Lager Yeast Stalled

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AntCoop

Reaction score
Hi all.

I have put down a Morgan Cortez Cerveza 13 days ago and the gravity has stalled from 1038 - 1020 after the last 3 days.

I have given the wort a swirl with the spoon to re suspend the yeast to try and get it to kick in again with the tempmate set a few degrees higher than 12 degrees it was originally set at...now at 14 degrees. Yeast was pitched at 18 degrees then put into fridge and down to 12 in about 5-6 hours, then very slow bubbling into the blow off tube in a coke bottle in the door about 48 hours after being pitched (dry pitched)

The Yeast supplied is brew craft european lager yeast which I think is S-23.

I am thinking about racking the wort to another fermenter and maybe getting some more yeast tomorrow and pitching this if this is the correct strain (s-23)

I have not done a true lager before, and I know it ferments a lot slower. The Krausen was pretty much no existant on the top compared to an ale yeast.

Do you think racking and pitching more yeast would be the go?

All advice appeciated.

Cheers Coops :icon_chickcheers:

Forgot to add.

300g liquid coopers ND malt

500g Dextrose

250g Maltodextrin added so the fermentables are there to get it a lot lower.

Cheers Coops

my 2c...
And i'm sure somone will disagree with me...lol
um...i bet the yeast supplied with the kit was "kit" yeast and more suited to a higher ferment than real lager yeast , be they dried or liquid...
I'm currently enjoying my 3rd AG which was a lager fermented at similar temp's to yours although pitching temp was 12 deg and it was kept at 10 degree for 2 weeks( before racking to secondary for 5 days ).The yeast i used was saflager and was designed to be used at low temp(the pack actually says optimum temp range of 10-15 degree )...so my fermentation , whilst slow was complete....i'm wondering if your yeast is asleep cause its too cold for it ?
anyway...my 2c..
and as what to do...
Maybe try letting it warm up a few degree's ? (someone will disagree...i know...i know...all those off flavours...lol )

I'm pretty sure the european lager yeast is w-34/70 and the premium lager yeast is s-23. I wouldn't bother racking it IMHO. How long has it been since you gave it a stir?

The yeast supplied is a European Lager yeast packaged by brewcraft under the morgans lid.

I read in another thread somewhere where it was mentioned it was S-23

The tin says to ferment between 12 and 15 degrees for best results, which is what i have done, I am wondering if i should rack and pitch more to get this batch finished

Cheers Coops

I gave it a swirl a few days ago, without taking the lid off, then this morning took the lid off and gave it a stir.

A few hours later now, and no activity as yet.

Cheers Coops

yeah...i just checked....we both used s-23...so your yeast should be doing its thing at the temps you suggested...
Maybe give it another hydro check in a couple of days....the old airlock aint bubbling doesn't mean it hasn't kicked off again after the stir....

The yeast supplied is a European Lager yeast packaged by brewcraft under the morgans lid.

I read in another thread somewhere where it was mentioned it was S-23

The tin says to ferment between 12 and 15 degrees for best results, which is what i have done, I am wondering if i should rack and pitch more to get this batch finished

Cheers Coops

Morgans come with "Brew Cellar" branded yeast, not Brewcraft. Brewcraft European lager yeast may well be s-23.

I gave it a swirl a few days ago, without taking the lid off, then this morning took the lid off and gave it a stir.

A few hours later now, and no activity as yet.

Cheers Coops

You'll probably need to leave it longer than a few hours to see...

yeah brewcellar I meant, thats a typo on my side sorry.

Yes i will do another hydro check tomorrow to see if any change, as I know the airlock is not a reliable indication.

Cheers Coops

Back