Late Hopped Apa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balconybrewer

Reaction score
hi all,
recently i mis purchased some NS hop flowers and would like to use them all up in a single batch, seeings they are like 12%AA i figure i need to do alot of late hopping.

i seem to recall experiments of this nature taking place but cant seem to dig up any info, below is what i am thinking and am choosing to go with extract tins as i have nothing on tap at the moment and no time to mash one out.

any tips of feedback on similar recipes would be appreciated, basically the recipe will follow

23lts
1 can 1.5kg wheat LME
1 can 1.5kg light LME
500g LDME
20g NS @20mins
10g CASCADE @20mins
25g NS @10mins
10g CASCADE @10mins
25g NS @2mins

will boil about 5lts, add LDME and then hops, top up to about 23lts
pitched onto US05 yeast cake from a smurtos golden ale

I have a suggestion of downloading Ianh's spread sheet for extract and K&K recipes (if you do not have it)

Search - spreadsheet and look for Ian's thread and get it.

You can put in the liquid extracts and hops, steepable grains if used and also adjust the hop AA% to get the required bitterness for the style being brewed. Along with boil volume adjustment telling you what amount of malt to add to the boil to get the best hop efficiency for the amount used.

This takes a lot of the guess work out of whats needed in the bitterness and amounts and also great for playing around designing new recipes

hope this helps

Cheers Coops :icon_cheers:

You are going to have some shocking hop utilisation if you boil all that malt in just 5 litres. You'd be better off going for 100g LDME for every litre and just add the rest with about 10 mins left on the boil, or just boil the rest seperatly.

I dont have beersmith etc but just looking at it I reckon 20g NS for 20 mins aint gunna get you anywhere near the bitterness required for an APA with the various malts you have.

a few odd post amoungst the replies, 100g x 5 lts is 500gms..........?

bitterness isnt a prob, can cal in beersmith, was after replies from people who have tried what i want to do.........

anyone out their tried this????

Latest posts

Back