kveik hop flavour degradation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osangar

Reaction score
I've completed a few recipes with kveik now, and I'm scratching my head about hop flavor - or should i say, lack thereof.

when I do a recipe I've used before with US-05, the same hop quantity when using kveik results in a muted result.

has anyone experienced this ?

Is Kveik yeast more flocculant that US 05 yeast?

If it is it's possibly dragging hop flavour/aroma compounds down to the bottom of your fermenter as it settles out at end of primary fermentation (yeast are sticky critters). Your hop flavour is still there, but more of it is in the yeast cake than the beer.

Last edited:
Is Kveik yeast more flocculant that US 05 yeast?

If it is it's possibly dragging hop flavour/aroma compounds down to the bottom of your fermenter as it settles out at end of primary fermentation (yeast are sticky critters). Your hop flavour is still there, but more of it is in the yeast cake than the beer.

hrmm, looks like it may be time to learn how to make vegemite then and make use of those hops and their shifty, sticky mates

I've completed a few recipes with kveik now, and I'm scratching my head about hop flavor - or should i say, lack thereof.

when I do a recipe I've used before with US-05, the same hop quantity when using kveik results in a muted result.

has anyone experienced this ?
YES! I have used kveik extensively over the past two years and found that it will completely mutilate any hop profile that I try to build. I have had to yield to this powerful trait of kveik and mostly brew pseudo lagers with it. Anything that I want to be hoppy will have to be brewed with a different yeast.

YES! I have used kveik extensively over the past two years and found that it will completely mutilate any hop profile that I try to build. I have had to yield to this powerful trait of kveik and mostly brew pseudo lagers with it. Anything that I want to be hoppy will have to be brewed with a different yeast.
thank you- at least I'm not going nuts and doing something wrong

as an update, i brewed a pale ale:
90% pale ale
10% crystal 60
25g centennial @60
25g cascade @40
55g cascade @15
55g cascade flameout

the taste: I was expecting a rather strong bitter beer as Beersmith suggested 53IBU - I would say this was more like about low 30s IBU. the hops are fresh and have been kept in a freezer prior to use.

it does seem that kveik is a hop destroyer yeast, ill keep trying and report on the outcome

ok, final update for posterity:

been on keg for a week, carbonated, and looks great.

taste: the hops are muted - bitter, yes, but a week-old cascade beer, not at all.

It's like the happiness of the hops are gone; on the positive side, the taste of the kveik (as minimal as it is with lutra) is completely masked, and the clarity is very good.

overall, for a beer that fermented in three days, waited for space in the keg for a bit in the secondary (keg at 15c) and is ready to go to the party - well ok, not bad at all. but I do think it is a waste of hop power.

Back