Lager Hop Schedule

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guysmiley54

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm about to try my first lager attempt :beerbang:

I tried and liked the Gage Roads Premium Lager recently and the label said it uses Hallertau hops.

I'm thinking of the following schedule:

Magnum 10gm - 60 min
Hallertau 15gm - 30 min
Hallertau 15gm - 10 min

Brew at 12 with S23

and maybe dry hop with Hallertau at 20gm... I only have 50gm of Hallertau, that's why I'm using Magnum for bittering. This gives me around 23.4 IBU which is in style for an Australian Premium Lager.

Any thoughts/recommendations?

Cheers :beer:

Dry hopping a lager would generally be a no-no.
Even your hop schedule could do with dropping the 10min and/or 30min addition.

I agree no dry hopping, but think some later boil additions add a more 'european' lager quality, whereas a bittering only addition is more in place with an Aussie, American or German Lager.

I say go for it, coz there's only one way to know what you like, and that's to brew it!

Cheers

Cool, will skip the dry hop (wasn't sure about it anyway)

What about quantities and timing for the schedule? (23L batch)

How long are you planning to boil?

For a 21L batch (90 minute boil) my hop schedule for a dortmunder style lager is:
22.00 gm Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] (90 min) Hops 10.8 IBU
11.00 gm Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 10.7 IBU
8.00 gm Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] (15 min) Hops 1.8 IBU

So, most hops are utilised in the bittering with only some for flavour and none for aroma.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Ken

I'm doing a 60 minute boil. I'm used to doing ales and I thought my planned flavour and aroma additions for this batch were reserved....

Although I'm not too fussed with tradition, I usually take style guidelines into consideration (as I'm still learning how to design my recipes). Gage Road Premium Lager had a very nice hop aroma that reminded me of James Boags Premium Lager over a decade ago. These days, Boags Premium is very bland in comparison to my memory of this beer and in comparison to the Gage Roads I tried.

Has anyone tried to clone this one? Anyone tried an (Hallertau) aroma addition in their lager?

Latest posts

Back