Lagering - How many people lager their beers?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trustyrusty

Reaction score
Hi I found a beer in the fridge that I was going to chuck out.... did not think it was any good..but it must have been in the fridge for months....I opened and I was quite surprised it was drinkable and much improved. It seemed to have lost a lot of background bitterness....

I was doing a bit of reading and makes sense... (Even reading that you could improve a commercial beer leaving in the fridge for awhile)

Got me thinking, maybe I should lager all my beers..... How many people lager their beers...?

How long - I hear a month? Does is make a vast difference..... I am talking from the point of view from kits but I guess it will be the same for all

beers....

cheers

If you are talking kits then absolutely a month will do it the world of good. Not trying to be an all grain snob but kit beers will tend to have some undesirable flavors especially if you don't have all the specialized equipment like a fermenting fridge. But these flavors will generally disappear given enough time. My dad's cooper's lager kit fermented without temp control in far north Queensland tastes clean and refreshing after 2 months in the bottle and served very cold.

The downside is it won't be great for styles where you want a big hop aroma or yeast character like a German wheat beer as these beers are best drunk fresh.

But for everything else, well, time heals all home brew!

Coodgee said:
My dad's cooper's lager kit fermented without temp control in far north Queensland tastes clean and refreshing after 2 months in the bottle and served very cold.
Thanks

Are you taking about in the fridge lagering or just bottle conditioning....I would assume you would have to bottle condition and then lager?

cheers

All of my beers lager

... in my keg fridge, while they carbonate and get drunk.

Some beers are 2 months lagered by the time they're empty :lol: :lol: :lol:

Trustyrusty said:
Thanks

Are you taking about in the fridge lagering or just bottle conditioning....I would assume you would have to bottle condition and then lager?

cheers
He just stores them at room temp but after they are fully carbonated the fridge would probably be best for conditioning

Thanks @wort jockey you carbonate and lager in the fridge at the same time, I thought the cold would slow the yeast for carbonation,....
and do you think this improves the end results...

thanks

He's talking about kegged beer carbonated with a tank of co2. People call this forced carbonation but i don't know about any other method where the beer is free to carbonate of its volition.

Trustyrusty said:
Hi I found a beer in the fridge that I was going to chuck out.... did not think it was any good..but it must have been in the fridge for months....I opened and I was quite surprised it was drinkable and much improved. It seemed to have lost a lot of background bitterness....

I was doing a bit of reading and makes sense... (Even reading that you could improve a commercial beer leaving in the fridge for awhile)

Got me thinking, maybe I should lager all my beers..... How many people lager their beers...?

How long - I hear a month? Does is make a vast difference..... I am talking from the point of view from kits but I guess it will be the same for all

beers....
Trustyrusty,
There is a difference between lagering and placing a bottle in the fridge for conditioning. You are right though with the yeast not carbonating (or in the case of lager yeast very slow to carbonate) under cold temps in the bottle. Generally lagering is done prior to bottling. Once bottling takes place, the temp is allowed to rise to brewing temps or higher for two weeks or so, enabling the yeast a better environment to produce carbonation than at cold temps.

Your description of a mellowing of the bitterness in the beer would happen at normal room temps over a period of months anyway. Being in the fridge at cold temps would probably slow this process somewhat, but either way months of storage will mellow and change the flavour profiles and that process is not dependant on yeast being present in the brew. Commercial beers also do this. I once had a carton of Oettinger pils that had been stored for 3 years at room temp and was 2 years past its best before date. It had a much maltier flavour than the 'in date' ones and had lost much of the bitterness that a fresh beer has to balance out the malt.

Traditional lagering is done to assist in obtaining clarity, during the period the yeast is allowed to condition the beer. Some English authors on the subject prefer the term 'cold conditioning' as opposed to 'lagering' as it is more descriptive and has no reference to what the English speaking countries have termed Lager beers as a type. This is important as Ales can be cold conditioned and many are.

Bottle conditioning is different from 'Lagering'. It can be done in the fridge at cold temps, but the benefits are not the same as traditional 'Lagering'.

For info;

'Lager beer' is an Anglicised term from the German word Largern which means "to store" and is related to the English word "larder" (ie large pantry or room to store food etc). In German, to 'lager' something does not mean cold storage, but in brewing terms, because of German traditional methods of storing in cold caves or cellars, this is how its meaning was taken when Anglicised. The Germans don't call "Gelagerte" beers 'Lager(s)' as this doesn't make much sense to them (It would be like us refering to the beers in short as "Stored" beers). Most Lager beers in Germany are refered to by their type (ie Pils/Pilsner, Export, Helles, Bock, Schwarzbier, Kellerbier etc) even though they are all lager beers (or cold conditioned). "Kalt gelagerte bier" (cold conditioned) beer is an expression that would make sense to a German to describe the method used in conditioning the beer prior to bottling. This usually takes place in a "fass" (traditionally barrel, but today a large s/s vessels would be used) for weeks or months depending on the beer type. This lagering period is traditionally done prior to filtering and bottling/kegging.

Any cold storage after bottling/kegging is not considered to be 'Lagering' in English terms anyway.

Yes I do, when the brewery is in full operation (sadly at the mo' it's a very simplified setup) from the ferment to the cube for a month at 2 deg..

All lagers benifit.

I cold-store all beers after bottling, including ales. Whether or not it improves a beer, refrigeration does seem to slow deterioration, esp in low abv brews. But deterioration is not a problem in all beers, and many brewers keep beers in a closet for a year or more, with good results.

Different beers improve over different lengths of time. A dark lager of mine has improved for seven months, while a hefe went fast downhill after three weeks as characteristic flavours other than clove declined If you like very bitter AIPA's the bite eases a little over time. Surprisingly, my recent American wheat well-hopped with Motueka and Mandarinais is still improving 2 months after bottling.

Malty strong ales and abbey ales are customarily aged in cool conditions, not lagered. Someone who brews them might be able to comment.

What sort was the beer you mentioned?

Ok sounds like great advice will have a go when I get home from night shift
Might have a wheat beer with my wheat bix :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang:

Latest posts

Back