Kooks Ag Setup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kook,

You said you had problems with your Keep Cold Mash Tun leaking , I found it was necessary to place a thick plastic pipe sleeve over the bulk head fitting so when you tighten the inner and outer nuts thesleeve puts pressure on the thin inner wall of the Cooler .

Wow the size of the HLT how much does it hold ?

You may find there is no need to have the gravity feed with your March pump you can transfer the liquids easily and if you lowerered your HLT you can move it more to the left away from the Plastic Tun .

However Kook I think you will find that it is not difficult to over come the heat issue I melted my first Cooler .

I found it took a few goes to iron out the Bugs you have but you are off to a gre8t start.

Pumpy :)

Mash tun leaks were resolved a few days ago. The bulkhead leak was due to lack of thread tape. Similar problem with the thermometer, though I also removed the inside washer (SS) which seemed to help too.

I haven't worked out the max grain the tun can hold yet, but it's 57L :)

The gravity feed from the HLT is required when I fly sparge.

Currently waiting for some starter wort to cool. Unfortunately my flask doesn't fit in the microwave, and I wasn't game to put it directly on the stove. So I've had to settle for boiling the wort in a saucepan, then transferring to the sanitised (phos acid) flask. We'll see how it goes.

Kook, you can use the mash tun calculator on this page to work out how much your mash tun can hold. Looks like you can mash 18kg of grain. :D

Currently waiting for some starter wort to cool. Unfortunately my flask doesn't fit in the microwave, and I wasn't game to put it directly on the stove. So I've had to settle for boiling the wort in a saucepan, then transferring to the sanitised (phos acid) flask. We'll see how it goes.

If its an erlenmeyer then its good to go on a gas hot plate but I tend to use the smallest burner not the largest.
Its great being able to boil the wort with the stir bar in it and then let it cool and drop the yeast in. One less transfer step for something bad to happen.

Kook,

You said you had problems with your Keep Cold Mash Tun leaking , I found it was necessary to place a thick plastic pipe sleeve over the bulk head fitting so when you tighten the inner and outer nuts thesleeve puts pressure on the thin inner wall of the Cooler .
Wow the size of the HLT how much does it hold ?

You may find there is no need to have the gravity feed with your March pump you can transfer the liquids easily and if you lowerered your HLT you can move it more to the left away from the Plastic Tun .

However Kook I think you will find that it is not difficult to over come the heat issue I melted my first Cooler .

I found it took a few goes to iron out the Bugs you have but you are off to a gre8t start.

Hey Pumpy,
Can you post a pic of the pipe sleeve arrangement as I have noticed that the wall of the cooler does collapse a bit with tightening and I wouldn't mind strengthening it?

Re splashing the march pump - I had the same problem, I also had a small piece of aluminium bar and a maccas tray lying around, my solution:

DSC00822.JPG
S

Hey Pumpy,
Can you post a pic of the pipe sleeve arrangement as I have noticed that the wall of the cooler does collapse a bit with tightening and I wouldn't mind strengthening it?

Yep when I get home will post a pic

On the subject of measuring the volume, I just put Litre marks on my stirring spoon.

Simo

Purchased a 600mm stainless ruler today. Looks perfect for the job, will be testing it all out tomorrow morning with a water run.

:beer:

Let us know how it goes - if it works, then maybe I'll get one and bend the end of that over :ph34r:

Hey Pumpy,

What happened to the pic of you pipe sleeve? :unsure:

Sorry PB

It took me four months to get home but here is the pic of the plastic pipe sleeve i use on the bulkhead fitting on a 38 Ltr keep Cold Cooler tun to stop any leaking around the innner wall as there would be nothing for the nut to tighten onto ,
It goes between the two washers dont know why I removed to take the pic

pipe_sleeve.jpg

here it is in position damn there is still a silicone rubber washer missing but you get the pic

pumpy :)

sleeve_two.jpg

nice one pumpy, just got my new mash tun in the post today was looking at the best way to go through the bulk head, as on my 25L rectangle I just clamped to the inner plastic after I cut everything else away.

Sorry PB

It took me four months to get home but here is the pic of the plastic pipe sleeve i use on the bulkhead fitting on a 38 Ltr keep Cold Cooler tun to stop any leaking around the innner wall as there would be nothing for the nut to tighten onto ,
It goes between the two washers dont know why I removed to take the pic

Cheers Pumpy, all is now clear, it's been tough sitting here at the PC for fours months but well worth it :D

I've done something similar to what Pumpy did but have used a 1/2 inch stainless socket where he has used plastic pipe sleeve & just screwed it tight with vicegrips against a silicon washer & stainless washer on the inner wall.

Jez

I've done something similar to what Pumpy did but have used a 1/2 inch stainless socket where he has used plastic pipe sleeve & just screwed it tight with vicegrips against a silicon washer & stainless washer on the inner wall.

Jez

My setup is the same. Stainless socket, washer and silicone washer.

Jez

A stainless steel round socket is a great idea got a bit more thickness to it

Latest posts

Back