Lcpa Extract Recipe Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murdoch

Reaction score
I`ve been roughing up a LCPA style Pale Ale recipe
Done the searches & read a fair bit about clones, ingredients etc...
Cant really find a reference to what IBU LCPA is ............ I`ve taken a guess at about 30 ?

This is what I`ve come up with so far but its still a work in progress & any advice is appreciated

50L batch
1.5kg Pale Malt
1.5kg Wheat Malt
500gm steeped Crystal (not sure what grade, maybe a mix of light & medium?)
1.5kg Light Dried Malt
1.5kg Dextrose

EKG @ 60 minutes 9.58 IBU
Cascade @ 60 minutes 5.22 IBU
Cascade @ 20 minutes 2.11 IBU
Chinook @ 20 minutes 1.74 IBU
Cascade @ 15 minutes 1.73 IBU
Chinook @ 15 minutes 2.85 IBU
Cascade @ 10 minutes 1.26 IBU
Chinook @ 10 minutes 2.07 IBU
Cascade @ 5 minutes 1.38 IBU
Chinook @ 5 minutes 2.28 IBU

Total IBU 30.22

Possible dry hopping ?

Thanks for that donburke
I had read that in the past as well
Wow, 48 IBU .......
To me LCPA didn't taste anywhere near that bitter ?
Yes, a shiteload of hops flavor, but I didn't think the bittering component was that much ?
But I`m quite open to upping the IBU somewhat
What I did get from that recipe is to maybe swap the 60 min Cascade to a 60 min Chinook addition ?

Perhaps a 50 litre batch @ 48 IBU could do with a little more than 500g of speciality malt to balance it out, giving it a lesser perceived bitterness.

Hey Murdoch

From the horses mouth...

"We use pale malt, wheat malt, light crystal (caramalt) and some munich malt. Bitterness is around 38IBU with a good deal of that coming from the late hop additions. We use hop flowers for the late hopping, but you can adapt with pellets. For late hopping we are using US Cascade and Galaxy (grown in Victoria). We used to use US Chinook, but I have swapped as of about a year ago to Galaxy as I thought it was just as good, if not better."

Cheers
clatty

Cheers clatty :icon_chickcheers:
Great info & gives me a good idea on how to modify my original "draft" recipe

Perhaps a 50 litre batch @ 48 IBU could do with a little more than 500g of speciality malt to balance it out, giving it a lesser perceived bitterness.

So if I was going to aim for 38 IBU as per clattys tip would you still be tempted to use more than 500gm of Light Crystal in a 50l batch ?
Say 750gms ?
Also considering upping the light dried malt to 1.75 kg .....

Back