Lauter Helix.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't be that person who blames the product for user error.
Sorry for contributing to the conversation without seeking your blessing. Perhaps you could share your infinite wisdom on the subject with a wiki analysis on kettle filtering methods?

Mattias himself said similar
He did too, it was really designed for a mash tun only.

Dude, you just can’t help yourself, can you?... again with the unnecessary Kegland slagging... give it a rinse already.

Just because it looks like misleading or deceptive conduct to you personally, does not make it so at law. Any first-year student could tell you that.
They wouldn't get any trouble from me if they stayed in the Keg Land thread, its when they set up the bogus accounts, so they can muddy the waters or promote in other threads.

Sorry for contributing to the conversation without seeking your blessing. Perhaps you could share your infinite wisdom on the subject with a wiki analysis on kettle filtering methods?

Just pointing out that your overarching point of 'this thing doesn't work and is crap' was incorrect, simply due to you using the item incorrectly.
A useful addition to the conversation would have been 'it doesn't work with the way that I used it'. It does work well, it just has a few nuances like most equipment does. No need to throw the baby out with the bathwater

I think it comes down to what system it's employed on. I didn't have any luck with it which I think is because I'm drawing through it during recirculation. The recirc was working fine but the drop into the cube didn't go so well. Pity, like the idea, but doesn't seem to work well in this particular application. But no doubt works lovely in other applications.

Just pointing out that your overarching point of 'this thing doesn't work and is crap' was incorrect, simply due to you using the item incorrectly.
A useful addition to the conversation would have been 'it doesn't work with the way that I used it'. It does work well, it just has a few nuances like most equipment does. No need to throw the baby out with the bathwater
I think we'd all be better off if you took some of your own advice and added something useful to the conversation instead of presenting your own narrow opinions as some sort of undeniable fact.

I've offered my experience using this piece of equipment on 3 different setups now, for the purpose of informing others who are considering it now it is more easily available through retail outlets. As an early adopter there wasn't much by way of advice on these before mine arrived.

The point of this community is to share information and experiences to inform others, and hopefully help them make informed decisions like "is this thing definitely going to work or is there something I need to consider about the brew rig I put it in?".

Oh FFS it's a spring. Just have a look at it
The smaller the diameter of the vessel the more open the outside of the coils will be and the easier it will flow
I originally got mine from WEAL for my Braumeister and it worked well ( other than a pain in the arse to fit due to it being the same size as the distance between the element and the side of the kettle)
I put it in a 50L kettle and it did not perform as well due to the larger diameter of the pot, so I don't use it in that pot. (don't boil in the Brau any more but that is a different story)

I think for the record it should be stated that it works fine in a 'no chill' situation. If chilling it can be hit and miss, with miss being the most operative word. A larger dia kettle would benefit from a heavier gauge wire so as it curves around the coil will open up just enough to let the wort out and keep the debris in.
010.JPG This is all I collected running the wort through a 500 micron hop sock
012.JPG The final runnings with the hot break now cooling

Attachments

• 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    525.1 KB · Views: 185
The point of this community is to share information and experiences to inform others, and hopefully help them make informed decisions like "is this thing definitely going to work or is there something I need to consider about the brew rig I put it in?".

Which is exactly what I have said..."It does work well, it just has a few nuances like most equipment does" - these nuances have been elaborated on above.
Either way, we'll just agree to disagree

They wouldn't get any trouble from me if they stayed in the Keg Land thread, its when they set up the bogus accounts, so they can muddy the waters or promote in other threads.
Even when they do keep to their thread it seems they can't escape your incessant shit-slinging. Ironic too you're dragging their name through the dirt yet again in an also unrelated thread.
Point out these 'bogus accounts to me' if you could please? since being transparent and direct is of evident high value to you, I imagine you could do so easily. Oh, and also any affiliations should you have them.

Its no wonder they have a picture of a monkey on their Brew Doctor pH meter.

You realise that it's a picture of a doctor on their 'beverage doctor' Ph meters, right?

Constructive criticism has its place, but yours can hardly be deemed so.

@wide eyed and legless @goatchop41 @fdsaasdf @nathanvonbeerenstein
This is a forum guys and this thread is about lauter helixes.

Stop with the character assassination and just add to the info including your personal experiences.

Is WEAL biased? hell yeah! Does WEAL often give out useful info - yep
Same goes for goatchop.and most likely the others mentioned.

Do Kegland abuse their sponsor status - I think so, absolutely
Do they provide decent gear at great prices - absolutely
Do they stretch the truth sometimes?
Cheaper pH meters only have single or double point calibration. For brewing we often operate over a large range right down to 2.5 for testing sanitiser solution and high up for alkiline cleaners. We also need the pH meter to be accurate at the mid range for brewing. As a result we have got triple point calibration.
Well my $12 Chinese pH meter has 3 point calibration and seems accurate compared to test strips.
And all the products they "designed" perhaps selected would be more appropriate.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Waterpr...=item3b19b8fe5f:g:yAwAAOSwtQZbg-cd:rk:26:pf:0
Look familiar?

Will I still buy Keglands pH meter when my crappy one dies - probably as I can't afford one of the really good ones.

I'm just saying information over POV although this whole post is my own POV.

Back to the helix - works for me doing no chill but I can see in larger diameter vessels and for those who chill it may not be the ideal choice.

Are they easy to clean?
Not sure if you can just run solution through them or if you should pull it off and scrub each time.

Are they easy to clean?
Not sure if you can just run solution through them or if you should pull it off and scrub each time.
Well I just pump Percarb through it by attaching the top arm to the bottom valve with silicone tube for a while.
I tip the dirty stuff out manually, do another percarb wash normally and let that drain out through the helix and valve.

Honestly don't know if that's a good way but works so far.

So I’m thinking about purchasing a helix, here’s my brew gear:
-40L crown urn concealed element
-BIAB
-recirc with ball valve
-whirfloc at 15min
-whirlpool
-no chill

The questions that I can’t seem to find an answer too:

How do these go with recirculating?
How does BIAB/whirfloc affect the recirc/draining to cube if at all?
Is a whirlpool still required or recommended with the helix?

Thanks all [emoji16][emoji482]

1) I can't comment, as my recirc goes through a separate outlet, not through the helix.

2) It doesn't, if anything the whirlfloc should help the helix as the bigger protein clumps will sit around the helix and act as a filter for the finer proteins and gunk

3) I haven't really tried it without a whirlpool, I always do one with it and end up with a great cone resting in the middle of the kettle, so I recommend it based on that. Might not be necessary, but I'm not sure

So I’m thinking about purchasing a helix, here’s my brew gear:
-40L crown urn concealed element
-BIAB
-recirc with ball valve
-whirfloc at 15min
-whirlpool
-no chill

The questions that I can’t seem to find an answer too:

Thanks all [emoji16][emoji482]
Others have posted on here about recirculating through the ball valve, yes it works but make sure you vent the helix before starting the pump, whirfloc does not present any problems, I have discharged the wort with and without a whirlpool without any noticeable difference, I believe I may have put up a photo of a no whirpool drain. The hop matter will not block the helix, as I have mentioned in a couple of posts I believe it to be the hot break starting to coagulate as it cools which blocks the helix. No chill is fine.

Yes just turn on the tap and 'Let it bleed' Do it at the start and pour it back in and prior to taking pre boil gravity run about 2 or 3 litres through it, and tip back in otherwise you will be measuring the gravity of the contents of the helix. You will see the difference in the colour of the first drop which comes out, it will be very pale because it hasn't been involved with any recirculating.

Yes just turn on the tap and 'Let it bleed' Do it at the start and pour it back in and prior to taking pre boil gravity run about 2 or 3 litres through it, and tip back in otherwise you will be measuring the gravity of the contents of the helix. You will see the difference in the colour of the first drop which comes out, it will be very pale because it hasn't been involved with any recirculating.
Cheers for the explanations, cant wait to get one!

Latest posts

Back