Kolsch Extract

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muthead

Reaction score
Hi All,

So whilst my lager, pilsner & saison CC in one fridge I made an impulse ebay purchase. Small Westinghouse bar fridge modified for homebrew for $20. Happy.

I'm going to put down a Kolsch this week, my first attempt. After doing some searching and playing with Ian's spreadsheet I have come up with following. If anyone thinks I'm missing something or over doing anything please let me know.

1.5kg Pale LME
1.3kg LDME
300g Dry Malt Extract
30g Hallertauer @ 60
WLP029

4 litre boil. OG 1046 & FG 1011 with an IBU of 27.

Am I missing anything? Should I add any steeped grain? I really don't want to overcomplicate things, just a dry and crisp drop :)

Cheers,
Mut

last year i did a kolsh sort of beer out of the beer and brewer mag

TC Pilsner
1kg LDME
150g Wheat Malt
150g Pilsner Malt
20g Hallertau @ 10
20g Hallertau @ 0

Used US05 (should have been a kolsh liquid though)

Mini mashed the grain.

all in all not sure if it was close to a traditional kolsh but it did turn out quite tasty. The big thing i would change is increase the IBU to give a firmer bitterness too it or increase the grai n component to get it drier.

Hi All,

So whilst my lager, pilsner & saison CC in one fridge I made an impulse ebay purchase. Small Westinghouse bar fridge modified for homebrew for $20. Happy.

I'm going to put down a Kolsch this week, my first attempt. After doing some searching and playing with Ian's spreadsheet I have come up with following. If anyone thinks I'm missing something or over doing anything please let me know.

1.5kg Pale LME
1.3kg LDME
300g Dry Malt Extract
30g Hallertauer @ 60
WLP029

4 litre boil. OG 1046 & FG 1011 with an IBU of 27.

Am I missing anything? Should I add any steeped grain? I really don't want to overcomplicate things, just a dry and crisp drop :)

Cheers,
Mut

Sorry the 300g should be dry WHEAT malt!

I wouldn't be able to get a recipe like that down to less than 1014 or 1015 with that much liquid/dry malt, meaning it will not be crisp and dry. Thats using us05, don't know if wlp029 is lots more attenuating.

I do quite a few recipes like that and find if i sub 300-400g of ldme for dex or sugar it makes them much crisper and not seem so sweet and under attenuated.

I would look at using a weyerman pilsner or a briess dried malt extract.

The weyerman is available from CB and is expensive - the website doesn't seem to indicate volume but it looks like a resealable container that my contain a few brews worth. I know Grain and Grape stock the dried.

I've not used the extracts but recommend them based on the quality of their grain which I use regularly. If I went back to extracts, I would use them exclusively I reckon. They weren't available here when I brewed extracts.

I also think replacing some fermentables with a touch of dex, as suggested above will help.

CC well and drop as much yeast out as you can. I understand it to be reasonably hoppy (not necessarily bitter) so consider a 20 minute addition to get a bit of that hallertauer lemon spice in there.

Hi Guys, appreciate your suggestions. Have modified to the below - look better?

1.5kg LME
1kg LDME (Briess)
500g Dry Wheat Malt
300g Dextrose
30g Hallertau @ 60
20g Hallertau @ 20
WLP029

OG 1045, FG 1011

Cheers,
Mut

Hi All,

I put this recipe down a couple of nights ago and ended up going with the WY2565. Does anybody have experience with this yeast? I am using glad wrap and the krausen is doing its best to get through - is this normal for this yeast?

I have also been told that this yeast takes a while to floc out, so fining and lagering for 3-4 weeks is neccessary? Can anybody confirm?

Cheers,
Mut

Hi Muthead,
I'm drinking a kolsch right now that i used 2565 for, can't comment on the clearing as i filtered it but the ferment was pretty active, nice thick krausen on the top, and that was at about 17 deg.

The strong ferment is a good sign and should help with making a nice dry kolsch.

Cheers
Dmac

Hi Muthead,
I'm drinking a kolsch right now that i used 2565 for, can't comment on the clearing as i filtered it but the ferment was pretty active, nice thick krausen on the top, and that was at about 17 deg.

The strong ferment is a good sign and should help with making a nice dry kolsch.

Cheers
Dmac

Thanks dmac - I see you're in Maitland also....

Back