Lauter Helix.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had some shitful issues with the helix not flowing when I was trying to drain to my cube for two brew days, even though it worked fine when taking a gravity sample after the mash.
I had a read through this thread and this time I made sure that I vented it as I filled the kettle, and only opened halfway when taking gravity samples. Once I came to drain in to the cube, I opened halfway, then full, and it was fine. Thank god too, because it's a real hassle to pry it open and try to get it flowing when it stops and fills with air. Even worse when you get it flowing, then it stops again!
20181202_151128.jpeg

Weal had you still got these for sale mate.
Sorry no, Keg King has them though, they only had 3 or 4 left when I was in there last though they do have more on the way. I have been playing around with the Felix, a shorter version for the fermenter, been trying it out on water, yet to try it on beer.

Weal had you still got these for sale mate.

I have one I bought from wide eyed and legless mate, never been used. Happy to pass it on to you at a discounted price.
Sent you a message.

Batz

I spoke to the guys at KegLand and they said that these done seem to work as well as a conventional false bottom and they can easily block but they did say that were getting some in because customers were asking for them. The price seems to be a bit cheaper here:

https://www.kegland.com.au/helix-coil-and-tee.html

It also looks like better value as they have the stainless elbow included. So i dont know what to think now. Is it wort getting one of these or do they just block. Even at the cheaper price I am not sure if it's worth going this direction.

I spoke to the guys at KegLand and they said that these done seem to work as well as a conventional false bottom and they can easily block but they did say that were getting some in because customers were asking for them. The price seems to be a bit cheaper here:

It also looks like better value as they have the stainless elbow included. So i dont know what to think now. Is it wort getting one of these or do they just block. Even at the cheaper price I am not sure if it's worth going this direction.

That's bullshit about them blocking 'easily', that's only if you don't use it properly.
They can fill with air and stop flowing if you don't vent the tap initially, and can block if open the tap on full blast straight away after the boil, but even then they're fine most of the time. They keep more crap out than a false bottom - especially when you're talking about draining through a tap on a setup like a Guten - you'd need a high false bottom to get above the tap, or the tap would need a pickup tube that goes under the false bottom.

The helix works great. You just have to vent the tap when you're first filling your kettle/mash tun (keep the tap open as you fill with water, have a bucket under it to catch the water as it starts to come out then close the tap), then when you open the tap after the boil to drain, make sure that you slowly open to halfway, let it flow for a little bit, then you can open fully. Just don't open it full blast straight away

That's bullshit about them blocking 'easily', that's only if you don't use it properly.
They can fill with air and stop flowing if you don't vent the tap initially, and can block if open the tap on full blast straight away after the boil, but even then they're fine most of the time. They keep more crap out than a false bottom - especially when you're talking about draining through a tap on a setup like a Guten - you'd need a high false bottom to get above the tap, or the tap would need a pickup tube that goes under the false bottom.

The helix works great. You just have to vent the tap when you're first filling your kettle/mash tun (keep the tap open as you fill with water, have a bucket under it to catch the water as it starts to come out then close the tap), then when you open the tap after the boil to drain, make sure that you slowly open to halfway, let it flow for a little bit, then you can open fully. Just don't open it full blast straight away
it isn’t bullshit, they can block easily, especially if you use a wide diameter kettle. I stopped using mine on my 82L pot as it continually blocked regardless of any venting.

They work better on a small urn and ok on the robobrew 65L. BTW the Robo65 comes with an additional false bottom above the tap which does a great job of straining sediment off the liquid going to the tap and pump inlet.

KL’s price is a bargain. I paid something like $55 posted from weal for 2.

it isn’t bullshit, they can block easily, especially if you use a wide diameter kettle. I stopped using mine on my 82L pot as it continually blocked regardless of any venting.

They work better on a small urn and ok on the robobrew 65L. BTW the Robo65 comes with an additional false bottom above the tap which does a great job of straining sediment off the liquid going to the tap and pump inlet.

KL’s price is a bargain. I paid something like $55 posted from weal for 2.

Don't be that person who blames the product for user error.

I use one of these in the Guten and while it's true they probably block easily and a false bottom is likely better.
It's also true I haven't had an issue with mine blocking yet (touch wood).

That KL price is ridiculously cheap, but of course they are out of stock.
Those guys are too popular for their own good :)

False bottom doesn't have any of those quirks, easy choice for me.

It also looks like better value as they have the stainless elbow included. So i dont know what to think now. Is it wort getting one of these or do they just block. Even at the cheaper price I am not sure if it's worth going this direction.[/QUOTE]

To me it looks like misleading advertising, which there are consumer laws to abide by. The item has never been in stock so why advertise something before it comes in stock? Same thing with the poppet PRV which never came into fruition.
Its no wonder they have a picture of a monkey on their Brew Doctor pH meter.

I tried a helix on my grainfather and up until you start the chilling process through the CFC they work ok but block as soon as you chill (I also use whirlfloc)they are about as useless as an ashtray on a motor bike. I persisted for about 6 brews trying different things but went back to the grainfather filter and that works far better.

It is as I said earlier, 'no chill' no problem, chill and the helix is full of cold break, the spring has to be opened to force the break out of the tap, once it is out it will drain, but it is ideal for the 'no chill'

To me it looks like misleading advertising, which there are consumer laws to abide by. The item has never been in stock so why advertise something before it comes in stock? Same thing with the poppet PRV which never came into fruition.
Its no wonder they have a picture of a monkey on their Brew Doctor pH meter.

Dude, you just can’t help yourself, can you?... again with the unnecessary Kegland slagging... give it a rinse already.

Just because it looks like misleading or deceptive conduct to you personally, does not make it so at law. Any first-year student could tell you that.

Back