Strong extract flavour

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazza101

Reaction score
Hi guys, as per my previous post, I have recently Brewed a mangrove jacks Munich lager with 1.5kg of LME (Munich) and 300g Dex.

They have been bottled for about two weeks, which is how long the jacks recipie stated. Cracked one today. I find it is quite dark, is quite cloudy and has a heavy extract flavour.

It's not too bad and obviously will better with age, but I have another I want to brew the same and looking for pointers to do different this time around.

I virtually mixed all together to 23ltr as per normal, gave a good stir, pitched can yeast at 25 degrees and fermented between 18-22 degrees till stable FG.

At a minimum I am going to use saf 05 yeast this time around. Anything else I could do to reduce LME flavour and cloud? The beer almost has a bit of a stout flavour, but it still has a good taste.

Any tips or pointers?

Thanks again in advance

Dazza

Also gonna cold crash for 4-5 days as well this time around

Hey Dazza

2 weeks in the bottle is still pretty green mate..
I would give it another 2 to 4 weeks to age and settle a bit more.
Just my honest opinion mate

Temperatures are what I have been finding make the biggest impact on cleaning up the flavour.
Us05 at 16 to 18 degrees is awesome.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1461450344.827365.jpg
This is the same beer. One with us05 at 16 degrees and one with kit yeast at 24 degrees.

Wow that's a massive difference! Mine (both batches I have done) look like the beer in the right. Looks definitely like 05 yeast and 16-18 degrees is the way to go!!

Yeah and just cold crash for 2-3 days if you want them clear.

Just an update guys,

Have taken the advice above and my "Munich lager" is almost a week in the fermenter. Still bubbling away, not that quick anymore but still 1.5 times to 2 times a minute.

The smell from the airlock is muchhhhhh s pother than from the first batch I tried, which stopped bubbling after 3 days...

And I swear even though it's in the plastic fermenter it looks much lighter... But maybe that's just me hoping. Anyway, all seems to be going well with the 05 and fermenting at between 16-18 degrees...

I will probably test the gravity in 3 days to see where it's at (if it's stopped bubbling by then) with a view to bottling early next all going well and stable gravity

You'll probably find they will taste better if you give them a few days to a week in the fermenter after it reaches FG as well, rather than bottling straight away. It gives the yeast more of a chance to clean up any shitty flavours and what not. Most of my batches fermented with ale yeast stay in the FV for about 3 weeks.

Right. Another 2 weeks it is then! I am in no rush and want to get it nice. Thanks rocker

Dazza101 said:
I virtually mixed all together to 23ltr as per normal, gave a good stir, pitched can yeast at 25 degrees and fermented between 18-22 degrees till stable FG.

At a minimum I am going to use saf 05 yeast this time around. Anything else I could do to reduce LME flavour and cloud? The beer almost has a bit of a stout flavour, but it still has a good taste.

Any tips or pointers?

Thanks again in advance

Dazza
Just pointing out that nothing about that beer is a lager. If you actually want to brew a lager, try 34/70 or s-23 which are lager yeasts. You will also need to pitch and ferment around 10-12deg and cold condition the beer for a couple of months. What you are making at the moment is probably more like an alt.

Thanks Gal, i am aware of that. I am only calling it "Lager" as that is the name on the can.

Once i get a good stock at home and a temp controlled fridge i will be moving onto a lager style beer, most likely a Munich Helles style.

Regards,

Dazza

Latest posts

Back