Lack Of Gas In Glass Out Of Keg System

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergi

Reaction score
a mate of mine has just rolled up with a gas problem,"cut out the wise cracks b4 you start",anyway his problem is that his first glass of beer seems to hold its head and has carb, but after about his second or third the head disappears within aminute and only has a few bubbles in the glass, he makes can and a kilo brews so they are generally fairly bland. he runs his serving pressure at about 100/110 kp.any thoughts.
fergi

I used to find my lines were a bit too long and I'd balanced the system based on the first pour, which was often inaccurate because the beer in the line was a bit different to beer in the keg. Basically the beer in line had gas pockets in it where the gas had come out of solution, and this I think made it have a decent head on the first pour but not so good on subsequent pours. Solution was to just cut the line back.

That's a good fix Mark - I guess the first pour now seems even more frothy than before, but the following pours are all good?

That's a good fix Mark - I guess the first pour now seems even more frothy than before, but the following pours are all good?

Nope, the first pour is less frothy and there isn't a difference between subsequent pours.

I do have an unrelated issue where my chest freezer is colder at the bottom than the top, which means I try and hook my bronco tap onto the keg handle and have the tubing dangling down to the bottom of the keg to ensure the beer in the line stays cold. If I don't do that it does froth up more on the first pour. Just a usual temperature thing. It's because that chest freezer sucks and my collar isn't sealed properly and I guess it's the case of there being nothing more permanent than a temporary solution if you know what I mean.

Getting my font reconditioned tomorrow so hopefully a thing of the past.

well he seems to have constant pouring pressure of about 100/110kp, its always on, the first 1 or 2 glasses seem ok but subsequent glasses lose head very quick and there is a distinct absence of carbonation in the glass.
fergi

well he seems to have constant pouring pressure of about 100/110kp, its always on, the first 1 or 2 glasses seem ok but subsequent glasses lose head very quick and there is a distinct absence of carbonation in the glass.
fergi

Is he using the same glass or is he gettting a new glass each pour? One of my mates pointed out using a headmaster glass that the first couple of pours he got good head but after a couple from the same glass it started losing it's capacity to hold head and carbonation

if you pour 4 glasses at the same time are they all ok? maybe he's transfering somthing to his glass from his lips[been sucking on somthing fishy/pussy ;)

if you pour 4 glasses at the same time are they all ok? maybe he's transfering somthing to his glass from his lips[been sucking on somthing fishy/pussy ;)

well his missus is a stunner, so i reckon thats the problem, he has got pussy lips, i will tell him that.

isnt 100/110 kpa a bit high for pouring pressure ???????

i run 70kpa and get good heads on my beers

Ernie

isnt 100/110 kpa a bit high for pouring pressure ???????

i run 70kpa and get good heads on my beers

Ernie

Depends on temperature, beer style, line length etc.

Everyone told me 100kpa was the 'norm' but I find 50kpa more to my liking.

I'm normally at 100kPa, but I need to sort out my line lengths as I think they are too long.

Nope, the first pour is less frothy and there isn't a difference between subsequent pours.

I do have an unrelated issue where my chest freezer is colder at the bottom than the top, which means I try and hook my bronco tap onto the keg handle and have the tubing dangling down to the bottom of the keg to ensure the beer in the line stays cold. If I don't do that it does froth up more on the first pour. Just a usual temperature thing. It's because that chest freezer sucks and my collar isn't sealed properly and I guess it's the case of there being nothing more permanent than a temporary solution if you know what I mean.

Getting my font reconditioned tomorrow so hopefully a thing of the past.

So while we are at it can we solve my problem, my beer tap poors slow.I don't get the full flow out of the diameter of the spout.My beer lines are three meters long, 2 degrees and pressure of around 50kpa.Would shortening the beer line increase flow rate??

Andrew

So while we are at it can we solve my problem, my beer tap poors slow.I don't get the full flow out of the diameter of the spout.My beer lines are three meters long, 2 degrees and pressure of around 50kpa.Would shortening the beer line increase flow rate??

Andrew

pressure sounds a bit low, depending on length of hose ,etc etc,there is a balancing your keg system article somewhere on here, i think by crozdog if i remember, try a search , or try 100 kp if you want to try that first but better off finding the balance your system article.
fergi

pressure sounds a bit low, depending on length of hose ,etc etc,there is a balancing your keg system article somewhere on here, i think by crozdog if i remember, try a search , or try 100 kp if you want to try that first but better off finding the balance your system article.
fergi

I did read it and did the formular, said I needed 17M of hose!!!!!!!

Make sure you adjust the hose diameter, as this will have a bearing on the outcome. In my kegerator I use 3m line at around 12psi, set at 4C.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back