Knappstein Larger

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok it doesn't have the usual lager flavour

By 'usual lager flavour' do you mean a Dunkel, Vienna & Doppelbock, or is VB & Tooheys New your gold standard reference for the style ? What is your benchmark for a lager characteristic?

Now you've gone and made Nick pull out his big plank references.

If I were asked to define a usual lager flavour, I'd say noble hops.

Not NZ hops named after a wine for bitches and their wives. :p

Lagers aremade by chaps who seriously thought they could defeat the British ... fools with good taste.

Yes it is too expensive. but hey, that's craft beer in Australia. At least in this particular case you are buying a high quality product, not like some of the dross ...

hey if you like picking up on typos try here
http://www.englishclub.com/

Excuse me pal - It's not that I like picking out typos - in this case, it wasnt one anyway. You thought lager ws spelt "larger". You also think that a lager is meant to taste a "usual" way. What taste that "usual" taste is for you is probably VB or the like. Yes, I'm making assumptions here, but from what you post, I feel i'm on the right track.
Thirdly, you create a topic that states WTF $18 A FOUR PACK???!! as if people on here would cry outrage at any craft beer costing that much. Well- I for one am not going to agree with you, perhaps you would find a better reception for your ignorace somewhere else.

yeah $18 bucks is steep!

can the bottle shops sell it at 18 bucks? looks like it, good on them!

I was opening a thread to discussion the beer not stir an outrage, if people are prepared to buy it and like it cool.

It's a pity we have to let f'wits have a voice, but it's a free country I suppose ...

Sense of humour is something that even in free countries must be expensive. People like yourself seem unable to afford one.

Now, just so you can understand the significance of a little yellow face with its tongue out, here's four of them:

:p :p :p :p

(hint: they mean joking)

Many lagers do use noble hops as someone else here mentioned and many others (like Fosters) use PoR hops

I think, though, that the defining feature of a lager is the use of a yeast (like Saccharomyces pastorianus) that is able to happily ferment at lower-than-ale temperatures and that can break down melibiose aiding in a "cleaner" and drier character than ales.

Other than that anything goes in terms of the generic term "lager". But I kinda/sorta get what you are saying. The super-fruity American-style hops would suggest a beer that is more like an APA.

yeah $18 bucks is steep!

can the bottle shops sell it at 18 bucks? looks like it, good on them!

I was opening a thread to discussion the beer not stir an outrage, if people are prepared to buy it and like it cool.

Most bottle shops (or at least, the good ones) just put a standard gross profit (GP) margin across all of their products. This might be say, 33% for individual bottles, 25% for 6-packs (and if you're lucky; mixed six-packs) and 12-15-18% for cases of 24. And so the price on the shelf directly reflects the cost to the bottle shop.

So, if a 6-pack of VB is priced at $13.50 and a 4-pack of Knappstein Lager is priced at $18 then it is Toohey's fault for selling the latter beer at such a high cost to the bottle shop - bottleshops generally don't just jack up the price because they think punters will pay that price without question. They will put a fairly consistant GP across their beers - especially the fairly easy-to-find ones.

(ps - Plonk in Canberra does mixed six-packs and mixed cases for the same rates at straight six-packs and straight cases - yay!)

(pps - last time I checked Plonk was selling a four-pack of Knappstein for $15.90)

"Knappstein" probably signifies the other activities of the caveman who buys it. Banging rocks together.

"Knappstein" probably signifies the other activities of the caveman who buys it. Banging rocks together.

Who doesn't love a bit of , eh?

And who you calling a caveman? Just cos I lived and worked in a very pleasant tropical mountain rock shelter in Sri Lanka doesn't make me a caveman! :p

also, the most recent cavemen were anatomically modern Homo sapiens with comparable brain sizes to us and produced quite complex stone tool technology

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to Dan Murphys today .
I went to get a couple of stone and wood pacific ales to see what it is all about.
naturally theydidn't have them ...so I got.
1 knappstein reserve lager = $4.60
1 HEF = $3.60
1 wicked elf pale ale = 4.99

see how they go.

I went to Dan Murphys today .
I went to get a couple of stone and wood pacific ales to see what it is all about.
naturally theydidn't have them ...so I got.
1 HEF = $3.60

see how they go.

I got a first choice (coles - they are really becoming aggressive) catalogue - $15.99 for S&W PA. I'm going to take that baby into my local dan's and see how cheap I can get it.

Goomba

I got a first choice (coles - they are really becoming aggressive) catalogue - $15.99 for S&W PA. I'm going to take that baby into my local dan's and see how cheap I can get it.

Goomba

As beernorks said, the Dans he went to didn't have it.
The one I went to didn't have it either.

Dans, on another note, seem to have reduced the amount of international beers they have on the shelves

As beernorks said, the Dans he went to didn't have it.
The one I went to didn't have it either.

Dans, on another note, seem to have reduced the amount of international beers they have on the shelves

I live between 3 of them, and they all have it. Seems strange you guys don't.

The only thing may be the fact that Byron is fairly close to me.

You could try First Choice Liquor Savers Superstore (or whatever ridiculous moniker they've given it at the moment).

Goomba

All Dans are not created equal.

I went to one the other day that was not much better than a lickerland.

The one I usually go to has such a huge range the buds on my tongue threaten to revolt if I don't hurry and choose. Staff think I'm shoplifting because I'm there for fifteen minutes and I only buy one stubbie.

out of the 3 I got

1 HEF = $3.60

I thought the Knappstien was actually pretty good.
However the more I drank the less I liked it...it sort of tastes like wine.
The wicked elf was pretty full on at first , but the more I drank the more I liked it.
the HEF...um yeah ...glad I tried it but not for me.

I probably couldn't have a big session on any of them.

Just as a heads up, Vintage Cellars have included Knappstein Lager in their discount range this month. 2 * 4pk for $32, there's also a few other beers under the same system. Grabbed a 6pk of LCPA and a 4pk of KL today.

Back