Lauter Helix.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished today's brew day, never fails to amaze how that helix works.
005.JPG

Cheers
Just read through the whole thread. Was thinking of using the helix in place of my pick up tube but on reading the thread I might rethink.
I am using a 1 vessel recirculation system. I then chill with an immersion chiller, whirlpool, rest for 45 mins to let settle, then gravity feed into the fermenter.
It seems people who chill in the kettle seem to have flow problems with the cold break.
Is that how you read it?

Cheers
Just read through the whole thread. Was thinking of using the helix in place of my pick up tube but on reading the thread I might rethink.
I am using a 1 vessel recirculation system. I then chill with an immersion chiller, whirlpool, rest for 45 mins to let settle, then gravity feed into the fermenter.
It seems people who chill in the kettle seem to have flow problems with the cold break.
Is that how you read it?
I'd agree. I've used the helix about a dozen times and only had it drain easily once. I chill with the immersion chiller in the guten.

I got one from kegland. It's not as magical as I expected. You can mash it around when it's blocked but I get heaps of trub in the last cube anyway.

I chill in my guten with an immersion chiller and also whirlpool with the pump whilst chilling. I then drain via the helix to my fermenter and have had no issues so far. But I do use the hop spider.

I chill in my guten with an immersion chiller and also whirlpool with the pump whilst chilling. I then drain via the helix to my fermenter and have had no issues so far. But I do use the hop spider.
I tried the whirlpool on my last brew the pump got clogged I do have a spare pump which I have used before coming straight from the tap. Also my last brew I got some trub into the fermenter because my pick up tube had dropped down, now I have put a helix coil the full circumference of the Guten which will also prevent my pick up tube from dropping. I will have to do two brews now, one with the dam and one with the whirlpool and helix.
003.JPG

That's a good idea, I actually know someone who did that when he didn't know how to set it up, one of the first ones I sold. He has a large kettle so joined 2 together. He said it worked, all the trub got trapped in the centre after whirlpooling.

Obviously this only works if you are using pellets, I think you might have issues if you mix pellet and leaf, or a lot of leaf.

But I have always found that a whirlpool post flame out will deposit my trub and hops in a neat pile in the centre of my kettle, and if I am careful with how I draw it off, this remains undisturbed. A trub dam could work very well at encouraging this pile to stay where it is.

Obviously this only works if you are using pellets, I think you might have issues if you mix pellet and leaf, or a lot of leaf.

But I have always found that a whirlpool post flame out will deposit my trub and hops in a neat pile in the centre of my kettle, and if I am careful with how I draw it off, this remains undisturbed. A trub dam could work very well at encouraging this pile to stay where it is.
That is what I think will happen, I also have a reducer to 8 mm in the pick up so there is less suction.

This is how I have mine setup. So it seems to dam everything in the middle.

48131065292_e0479bfffc_k.jpg
Truman, do you chill or not? I’m trying to find solutions to the helix continually blocking. It’s a PITA. If anyone chills and has a pain free way to transfer out to the fermenter, please yell out.

Truman, do you chill or not? I’m trying to find solutions to the helix continually blocking. It’s a PITA. If anyone chills and has a pain free way to transfer out to the fermenter, please yell out.
I do both and so far havent had a problem draining via the Helix but I do use a hop spider.

Back