Lager And Ale Mixed Recipe Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpsmusic

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm relatively new to AG and I'm a fan of malty brews. I have a recipe question which I'm sure someone here will be able to answer.

What happens if a malty lager recipe is used (say, the Traditional Bock recipe in BCS) but it's fermented with an ale yeast (S04 or US05)?

Cheers,

Chris

The US-05 will work fine, probably best around 17
Wouldn't recommend the S-04, might turn out a bit estery.

The other way to go is to make a very malty pale ale and ferment fairly low with a clean yeast such as US-05 or Wyeast 1056

eg. 100% Bairds Perle Malt or 20% maize if you want it a bit less "chewy" but still heaps of maltiness.
A "lager" hop such as Saaz

Make it to at least 5.5% ABV and, when served cold it hits a similar spot to a strong cold lager.
It's my main style of house beer now but I tend to use the Styrians family (Bobek, Aurora, Styrians) which makes it aley/lagery

PromisedGoldMedium.jpg

<snip>

The US-05 will work fine, probably best around 17
Wouldn't recommend the S-04, might turn out a bit estery.

The other way to go is to make a very malty pale ale and ferment fairly low with a clean yeast such as US-05 or Wyeast 1056

Or Nottingham, if you can get it down to its lower limit of 14 deg. I did a Pale Ale (among others) with it, in the dead of winter, and I was really surprised how clean it came up. I used Weyermann's Pale Pilsner malt (therefore had nothing to hid behind) and it still turned out super clean.

Or US-05, I've got one going at 19 degrees, and smells fantastic.

Goomba

Latest posts

Back