Lactobacillus - Is It Contaminated?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewlord

Reaction score
I extract brew and on completion of the boil I siphon the hot wort from my stockpot into a no-chill cube. Normally I leave it overnight then I rehydrate and pitch my yeast after I siphon the cooled wort into my fermenter.

When I siphon, I use a hose 'extension' on my siphon hose. This is a small piece of tubing which fits over the end of the siphon hose which I use to suck the hot wort into the bend of the hose. I then remove the extension piece before I let the flow run into my cube.

However, tonight I inadvertently didnt remove the extension piece and therefore allowed the flow of wort through this 'contaminated' piece.

I have read that doing this can allow lactobacillus and other bacteria from your mouth contaminate and sour the brew. However, all the references I can find mention this as a problem when racking finished beer or cooled wort.

As I was transferring near boiling wort do I have a problem or would the hot wort have sterilised the extension piece and killed any contamination?

Any advice would be appreciated. :angry:

I would guess that near boiling wort should sanitise enough.

Only one way to find out really.

Latest posts

Back