure if this is 100% correct, but I asked my manager this morning)
Could it be that the snaplok just needs a new rubber seal? Some of the others look a bit worn (but not leaking), I have a box full of spare parts, o rings etc... should they be replaced? Or am I just wasting my time and a boatload of beer?
Apparently, our cellarman has told the managers that it's the font and it can't be fixed, but I seriously doubt he's even looked at it as I have been cleaning and maintaining the taps for over 5 years, and even had to show him how to pull the taps apart and put them back together. Great. Now I'm just bitching lol
On the upside, I do get a free (and very frothy) beer every time I do it. Just a shame it's a Hahn Light!

Latest posts

Back