Labelling kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not personally remotely offended.

I just know there are many female brewers both amateur and professional. Some are het, some gay or bi or whatever else. I like the diversity of beer, I like the diversity of the community who like beer, I want this forum to be open to all those in that community.

Doesn't mean I won't make the occasional 'phwoar, tits' comment or that everything needs to be sanitary - just a bit of respect for anyone and everyone who enjoys making and drinking a pint is a good thing.

Completely understood. Was an offhanded comment without thought.

My wife was a self-proclaimed beer non-drinker, bordering on beer hater for many years. Her first trip to the Czech Republic got her tune changed. These days she'll even ask for a glass of a dark homebrew with dinner, even though I may have already put a bottle of white wine on the table for her.

Plenty of females will also drink "beer" when it's disguised as a Kriek, Peche, Cassis or a Framboise.

If you turn out a good variety of decent homebrew, you may yet convert some of your housemates. :drinks:

peteru said:
Her first trip to the Czech Republic got her tune changed. These days she'll even ask for a glass of a dark homebrew
I love a good Czwczwczwczw porter

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1476602463.926203.jpg
White electrical tape, cheap, simple and sticks when the kegs are wet. One roll lasts forever. Stick em on the fermenters to

Srsly Eaton Laser (Superoo's) tags are the biz... I need to get some more too. No problem if you don't have the beer type exactly, some small postage labels will fit right over the text and write in texta the special brew name etc. Haven't tried the white back of them with whiteboard marker yet..

peteru said:
My wife was a self-proclaimed beer non-drinker, bordering on beer hater for many years. Her first trip to the Czech Republic got her tune changed. These days she'll even ask for a glass of a dark homebrew with dinner, even though I may have already put a bottle of white wine on the table for her.

Plenty of females will also drink "beer" when it's disguised as a Kriek, Peche, Cassis or a Framboise.

If you turn out a good variety of decent homebrew, you may yet convert some of your housemates. :drinks:
:icon_offtopic: My wife, SILs & female friends all happily drink beer on occasion. They just don't like VB/CD/bland-bitter-lager-crap - kinda like most of us here, really!
But they seem to be big fans of tasty beers with interesting flavours... though i'm struggling to convert them to IPAs/DIPAs (all good, more for me!).

On the current topic, i just use little paper stick-on labels. Bit amateur, particularly when you have to write "TECH" "NO" on your minikeg at a case swap, but it does the trick.
Those labels DJ mentioned are pretty damn nifty, having seen his recently.

technobabble66 said:
:icon_offtopic: My wife, SILs & female friends all happily drink beer on occasion. They just don't like VB/CD/bland-bitter-lager-crap - kinda like most of us here, really!
But they seem to be big fans of tasty beers with interesting flavours... though i'm struggling to convert them to IPAs/DIPAs (all good, more for me!).
My wife and I spent a year in North America. At the start she couldn't handle an IPA by the end she was slamming down Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA and loving it.

Painting masking tape is made to be easy to peal off. The coloured stuff. I use it on many things. The white stuff can be a pain in the arse to get off especially if left for some time. Or you can make it a tag looped through the handle is what I do for serving kegs, tap ID etc.

Practicality is all that matters sometimes.

Bits of card with a hole punched in it. Rubber-banded to each fermenter handle (I do big batches) with batch # & date. Gets transferred to the kegs & updated with transfer date etc...etc.. Discarded once the keg blows.

I use these cardboard tags from officeworks. Can be attached to the cube, fermenter, and keg with a rubberband and info such as OG, FG and Alc % updated along the way.

Edit: Beaten to it by MartinOC

Chuck another one out there (not sexist discussion, though my Mrs thinks Feral Hop Hog is a "quaffer" (her term for sessionable) and is 1 week off having a kid and fanging for a beer) - what about tags or labels for the taps themselves?

Like the old sherry or whiskey bottle (or decanter) tags that you see in antique shows - a modern version of those for the taps on your kegerator/keezer.

TidalPete said:
TidalPete, on 15 Oct 2016 - 08:02 AM, said:

Scrap white plastic sheet cut to size with that double-sided Velcro for the tie-down.
Actually, just a mini whiteboard that can be reused on both sides over & over again ad infinitum.
Still use these on the fermentation fridges.
They have lasted a long time.

Fermentation Stickers.JPG

Post-it notes for the win! They go from the fermenter to the keg with OG, FG etc.

Just thought I might add that I have ruined my wife for, quote 'commercial beer'. She is sour mad now too!

Back