Kit Beer Bos At The Nationals

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a kit v ag argument just isnt the same without drewcarey82....

I'd bet my left nut on the fact that AG'ers can still produce a really shite tasting and looking beer, same as anyone else.

So prior to anyone climbing on their soapbox to rant about the merits of AG brewing uber alles, remember that everyone is different and brews for different reasons.

End the argument and move on to something interesting FFS!

Hi!
I've been brewing at home all of three months, i absolutley love buying the extract kits, getting my sugars, malts, hops and small amounts of grain etc etc. Starting my yeasts, mixing the ingredients, getting the temps right and brewing my own beer. I'm a kit brewer and it's my most recent passion and i see myself doing it for years to come. The enjoyment i get out of drinking my own beer that i made myself is second to none and i like my beer better then drinking an average commercial beer from the bottle shops at highly inflated prices. If that makes me a "second class citizen" in the eyes of one forum member then so be it. But there is no need to take anything away from a blokes achievment just because it isn't your chosen field, MAH.

Just remember, we all start out somewhere.

"For f*&cks sake, Stagger was only congratulating a fellow brewer that managed to score BOS...end of story."

Thanks Steve

Guys relax and have a home brew, brewing is fun but not when this happens. Only time arguments happen is when others read more into posts than they should.

I think it is fantastic that a kit won, I am an all grain brewer and will stay that way. This was meant to be a positive post, some of the comments are not.

AGAIN congratulation to you Dan

Stagger

... I'm a kit brewer...
Be careful there, hooky. To some of our deific beer-gods here you aren't a brewer, merely a "fermenter" :p . Join us mangy, lowlife "fermenters" and be happy in the knowledge that we don't need to run around justifying our existence by loading crap on those not worthy. I brew AG... I also brew kits. I have made some great versions of beers (and some utter crap) utilising either method. I even assisted in the formulation of several brands of brew kit when I was still working in the industry (I have a test formula for a new kit brewing in the fridge as we speak). I have seen kit-based beers win out in competition over all-grain beer countless times - much to the chagrin of our beloved "superiors". You will always hear the acolades of a champion all-grain beer being spun but, perhaps not so surprisingly, they tend to hush up rather quickly when a kit-based beer takes out BOS. So my thanks to the original poster for being willing to stand tall and risk taking a mash-paddle to the head for daring to point this out to us.

Beers,
TSD

EDIT: Spelling

And congratulations to Coopers/Muntons/ESB/whoever made the kits.
that would be the same as congratulating the company that malted the grain you use wouldnt it.
and as for my earlier post i was just pointing out that we are all different and just because we all get told this is the way you should do it, most would choose their own path.

it would be like me telling you to get rid of what every you drove and replacing it with one of the hybrid ones, no.
im proud to say that i am a brewer that can and always will follow my own style, and if that mean admitting im a k&k/ extract brewer so be it

Easy there, barls. I brew kits as well as AG, as well as extract and partials. Depends on how much time I have, what my stocks are like, etc... I don't doubt that you enjoy brewing.

A brewer makes wort. Kits are concentrated wort. If someone entered an St Peters Fresh Wort into a comp and won, would he be the champion brewer or would Matt Donelan?

Well done MAH, you caught me too :p

I was going to post something along the lines "yeast makes beer, brewers make wort, kit users rehydrate the work of brewers and then think they are doing the work of yeast". But I better stop before the fishing inspector comes because I've already caught my bag limit for the day. I'm especially proud of the mighty PoMo I caught, I'm sure it doesn't happen often.

1hookchase.gif

Cheers
MAH

I'm especially proud of the mighty PoMo I caught, I'm sure it doesn't happen often.

PoMos are known to thrash around on the deck for a while, and sometimes slip back over the side.

Who cares, if you make good beer that's what matters.

Personally i get more consistent, better results with AG but whatever floats your boat and works.

BBB wasn't there in the case of BOS at the NSW champs - it was a 3% Berliner Weisse!
Stretching the argument, one might say that the Nats was extract-biased. The Berlinisch weisse was not allowed to compete, but my Kit/adjunct "Old Ale" competed and scored a Third in the Strong Ales.

However, the sour beer beat the Old Ale in a head-to-head for BOS at the NSW comp (first and second, the way I heard the tale). Some beers are hard, or even impossible (watch my language, or someone will prove me wrong) to brew without going the all-grain.

Having said that (OK, written, actually), both are good beers in their own right and I have had extract beers do well at the State level and qualify for the NATs in the past.

What does it all mean? Who cares...? I'm just exercising my bragging rights, I think. :D

Seth :p

that would be the same as congratulating the company that malted the grain you use wouldnt it.

Not really, because the kit companies have to thank the maltsters as well :)

But here we hit a snag ......

Shouldn't we really be thanking those resposible for the grain - but is this the farmer or the plant breeder ?

Has this argument got silly enough yet ? :D

Not really, because the kit companies have to thank the maltsters as well :)

But here we hit a snag ......

Shouldn't we really be thanking those resposible for the grain - but is this the farmer or the plant breeder ?

Has this argument got silly enough yet ? :D

Not nearly. There is a divergence here. The mash brewer (and the unhopped extract brewer, more or less) makes his own work from base materials. The kit brewer dilutes a concentrated wort made by someone else. Of course we all have outside inputs into the finished product, and ingredient selection is no doubt of importance... but why will no-one take on my earlier question? St Peters Brewery or the guy that added water and pitched yeast?

To some of our deific beer-gods here you aren't a brewer, merely a "fermenter"

Just between you and me SD, the deific ones tend to worship yeast as THE Fermenter

To these narrow minded few, the correct term for someone who has mastered the art of opening a tin, boiling a kettle, ripping open a foil sachet and sprinkling its contents, is a fermentation assistant.

With such sheep like pedants around, is it any wonder the world of Australian home brewing is in such a shambolic state :eek:

awrabest

stu

Latest posts

Back