Lavender in mead/beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knot_gillty

Reaction score
G'day all, I'm tossing up doing a lavender mead. Got 20lt of traditional going at the moment and will rack and spice in the next few weeks. My question is, has anyone here used lavender in beer or mead before? If so, I'm chasing quantities. How much do I run with in a 2lt secondary? I only want to do a small 1-2lt batch of it in case it tastes like soap or some shit... Any info would be sweet!

Hoping the brew will be around the 12.5%ish too if that helps... Not sure why it would!..

I do believe it is a specific variety of lavender which is used in jam making, dont know if it is a less intensive oil in the edible one.What about using a lavender honey?

I do believe it is a specific variety of lavender which is used in jam making, dont know if it is a less intensive oil in the edible one.What about using a lavender honey?

There's a few lavender growers around my area so I'm confident at least one will have a variety for use. They'll have more knowledge than me so I'll take what they say to use I suppose.

Personally I think I would pass, have tasted Lavender Lager - underwhelmed. Just don't find Lavender works, mind you Strawberries (as much as I like them) rarely work in mead, raspberries, blackberries blueberries... can all work well but not strawberries in my experience.
Try a small amount of Lavender soaked in some sherry, only about $5/bottle at Aldi - should give you a fair idea of the sort of flavours you could expect.
Mark

Watcha goner call it Ode De Unmentionables?
m

Never eaten it manticle. I do like the smell and have heard mainly positives about it in a beverage and some foods.
I'd make certain. I've had it in icecream and I think it belongs nowhere near food.

Don't ruin your batch - make sure with a tester.

Cheers guys. MHB, I'll try it with sherry as you suggest. This is why I was only looking at doing a litre or so. Didn't want to ruin a full batch. I've heard good things about a blackberry lavender mead.

I've done a monetary and lavender mead. I like it. It has a slightly medicinal taste to it which may or may not be to your liking.

Does the lavender feminist over time?
I'm going to assume that's a really bad auto-correct of "diminish"!

Food products use English lavender. French and Spanish lavender are more heat tolerant so they are the ones you will typically find in australian gardens. These Mediterranean varieties aren't much good in food because they will contribute a strong camphor aroma and you'll end up with moth-ball mead.

You can still find the English version around, but chances are that it's not the one growing next to your hills hoist.

How much lavender and mulberry did you use in how much mead? Does the lavender feminist over time? If not I might use a slightly less amount. I'm only after a "hint" of lavender.
It was 560g mulberries, 36 g lavender blossoms and 1 kg of honey in a 4.5 L batch. I would probably at least halve the fruit and flower content if I did it again.

Back