Last time I take her advice?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack'sTavern

Reaction score
So I was putting on my brew last night, Doing a coopers celebration ale clone from their website.

1 can Thomas Coopers Draught
1 can Amber malt extract
500g Dextrose

After 3 days to add 25g Nelson Sauvin and Centennial.
Reccomended to use American Ale yeast, so the guy in the brew store said that US-05 should do it.

So I was cleaning my FV etc etc. Mrs says, "are you going to re-hydrate the yeast" and I thought yeah, can't hurt. She said to do it in water about 35-40, because thats what happens with baking....

Before I thought about it BANG in the yeast goes.... now, thats probably a bit warm for the yeast, isn't it.... they were in there for about 20 mins.

I pitched it anyway, after 24 hours, not a sign of anything going on, no foam/bubbles at all.

I was thinking about re pitching with the kit yeast, but it may not deal with the OG of 1.050?

As I see it my options are

a. do nothing and hope for the best.
b. fresh batch of us-05 (which will mean waiting till Monday afternoon and that would be 72 hours in.
c. pitch the kit yeast and hope for the best.

I have a fridge I use to ferment in, controlled by a BrewPi, so I have it at 16, working its way to 20 over 10 days.

I realise questions come thick and fast from us beginners, so thankyou in advance!

Dont panic, dry yeast should be rehyrated in 35-41c water. I usually sanitise a jar (jam jar), boil some water in the kitchen kettle and 3/4 fill the jar. Next the jar goes into cold water bath in the sink with some of those blue freezer blocks. I pop a sanitised thermometer into it and cover it as best as possible with some tin foil while i wait till it drops to the range posted above. While you are waiting for the temp to drop you can be doing other things if you need. Once the temp drops into range you can sprinkle your yeast on the top of the water in the jar and loosely place the sanitised lid on top. Every now and then you can jiggle it a bit to promote more of the yeast to get wet. Try to get all if this done early enough that by the time you are ready to pitch it into the wort it is down to the same temp as the wort and ideally the temp that you wish to start the ferment.

Next
when im ready to pitch and I have aerated the wort in the FV I tighten the lid on the jar and shake it to mix and aerate the yeast, then it gets poured around in top of the wort, sealled up and into the fermentation fridge with heat belt and temp probe attached.

Ok, thanks Dazz.

I thought that because it was brewers yeast it would be different.

Thanks for your advice,

From what I have read everyone seems to panic when they are starting one out. There are many posts similar to mine, although I couldn't find one where the yeast were started in the same fashion as mine.

From your experience, what should I expect FG to be?

Oh and another note, get to know the mr malty pitching rate calculator, the amount of yeast you need to use is dependant on the type; ale vs lager, volume and og.

Yes I worried a little bit too when I first started to take my brewing seriously. Unfortunately back when I was doing kits it was just to save money and I never bothered to test for og and rarely fg so I cant help you with that sorry.
As mentioned before dont panic just yet it will most likely be fine.

Thanks Rob,

I did manage to find that, however that lists the starter temp at 27 +-3 which is a bit cooler than my 35-40 hence my concern

Yep, just figured you might want to read up before the next brew day.
I keep a few packets of us05 in the fridge for emergency situations, might be worth considering as is never fun to feed the lawn

Pitty the phone app don't show location have a few fresh 05 in the fridge and I hate to see s good brew die or go to waste. If your close to Emu Plains Sydney don't ne shy pm me.

Fermentis recommends that top fermenting (ale) yeasts are rehydrated at a temperature between 25-29°C (77-84°F) and that bottom fermenting yeasts (lager) are rehydrated at a temperature range of 21-25°C (69-77°F).

New yeast required I'd guess. If in doubt look here.

Ok so still nothing this morning.... pitched the kit yeast.... and now theres some decent head happening....

fingers crossed...

Yeast will easly handle water up to 40*c. In fact the higher the temp with yeast, the faster it works.

When we are brewing, we are deliberately keeping it cool to slow it down

If you got the wort to 35* that thing would ferment out quicker than a nun rolling down a hill.

Mind you, it does taste pretty funky, I know this from bitter experience. I new these blokes who used get the ferment done in about 3 days over summer. 3-4 days in the bottle....BBAAMM....beer in 7 days flat.....sometimes 6.... :ph34r:

I fermented one in 3 days over summer... it was at 28.... tasted mega funky, although now its had a few months in bottles id call it palatable.

this batch is working along at 16... so yeah should be a bit slower... anyway.... we will see how it looks in about a week or so.

I should really put a lock on the fridge, so i cant keep opening to check it out...

I would suggest you didn't need to pitch the second yeast.
I don't think uso5 will take off very quickly at 16 deg and would probably be a couple of days before you saw any action.

I doubt 35-40deg would have killed the yeast but pitching it 16deg wort may have been a bit of a shock to their system.

Maybe next time just pitch dry at 18. :ph34r: (or rehydrate per manufacturer's instructions)

pcmfisher said:
I don't think uso5 will take off very quickly at 16 deg and would probably be a couple of days before you saw any action.

I doubt 35-40deg would have killed the yeast but pitching it 16deg wort may have been a bit of a shock to their system.

Maybe next time just pitch dry at 18. :ph34r: (or rehydrate per manufacturer's instructions)
Agree on all counts, and I'll add that with that combination of high hydration temp, fairly low pitching temp (what I use with 05) AND a fairly large amount of total fermentables, I'd be surprised if there weren't a long lag. If the temp readings were accurate, be patient, J.T., and the yeasties will come. Next time rehydrate lower or take a look at rival Danstar's instructions for rehydration and pitching, involving attemperation; few do that, but it does stretch your starting count of healthy yeast cells..

pcmfisher said:
I don't think uso5 will take off very quickly at 16 deg and would probably be a couple of days before you saw at 18)
Out of interest, I did up an extract US brown yesterday , used rehydrated US05, pitched at 15, had nice foam formed 15 hours later, checked it again this arvo, 26 hours after pitch and its pumping

You still haven't mentioned if you areated the wort before you pitched the yeast, this should be more than just a vigorous pour into the fermenter.

I certainly have no problem with us05 using the procedure i posted above, (pitching at 18c) in fact I recently won the Ale category and came very close to best of show at the recent Hunter United Brewers/Newcastle show comp.

I dont see much action at 24hrs with us05 either (using correct pitching rates from the mr malty site) that is to be expected as its the growth stage for the yeast not the fermentation stage.

Latest posts

Back