Kneebones coffin keezer build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I prefer the solid manifold, the JG stacked one can have leaking issues

Regards the tap handles, with the rope and brass rings they're pretty cool, without they're just sticks.

Your choice ;)

I made some progress today!

I started with setting the threaded inserts to bolt the top to the freezer.

IMG_2637.JPGIMG_2640.JPGIMG_2639.JPG

I've cut some threaded rod to bolt all the way through, I went with this method because I need to tile over the location where the bolts go. Hopefuly they don't fail, i added some MS polymer adhesive as a safeguard.

I struggled a bit getting the coffin put together square, it turned out pretty good though!
It all fits to the mm between the tiles :super:
IMG_2641.JPGIMG_2642.JPG
IMG_2645.JPG

I still need to get the top sorted and the rear access door.

I've added a layer of cement sheeting so the grout doesnt crack when the wood shrinks/expands.
IMG_2648.JPG

Next was to check out the cement sheet & MDF top so the drip tray would sit flush with the tiles.
IMG_2649.JPGIMG_2652.JPG

I finished the evening off by glueing the front peice of wood to the underside of the counter.
IMG_2653.JPG

I'm hoping to get all of the construction finished tomorrow so I can get the stain on during the week...

Stay tuned!

- Kneebone

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1427970330.535255.jpg

My stc-1000 arrived in the mail :)

I'll be playing sparky this long weekend!

I'm not 100% sure on the wiring diagram i'll be using but was looking at this one.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1427970483.676173.jpg
I think i'll do a little bit more research!

'Playing sparky' is a very dangerous and possibly deadly game.. please get a licensed sparky to confirm your circuit before powering it up.

Not trying to rain on your parade, but electricity really is not something to be playing with.

On a lighter note, looks like the coffin is coming along nicely!

Time for an easter long weekend update!
I started the long weekend with some nice and dusty hole sawing...
1 hole for cold air intake into the coffin, 1 hole for the cold air to circulate back into the chesty and the middle hole will accomodate the beer lines.
This was an absolute prick of a job as I had to go through the cement sheeting, the MDF and then the chesty lid... the hole saw did not like it one bit.
IMG_2671.JPGIMG_2672.JPG
You can also see my 4 bolts holding the counter on to the lid. I still need to add some large washers.
I sealed all of the MDF that was under the cement sheeting, aswell as the inside of the holes that I had just drilled.

I got the coffin 90% finished...
I cut the lid with 15mm overhang so i could router a nice roman edge on the underside.
IMG_2676.JPG
I'm not fitting the lid until I have drilled out the holes for the taps, It will make my life a little bit easier!

I went to jaycar and got a jiffy box suitable to house the stc wiring. I then wired it all up using this diagram
stc_1000_wiringdiagram_resized.jpg
IMG_2688.JPGIMG_2686.JPGIMG_2683.JPGIMG_2678.JPG
The jiffy box fits well with a nice neat GPO facing out the back.

So once all of the woodwork was done I got busy sanding ready for 2 coats of walnut oil based stain.

I applied the stain with a rag and recoated about 12 hrs after my first coat.

IMG_2689.JPG

I'm really happy with the colour it came out, I envisioned it to be a little darker/ashy but am pretty content with this!

Oh, and one last pic of the rear access panel on the coffin.
IMG_2692.JPG

So I'm really hoping my taps come in early this week so I can have them all test fitted before I get into varnishing.

I just kegged a pale ale and dropped it in my mates fridge ready for some mid week pints... I was hoping to save it for my keezer but it tasted too good out of the fermenter to wait. I'd better get another brew on this week :)

- Kneebone

Mate that keezer is a thing of beauty [emoji106] top job can't wait to see it finished and filled

My perlicks finally arrived!!
IMG_2742.JPG
Unfortunately the black plastic collars on 2 of the shanks were broken.

So i measured out the holes and drilled 3 22mm holes so suit the shanks.
IMG_2744.JPG

They look the business! i'm so glad i went with the 650ss taps :D
IMG_2748.JPG
IMG_2749.JPG

I've also attached some wood for the access door to close on, which will have some rubber seals.
IMG_2751.JPG

I was supposed to varnish today but after a few too many beers last night it took me a while to get started today haha! :chug:
-kneebone

Shmick setup,the handles look great .

awesome job mate.... that top must be getting bloody heavy though?

Thanks man... yeah it's getting pretty heavy... I'm going to investigate some gas struts or something...

I added some castors last week.
IMG_2752.JPG

Set up for a few coats of cabots gloss polyurethane
IMG_2754.JPG

Inbetween coats i rubbed it back with some 0000 steel wool... that worked a treat and left me with a nice smooth glossy finish.
IMG_2757.JPG

I Installed the 4 way gas manifold to the inside lip, it clears the lid perfectly. I just used 2 small SS screws for this.
IMG_2761.JPG
IMG_2762.JPG

I bought some rubber weather seal from Bunnings and ran a strip around the coffin access door jam. I just need to sort out a latch to hold it shut.
IMG_2764.JPG

I tiled the counter top. I ended up using a MS polymer glue to hold the tiles down instead of thinset... they wont budge a bit!
IMG_2766.JPG
IMG_2767.JPG

Next up was cutting the smaller granite splashback tiles. I used a 4" grinder with a stone disc.
IMG_2772.JPG

I also used the MS polymer to glue these down.
IMG_2774.JPG

The gaps you can see down the side are going to be covered by some nice wood trim after I grout them.

It's starting to look very functional :D

I'm still waiting on my LED light strip and the x2 fans.

I think it should be 95% complete this weekend, I will be able to get it out of the garage and into the house :)

- Kneebone

leighaus said:
*In relation to the coffin, you can go to bunnings and get adhesive foam roll. It cost about 40 bucks for way too much, but its perfect for lining the coffin to keep the cold in :D
Hey any chance you have a product name or a picture of this? I haven't had much luck in finding it in bunnings.

I have 4 unbroken plastic collars you can have if you want them. I have no idea on fright from Brisbane to Perth but there yours if you want them.

Thanks for the offer dude! I contacted cheeky peak and they are sending some replacements... I will be changing them out for some chrome ones at some point...

Kneebone have you thought about subway tiles there 100 x 200 n would work in the space, you would use a few more but would come up nice

Sorry mate didn't see there was another page my bad lookin good mate awesome job

Latest posts

Back