Krausen Before Pitching

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samhighley

Dyslexic beer dog
Reaction score
Due to an inability to get a decent starter going from a Coopers Pale Ale yeast harvest, I ended up with 3 days between wort being prepared and the yeast being ready to pitch.

Upon opening the fermenter to pitch the yeast this morning, i've discovered that there is a healthy krausen on the wort, and the smell is a little odd.

So i'm thinking a yeast infection of some sort.

Interestingly the SG has dropped from 1050 to 1040 as well!

I'm wondering whether the SG drop could just be from the wort settling out over three days?

The krausen and odd smell has me worried though.

Sam

Your wort is contaminated, maybe with a wild yeast.

WJ

Due to an inability to get a decent starter going from a Coopers Pale Ale yeast harvest, I ended up with 3 days between wort being prepared and the yeast being ready to pitch.

Upon opening the fermenter to pitch the yeast this morning, i've discovered that there is a healthy krausen on the wort, and the smell is a little odd.

So i'm thinking a yeast infection of some sort.

Interestingly the SG has dropped from 1050 to 1040 as well!

I'm wondering whether the SG drop could just be from the wort settling out over three days?

The krausen and odd smell has me worried though.

Sam

Sam - sounds very much like a wild yeast has taken root in your fermenter. The drop in gravity would follow this as would the off smell. There is only one solution to this and it involves watering the lawn.

Sad one Sam.

Cheers, Hoges.

Krausen + SG dropping = 99.999% chance fermentation is happening.

Could be a nice accidental lambic :)

ITS POSSESSED!!! DEVIL YEAST!!! DEVIL YEAST!!!

I'll bring the holy water, you grab the Bible and start reading...

THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!!! THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!!!

Lobby

Taste it when its finished. If its not foul bottle it and see how it turns out. True there is 99% chance that it will be undrinkable, but hey so what, give it a chance. If for no other reason than to semi-justify the money you spent on the ingredients.

It currently has a very strong mediciney flavour.

This does not seem good :)

Cut your losses and start again. Don't waste your time and bottle space on this. Chalk it down to experience, next time have the yeast waiting for the wort, not the other way around, and don't give in to the sunk cost fallacy.

MFS

Urk, band-aids...

Taste it now and toss it if it's bad. There will be more cleaning later, and the bugs may get into any scratches in the vessel.
Then you'll be up for a new fermentor, and more if U get cranky and chuck it/kick it.

I did the same thing a little while ago, although only 1 day before pitching. What a waste of yeast and wort! :(

Les out :p

Yeah, at this point i'm thinking of watering the garden with it.

I'm running low on bottles at the moment, so bottling it requires an investment of $30, not to mention the time involved.

It really seems *very* unlikely that anything good can result from this brew.

Chalk it up to experience. Always have the yeast ready to pitch!

Sam

Sunk cost fallacy:
The reluctance to get rid of something that has required the considerable investment of time or effort to obtain, although it is known to be useless. We've all done it, putting off throwing something away because we paid good money for it, even though it just sits there gathering dust.
In my experience persevering with a dodgy brew is the same thing.

MFS.

Oh well, it's in the garden now.

I was amazed how slimy the wort was. It ran out of the fermenter like motor oil, and felt much the same.

Sam

Oh well, it's in the garden now.

That's a pitty. I would have dropped the fermenting temp and see what will happen. It really could have become a nice lambic. :chug:

Cheers,

Alex

PS: How's the garden now? ;)

You guys make me laugh... An infected brew is NOT a lambic.
Brewing a good lambic is one of the most difficult things to get right.

MFS

Latest posts

Back